You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exit

Author (Read 20195 times)

Re: Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exit
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 11:01:13 PM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Dual Core 1.6 GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb
Maybe I need to edit some boot parameters, can you suggest what should I add or remove? I am able to check install media through LL live usb and now can also boot into LL safe mode? But it shows the kernel panic error when booting with default options.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Please try the following: Disable PnP  in the BIOS, and try installing LL 64bit. Also here is a decent link for dmidecode usage.

https://linux.die.net/man/8/dmidecode

Learning Linux is a happy thing.

This link may help you understand how to modify boot options for the LL live dvd or USB.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

TC
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:46:09 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Rebooted but it is back to the same error again, also tried the one time boot thing, it is F11 in my system but had the same results, here's the results of the commands you asked for.

Code: [Select]
farjia@farhome:~$ sudo dmidecode -t 0
[sudo] password for farjia:
# dmidecode 3.0
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.5 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 080015
Release Date: 05/11/2010
Address: 0xF0000
Runtime Size: 64 kB
ROM Size: 1024 kB
Characteristics:
ISA is supported
PCI is supported
PNP is supported
APM is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
ESCD support is available
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
BIOS ROM is socketed
EDD is supported
5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
Serial services are supported (int 14h)
Printer services are supported (int 17h)
CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
LS-120 boot is supported
ATAPI Zip drive boot is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
BIOS Revision: 8.15

farjia@farhome:~$ sudo dmidecode -t 4
# dmidecode 3.0
SMBIOS 2.5 present.

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 40 bytes
Processor Information
Socket Designation: CPU 1
Type: Central Processor
Family: Unknown
Manufacturer: Intel           
ID: F2 06 00 00 FF FB EB BF
Version: Genuine Intel(R) CPU            2140  @ 1.60GHz     
Voltage: 1.3 V
External Clock: 200 MHz
Max Speed: 1600 MHz
Current Speed: 1600 MHz
Upgrade: Other
L1 Cache Handle: 0x0005
L2 Cache Handle: 0x0006
L3 Cache Handle: 0x0007
Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Core Count: 2
Core Enabled: 2
Thread Count: 2
Characteristics:
64-bit capable

farjia@farhome:~$ sudo dmidecode -t 24
# dmidecode 3.0
SMBIOS 2.5 present.

farjia@farhome:~$

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I'll wait for the picture, but now that you have Sparky running I believe it has dmidecode installed by default. You might as well open a terminal and post the results of the following commands:
sudo dmidecode -t 0
sudo dmidecode -t 4
sudo dmidecode -t 24
(There is one space between the -t and the  number)
Also I meant for you to use the one time boot menu (often the F12 key) to manually select the LL live USB to boot from.

TC
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:18:43 PM by trinidad »

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, it is running fine and it solves my problem of the app I wasn't able to run in puppy, but I changed my cmos battery this morning and done everything else, bios got reset automatically after taking the battery out, reset the clock and date and changed the quick boot to normal one and set usb to boot first and inserted LL usb but it didn't work BUT the error screen was different from the last one, I'll take a pic when I reboot the next time and post it here.

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

If Sparky installs and runs okay, afterwards try the LL live USB again. Simply put, HDD installations of Puppy without grub2 are not user friendly to some ISOs.

TC

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I already tried the other usb ports and can't try cmos battery change till tomorrow since it is night time here and since I had some time till morning, I downloaded sparkylinux-4.6.1-i686-lxde-stb and put it on the usb and it booted fine and I replaced puppy with it, right now it is running upgrade, which will take a little time (339mb) after that I'll test it further, I am still confused as to what the problem was with LL, I'll still try to change the cmos battery tomorrow and see if it boots up.

Sorry if I came of as rude in my last comment, wasn't my intention, maybe LinuxLite is not compatible with my system or whatever, I am not really skilled.

Thank you both so much for trying to help.

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 11:52:18 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Hard logic to follow in this thread. Too many variables.  Including user linux skill level.  I am not judging. Just observing.

Hopefully the other usb ports or cmos battery is the answer. I run LL 3.x  on a Acer Desktop that ran Vista. So a  Windows  7 computer should handle things OK. I would think. Funny part is. Let's say you run with something else. Like Lubuntu, Sltiz, Salix, Slax , LinuxBBQ, etc..............

Next step will be just as confusing as this thread.  Re-learning new syntax and how other distros accomplish  things.

But it is your show. Happy Trailz, Rok
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:40 AM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I had win7 on the same drive before and lubuntu 17.04, had no problems with those, my monitor is crt but has 1024x768 resolution and passes all the other minimum requirements in the link. I'll try the cmos battery thing tomorrow, if that doesn't work then I'll try some other distro.

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

IDE drives have pin connections for master/slave. Make sure those are correct. CD drive should be slave. Your system may be too old. Old IDE drives have very slow bus speeds by modern standards. You don't give OEM DOM. You may be better off with Knoppix. If you are having trouble with apps in Puppy you will certtainly have trouble with LL3.6. Is the monitor CRT? LL3.6 has minimum requirements.  See below:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php#requirements

You could try LL2.x

TC
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:15:13 AM by trinidad »

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It's a desktop that is giving the problem, I'll plug in a new cmos battery tomorrow (although, I am sure I had it changed like 2-3 months ago when I replaced the cpu fan) and reset bios and cmos clock and see how it goes, the machine is fairly old but runs like butter, I have no problems with it, it's just that I am having some trouble running some of the apps with puppy. It has the ide drive btw.

Is this like the last resort? If this doesn't work, should I give up and move on?

Also, I tried all the other ports, nothing worked.. :-[
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:03:39 AM by farjia »

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Is the machine that won't work a laptop or a desktop? If it is a desktop you may need a new cmos battery. Have you changed any hardware on it recently IDE or Sata, Pata drives. Have you changed the boot order recently? Run the reset to default BIOS routine I explained above and reset the cmos clock. This allows the BIOS to correctly locate your hardware, and you may even be instructed to replug a device to a different board connection. If the cmos clock is not correct when you reenter the BIOS after the reset the cmos battery is dead. Put in a new battery and do the reset to default all over again. LL live cannot locate some I/O address/es correctly and you will need to correct this in the BIOS. How old is the machine and what kind of drive is in it? Also disable any remote service client in the BIOS.

TC   
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 09:19:59 AM by trinidad »

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 05:16:58 AM »

farjia

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I haven't deleted puppy yet, waiting for your go/no-go and/or ready to try if any other suggestions you have prior to deleting puppy or if you want puppy removed any other way.

About the usb port thing, I have like 6 ports, I can try all of them and see if it changes anything, I am sure they're not all bad, they all read/write any usb plugged into them perfectly.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:25:19 AM by farjia »

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 06:38:59 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I doubt it's a bad USB port since Puppy worked on it. If you deleted Puppy with gparted it's too late to change the SELinux settings and the bootloader file could now be corrupted on the drive head sector. It's now a BIOS issue. Reset your BIOS to default and the cmos clock, Save and exit. Shut down again and enter BIOS again, enable Legacy boot, disable fast boot, disable secure boot, make sure the cmos clock is correct, make sure USB ports are set to live pre-boot, save and exit and then run a one time boot menu (Often F12 key} and boot LL from the USB.

TC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:44:44 PM by trinidad »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section