You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 4 keeps freezing

Author (Read 7864 times)

Re: Linux Lite 4 keeps freezing
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 03:42:27 AM »

MohamedKhaled

• Forum Regular
  • Using Dell Inspiron 6400
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo t7400 2.16GHZ-2.17GHZ

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
clearly, the host abandoned the post as I said its clear that he is whining rather than asking for help
Just Installed Linux lite??? check this tutorial
Have I Helped? Click [Thanks] button to the right.
Yours,
Mohammed Khaled

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 03:59:07 AM »

sobermadman

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@supergamer - unfortunately, for me that's not a solution. I always give my VMs at least 3 GB of ram and plenty of space, they still act up on the 4.15 kernel. My hardware is less than 3 years old, so I suspect that isn't the issue either, and if you get support for 10 year old HW, that would suggest the problem lies elsewhere. I just wish I knew where exactly :-)

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 11:43:06 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
I ran into some of the issues a few times. I am not saying this will fix it if your using the vms to test really it isn't an issue yet. On the 18.04 base stuff try upping the ram to 2GB in the machine and also try redoing the machine with more space like 20GB. I had some of the lockups with my testing on my stuff with not using enough ram and/or giving it enough space. The new way of using a swap file is the issue and not having enough ram will make it expand the swap to compensate for that. Just from my testing I can concur that the 4.15 kernel is leaving older hardware behind but I am still getting support for 10 year old stuff so far. You should try both solutions separate to see if one fixes it.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »

sobermadman

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@kpanic - Hibernate is already deactivated in my settings :-)

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 04:50:37 PM »

kpanic

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i5 M450

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GT216
@sobermadman ,

I see. In that case, try at least disabling hibernate
(Use "Suspend" instead - if needed)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:54:36 PM by kpanic »

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »

sobermadman

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@kpanic - Well for me that probably wouldn't be a solution since I need the lock screen (lock session) function. Plus like I said, the locked screen thing isn't the only problem I've been encountering with the 4.15 kernel on LL4 as well as on Mint 19 XFCE and Xubuntu 18.04, all as VBox guests. My solution so far, when I use a virtualbox guest, has been to go back to LL 3.8 using the 4.4 kernel which gives me none of those problems.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:49:09 PM by sobermadman »

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 12:11:46 PM »

kpanic

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i5 M450

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GT216
Tried LL 4 on two different laptops and it keeps locking up. I guess I'll have to install Linux Mint. That at least seems to be reliable.

Hi,

I don't think this is a kernel issue either.
Please try changing your power manager settings: Start -> Settings -> Power Manager

Then try these settings:

Under "General" Tab, choose "When Hibernate Button is pressed" -> Do Nothing
"When laptop lid is closed" -> Suspend (to both entries)

Under "Security" Tab, choose "Automatically lock session" -> Never

Under all tabs, disable hibernate (Don't let your laptop hibernate or lock session, just suspend).

Let us know if it helps
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:38:23 PM by kpanic »

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:07:48 AM »

sobermadman

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
This might actually be a kernel thing. The 4.15 kernel does seem to cause a number of problems; I am also finding that from time to time, LL4 freezes, or I can't get back in from the locked screen, or the internet connections dies, and then there's no way the system will respond.

However, I encounter similar difficulties with Mint 19, and all other OS I've tried which use the 4.15 kernel.  On the other hand, no problem at all with LL 3.8 which uses the 4.4 LTS kernel (or any other OS I've tried using 4.4); that's rock solid and NEVER gives me any trouble.

I should add that I'm using the above mentioned OS (LL, Mint etc) as guests in Virtualbox, so this may be a VB thing, though there are untold reports of problems relating to the 4.15 kernel in host systems. As it happens, I'm trying LL4 again right now, there's been a kernel update, and each time that happens I'm hoping things may have been ironed out, so maybe this time :-)

PS: And three  hours or so later, I can confirm: The latest kernel update hasn't solved the problem. Unable to log back in from locked screen, and hard shut down as the only remedy. Now it's important to note - this is NOT - absolutely NOT - the fault of Linux Lite!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:45:42 AM by sobermadman »

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 02:36:29 AM »

MohamedKhaled

• Forum Regular
  • Using Dell Inspiron 6400
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo t7400 2.16GHZ-2.17GHZ

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
Hi can you please describe your problem instead you aren't asking for help in such post but instead telling newcomers that LL sucks (it worked for me well when I had 1 Gb of ram) probably you made something wrong
Just Installed Linux lite??? check this tutorial
Have I Helped? Click [Thanks] button to the right.
Yours,
Mohammed Khaled

Linux Lite 4 keeps freezing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »

jacatone

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: P4

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon 9550
Tried LL 4 on two different laptops and it keeps locking up. I guess I'll have to install Linux Mint. That at least seems to be reliable.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:32:31 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section