You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 3.0 freezing on end of install

Author (Read 5815 times)

Re: Linux Lite 3.0 freezing on end of install
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 07:01:54 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
You really should try installing 64 bit. Sometimes, and I've only encountered this with Linux Lite, and LXDE, and only on older amd cpu's, but when you try to install 32 bit the installer will bail right at the end of the install, and sometimes the system is actually installed, so check. The other thing is that 32 bit does not necessarily run faster on amd 64 bit cores, nor is it guaranteed to thread, and it may not read ram correctly, and it may pause boot indefinitely, and then default to windows if you don't hand it off manually, usually with F1. Try a 64 bit install and you can check your video card support first, but it is probably supported since 2.8 seems to run.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 11:11:41 PM »

tommykry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo core2 2.0ghz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Video
Awesome!
Thanks again.
Tommy

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
You can use Systemback for this which comes with Linux Lite :)
Plenty of manuals online, like this one.

Other possibility is using Clonezilla.

:)

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:36 PM »

tommykry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Ok thanks,
I have a question, before i wipe the drive clean again and try LL 3.0 Installation from scratch again, i have an installation of LL 2.8 running great and updated etc... is there a way i can make a disc image of the full install so in case the LL 3.0 doesn't work i can wipe the drive and reload the 2.8 image w out having to install everything from scratch so i can be right back to where i was w LL 2.8?
or any links on how to do an image backup so i can just load it back if the 3.0 won't install?
Thanks buddy
Tommy

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:20 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I definitely would give it a try. Nothing to lose. Especially considering that the smart Devs have activated the firewall by default :)

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 10:43:43 PM »

tommykry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So you think that would help have the computer online while i install? I always thought it was better to just install fro live dvd then after installation run all the updates?
Should i hook it up online and check to do the updates and install the restricted extras as well?
Thanks
Tommy

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 10:39:33 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Torreydale is talking about the installation you did before with the only exception that you connect the computer to the internet and download updates etc. during installation. You can choose/configure this during the normal installation process.

Hope that helps :)

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 10:04:39 PM »

tommykry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you for the suggestions, i've never done an internet installation do you have any links or suggestions how to try any of these?
I guess i can google them and try.
Thanks.
Tommy

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Perhaps the newer kernel of Linux Mint 18 and Linux Lite 3.0 is having a challenge with your hard drive.

I would install with an Internet connection.  Maybe install restricted extras after the install using Lite Software...if you get that far.

Another option would be to take a Systemback image of a machine (or virtual machine) running Linux Lite 3.0, boot your sister's laptop to that image, and install Linux Lite 3.0 to your sister's laptop that way.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 03:42:33 PM »

tommykry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

hi Jerry, thanks for replying, i checked the LL 3.0 download w the md5sum and it matches so i know i have a good dl, the weird thing is i downloaded LL 2.8 and burned it to dvd and it installs fine.
Even more weird is if i remove the hard drive from the laptop then i can get any distro to fire up from dvd ( i was testing to see if it was something specific) these are all 32 bit distors as i guess this laptop doesn't do well w 64 bit.
I tried Linux mint 18 and LL 3.0 and w out the hard drive in they will boot up to live dvd and everything works, if i put the hard drive back in the live dvd just freezes and never really boots past the splash screen.
I have wiped the hd completely and tried it w the same results, i only got LL 3.0 to boot up to live 1 time w the HD in and tried to install and it froze towards the end.
I am selecting only the defaults on installation and only check install restricted extras, also i do not have internet plugged in during install.
LL 2.8 installs fine so i am clueless to why 3.0 won't?
So right now i have 2.8 installed running fine but i really wanted the latest version for my sisters laptop w all the updated apps.
it seems to be something w the hard drive being present as like i said when i pull the drive out all the distos and versions boot to live session no problem.
thanks i appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:44:49 PM by tommykry »

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 01:07:53 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

What are all the options you are selecting when you go through the install wizard?

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »

tommykry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply, ill check checksum when i get a sec, i did try off a usb stick with the same iso and couldnt even get it to live session from that (could be bad iso?) and im not connecting it to the internet till its installed then i do all the updates.
Its weird that the dvd of 2.6 works, maybe ill re download it again?
Thanks.

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Welcome Tommy..

Couple of things to check/try...
1st confirm the checksum (md5) hash of the downloaded file; if it matches you're all set, if not re-download.
If the hash checks out.. Try..
  • Connecting with an Ethernet connection vs. WiFi you could be dropping signal..
  • Don't let the laptop go to sleep; not sure if exactly related but some instances were the screen has locked to username prompt (if it does the user name matches upper left corner and blank password)

If it does fail again; could you post the error message(s) it may lend info to the issue..

Another item to try would be creating a liveusb (use windiskimage32 for Windows or unetbootin for Linux to create the disk)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Linux Lite 3.0 freezing on end of install
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:48:11 PM »

tommykry

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi All,
Loving the new Linux Lite 3.0 have been using it as my main OS since its release and think its awesome!
My sister has an older Laptop (Acer Aspire 9300-5349)that came w Vista 32bit and 4 gig of ram, 160gig Hard drive
this one
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Acer_Aspire_9300-5349_NotebookPC-DataSheet.pdf
Anyway i picked it up from her on vaca and have 2 weeks to try and get linux lite running on it. i would love to get 3.0 on it but cant seem to get it installed, im using Linux Lite 3.0 32bit on dvd
I can get it to boot and work in live mode fine, but when i go to install it, it freezes at end of installation and i have to power off the computer as it locks up completely, ive tried it a few times and does the same thing.
Like i said it works fine in live mode.
I had a dvd laying around of LL 2.6 and it installed it and it works fine but would really love to use the new version 3.0
So if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it.
Thanks
Tommy :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section