Software - Support > Installing Linux Lite

Installing Linux Lite on a USB after an HD installation...

(1/3) > >>

gold_finger:
Hi Giuseppe_Chillemi,

I believe what Scott(0) posted is what you need, but I'm still a little confused.  Can you provide a picture or screenshot of what you are seeing at this point:

--- Quote from: Giuseppe_Chillemi on July 12, 2014, 01:56:12 PM ---I have started the Linux Lite Installer program and it pointed to SD1 as installation source instead of the USB Pen Drive I have booted from.

--- End quote ---

What is SD1 -- the hard drive on the computer that you installed to?

As far as I know, the installer doesn't point to any "source" -- it just points itself at a "destination" for the install.

This may not have anything to do with what you are talking about above, but I installed LL2.0 to three different computers over the last few days.  On two of them I used the same live USB with persistence enabled (made from UNetBootin) and noticed something that I don't recall ever seeing before.  When I installed to the second computer, the installer automatically filled in some things it "remembered" from the first computer I installed to.  For example, the first computer was a Dell mini and the second was an HP laptop.  When I installed to the HP, the installer pre-filled the hostname as that of the Dell I had installed to before.  I caught and changed it, but that surprised me.  Maybe something similar is what is happening to you Giuseppe.

Scott:
Hi Giuseppe_Chillemi

--- Quote ---I have made a second attempt: I have rebooted the PC from the BOOTABLE USB pen drive with LinuxLite on it; I have put the second, blank, pendrive; then I have started the installation program. Again, the Installer pointed to SD1 as source media for installation.
--- End quote ---

I believe you just need to point the installer at the blank usb drive.

When you get to this screen during the installation are choosing the option Something Else?

When you get to this screen use should be able to choose the desired usb drive (red arrow) AND make sure you choose the same usb for the bootloader (blue arrow).
note: you will replace the device names in the picture with your own device names

Does this help?

Giuseppe_Chillemi:
Scott(0) & Goldfinger

I will try to explain in a better way the issue:

I have created a bootable USB using www.pendrivelinux.com and LinuxLite 1.0.8 ISO as source media.

I have connected the Bootable USB to the PC and installed LinuxLite from the PenDrive to the HardDrive successfully.

Then I have put a second blank USB pen to install linux lite on it using the first BOOTABLE USB pen as source. This has been done without resetting the PC.

I have started the Linux Lite Installer program and it pointed to SD1 as installation source instead of the USB Pen Drive I have booted from.

I have made a second attempt: I have rebooted the PC from the BOOTABLE USB pen drive with LinuxLite on it; I have put the second, blank, pendrive; then I have started the installation program. Again, the Installer pointed to SD1 as source media for installation.

Hope I have explained it better the issue

Regards,
   Giuseppe Chillemi

PS: Shar, I have used PenDrive Linux to create the bootable key.

Giuseppe_Chillemi:

I apologize, I have been busy due to heavy workload.

I will answer as soon as possible.

Regards,
   Giuseppe Chillemi

gold_finger:
Sorry Scott -- didn't realize you were actually responding to first poster.  (Thought you weren't because that post was from a while ago.)

Your instructions look perfectly fine, but to tell you the truth I'm not entirely sure what Giuseppe meant in that post.  Sounded like he installed from USB to one HDD; then tried from same USB to another HDD, but the installer (somehow) was trying to use the first HDD as source for second HDD installation?  I don't know if that's what he meant, but don't see how that can happen, so I'm not sure what real question/problem was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version