You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 5.0 USB only shows "grub>"

Author (Read 4865 times)

Re: Linux Lite 5.0 USB only shows "grub>"
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 08:17:26 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you for the quick response!

I tried again with Etcher. Windows can't read the USB drive after flashing. My BIOS did recognize it this time and I managed to run LL (woohoo!). But then after rebooting my BIOS stopped recognizing the USB drive as bootable (never had this issue with other distros).

So it kind of works but requires some retries and Windows doesn't like the image at all. I don't know if it's a problem with Etcher or with the image. Other distros boot perfectly from USB on my machine so it may be unlikely that it's a local issue.

Any ideas? Does anything of what I mentioned sound familiar?

That is regular etcher behaviour; it formats the USB so Windows can't see it. I suggest you use rufus https://rufus.ie/ to burn the .iso in Windows and ty to boot again after doing so. I've used it and it's worked so far, haven't tried with LL 5.0 though.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 03:44:26 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Try another burn, this time with Etcher open, press Ctrl + Shift + i That will bring up the dev console, set it to Verbose so you can see what is happening live. Take note of any errors and see if they exist here - https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/issues

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:31:26 AM »

Amit Lavon

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Thank you for the quick response!

I tried again with Etcher. Windows can't read the USB drive after flashing. My BIOS did recognize it this time and I managed to run LL (woohoo!). But then after rebooting my BIOS stopped recognizing the USB drive as bootable (never had this issue with other distros).

So it kind of works but requires some retries and Windows doesn't like the image at all. I don't know if it's a problem with Etcher or with the image. Other distros boot perfectly from USB on my machine so it may be unlikely that it's a local issue.

Any ideas? Does anything of what I mentioned sound familiar?

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Start from scratch. Format the USB to fat32. In Windows get the latest Etcher here - https://github.com/balena-io/etcher/releases/download/v1.5.95/balenaEtcher-Setup-1.5.95.exe
The drive should not be unreadable, make sure your BIOS is set correctly to boot the USB device first and/or press the correct key to boot from device when your pc starts, eg. on my HP laptop, it's F9.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »

Amit Lavon

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Update:

I tried to flash the drive from Linux using dd. After that I did get the boot menu (yay!), but then when I selected run live mode it said "you need to load the kernel first".

Huh?

Linux Lite 5.0 USB only shows "grub>"
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »

Amit Lavon

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Hello. I just heard of LL and I'm excited to try it out  ;D

I flashed the 5.0 ISO on my USB drive and rebooted my PC. When booting from the USB drive, all I get is a "grub>" command line. No loading screen or anything. I expect a live version to run, correct me if that's not what it should do.

I am on Win10; BIOS Mode = Legacy; PC is about 6 years old.

I tried using Etcher to flash the drive as recommended. It reported success but rendered the drive unreadable. I tried Linux-Live and Rufus which I typically use for other Linux distros. They flashed the drive successfully but then I got the grub thing.

How can I make LL run? Happy to provide additional information if needed.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section