You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 3.0 on a Netbook

Author (Read 16954 times)

Re: Linux Lite 3.0 on a Netbook
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »

bfb

• Banned
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
I have an Dell netbook like that, and find that using Midori rather than Firefox helps a lot.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:55:11 PM »

Mike

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Enthusiast
    • View Profile
I have an Acer chromebook so I can relate. As JmaCWQ mentioned, it's probably best to disable processes that you don't use much. For me personally, I disable the Network (nm-applet) and bluetooth (blueman-applet) applets. Those two alone use almost 100MB of ram. Even though the network indicator isn't showing, you'll still be connected to your router. You can verify that with a quick ping in terminal. I've even contemplated getting rid of lightdm too.

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 04:42:47 PM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
I have one of those and they are frustratingly slow specially when watching Youtube. All I can suggest is not to have composition engaged. As for other suggestions if boot times are slow look at the recent systemd posts on how to have certain components not be running to help that. I found it a bit complicated (code for lazy).

I even tried putting more ram as it does come with 1 gig I expanded it to 2 gigs and it was not much help other than increasing the amount of available ram so it was not forced to go into the swap file (as that can really slow down this beast)

So yea it's a good machine but it's very close to it's end of life. I tried to install puppy linux on it a while ago and it gave me some problem that again I was to lazy to fix.

Yea other than ram I can't think of anything else

On a side note did you have any problems with the multiLang keyboard? t=6 Just curious....
I'v been bashing Windows way before Microsoft.....

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
I've done a similar thing on an MSI L1350D with similar specs to your Acer netbook.
It runs quite well I find, but it's also the most powerful I've owned so I guess my definition of 'terrible' might be different to someone who's used to more powerful hardware.

Only entries I have checked in Application Autostart are:
Network
Policykit Authentication Agent
Power Manager
PulseAudio Sound System
Thunar
XFCE Volume Daemon
XFSettingsd
User Folders Update

I think the XFCE desktop & LL itself are probably optimised about the best they can be for lighter powered systems.
There's a ton of articles about speeding up Linux on the web but how effective they really are I have no idea.

Linux Lite 3.0 on a Netbook
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 02:04:02 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
I have a Acer netbook (Intel Atom/1 gb.) that I have installed Linux Lite 3.0 x32 on & in autostart have turned off bluetooth/Print Queue/Systemback scheduler, as I do not need them. Is there anyone who is using LL 3.0 on a netbook, or who can make suggestions, on how to speed it up. No complaints about Linux Lite. Netbooks are cheap, low end items. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would not say it runs terrible, I am just looking for any ideas to 'make it a bit better'. Thanks once again to everyone.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section