Software - Support > Installing Linux Lite

Linux Lite 5.6 won't boot to hard drive

(1/2) > >>

BoBrown:
I posted this once but didn't see it after a few hours.  So apologies if it appears twice.  I installed Linux Lite 5.6 to a SSD using a newer motherboard system with UEFI and a Ryzen CPU.  I was then able to boot from that SSD fine.  I then moved the SSD to the target system an old Athlon 64b 3500+ PC.  It will not boot to the hard drive. I've also tried a Seagate rotating drive with the same results.  The drives are recognized by the BIOS (non secure) but I only see a cursor on the display.

Running from the DVD I can see that the partitions seem to be correct using Gparted.  I have attached a txt file of the system HW and a link to a screen shot of the Gparted is here:

https://imgur.com/a/3KAnhaN

Jerry:
Can you not just install onto the Athlon 64 system?

WytWun:
Doing the installation on a UEFI system leaves the SSD (and the HDD you tried) configured to only be bootable on a UEFI system.

You can check whether the Athlon system's BIOS has any UEFI support and try enabling it if so, but I suspect it is too old for that.  Can the Athlon system boot from any form of USB device other than a HDD/SSD (e.g. USB CD-ROM or USB flash drive)?  Failing that, does your Ryzen system support "Legacy" or "CSM" as an alternative to UEFI?

BoBrown:
Jerry, No I tried 3 different HD and all four SATA ports on the Athlon MB and every time I tried to install Linux from the DVD it would crash after 12 or more hours.  That's why I tried using the newer MB which took about 20 minutes to create the install.

BoBrown:
WytWun,

Athlon MB to old to support UEFI and BIOS will only boot to HD or DVD not USB. I think you may be right about my Ryzen system supporting a Legacy BIOS mode.  I'll try that, it's just a big hassle to tear apart the Ryzen system. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version