You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installing Lite 3.0 on External Hard drive

Author (Read 4331 times)

Re: Installing Lite 3.0 on External Hard drive
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »

RobGoss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • RobGoss

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: R5220
So does this mean there's alternative drivers I can use with this AMD system? And use 3.2 Light ux lite

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Is there any AMD proprietary drivers  for 3.0? why would they make it for 2.0 and not 3.0

Quote from: Ubuntu
The fglrx driver is now deprecated in 16.04, and we recommend its open source alternatives (radeon and amdgpu). AMD put a lot of work into the drivers, and we backported kernel code from Linux 4.5 to provide a better experience.

When upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 from a previous release, both the fglrx driver and the xorg.conf will be removed, so that the system is set to use either the amdgpu driver or the radeon driver (depending on the available hardware).

In a mailing list discussion, it's suggested that people who really need the fglrx driver might have to continue using 14.04 until the open source driver improves:

AMD dropped support for their proprietary-blob fglrx video driver so it can't be included in 16.04 LTS. The last release AMD did can not be used because it is incompatible with the newer x.org display server. Most people will be able to the use the open source AMD video driver, but there are a few applications (certain graphics-intensive games, bitcoin mining) for which it is inadequate. Folk who rely on such applications might choose to remain on 14.04 LTS until adequate support lands in the open source AMD video drivers.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 01:30:12 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Linux Lite doesn't make graphics drivers.  AMD decided, so far, not to include their drivers in the Ubuntu 16.04 base, which is what Linux Lite 3.0 is based on.  If you're staying with Linux Lite 3.0, and you have an AMD graphics card, you'll need to use the open source driver for it.  If it isn't working out for you, then revert to Linux Lite version 2.6 or 2.8 for now.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 06:14:26 AM »

RobGoss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • RobGoss

Is there any AMD proprietary drivers  for 3.0? why would they make it for 2.0 and not 3.0

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:22:44 AM »

RobGoss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • RobGoss

Yes I believe it is a ADM but the chome browser show OK with 2.8? If it's because the AMD graphic card

If I can remember correctly it had a different graphic card not the ADM that came with that machine I changed it sometime ago don't remember which one it was have to check
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:06:21 AM by RobGoss »

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:09:23 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Perhaps your graphics card is made by AMD.  AMD proprietary drivers exist for the 2.x series, but not the 3.x series.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Installing Lite 3.0 on External Hard drive
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 07:53:16 AM »

RobGoss

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • RobGoss

After not be able to install 3.0 on one of my machines I decided to see how well it performs on a external hard drive

First I try installing 3.0 and for some reason when I installed Google Chrome and open it I have a line across the middle of the screen faded but I can see it odd

I didn't know what to make of it because I don't have issues like this on any other device. So I also install Chromium and had the same problem

I then decide to remove Lite 3.0 and install 2.8, no issues with using the Google Chrome browser of Chromium. Anyone have any idea's what might be the problem with 3.0? and Google Chrome and Chromium

Thanks so much for any help with this I would really like to install Lite 3.0 if I could
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:56:40 AM by RobGoss »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section