You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

installer failed detecting existing OS

Author (Read 8350 times)

Re: installer failed detecting existing OS
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I didn't mean to criticize the help manual. I do mean to criticize dual booting with Windows on the same drive for new users. It is of course always the case that there are successes with the process, but there are also many failures most as a result of using the Windows system incorrectly, and a poor understanding of Windows partitioning. The diversity of hardware and firmware out there forces any Linux into a difficult situation; a situation where one size fits all is not possible. It is also sad that Linux is also forced to deal with training users on the proper use of Windows systems. It would be better in my opinion if an installer for dual booting with Windows on the same disk was separated altogether from the normal installer, and was separately maintained by Ubuntu or Debian or Grub. It's all so much work for the developers working in the constantly changing hardware firmware environment to then offer free software while getting little or nothing for themselves as a result. Legacy is one thing, rather easy in most cases, while modern systems are more difficult to provide for. I feel for the developers who work so hard, and for the first time users who really don't understand their Windows systems and have never used Linux before, but at the end of it I can't bring myself to recommend dual booting Windows and Linux on the same disk for any user let alone new users. The disadvantages do substantially outweigh the advantages.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 08:58:04 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

My one year anniversary installing Linux Lite is almost here, I dual boot Windows 7 home premium and Linux Lite 5.8.  I followed the instructions from the online manual verbatim and the install was without error on the first try, at the time I had never used Linux.  I had just installed a new WD 320 gb HDD, re installed Windows 7 home premium, then Linux Lite 5.6.  My laptop was almost 10 years old 4 gb of ram 2 ghtz intel celeron processor.  Everything worked on my machine right away, all but the printer as no driver was available within Linux or Ubuntu, but to my surprise everything went as was described in the online manual.  I have had a few glitches come up in regards to the time and date between Windows and Linux Lite but I found a solution on the forum to fix it.  I haven't had any other big problems dual booting and until I can get my Canon printer /scanner working with Lite I plan to keep dual booting for now.

Follow the instructions in the manual to the letter and all should work.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 01:03:03 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

The prerequisite advise is already offered in the Help Manual:

Quote from: Help Manual
Preparing your Computer for the Installation

If you are planning to have Linux Lite as the sole operating system on your computer, there is nothing special you need to do in preparation for the installation, even if another operating system is currently occupying the hard drive. Simply boot up your live installation disk, give Linux Lite a test run if you'd like, then start the installation by double-clicking the Install Linux Lite icon on the desktop. When you get to the Installation Type screen, tell the installer to use the whole disk and it will go ahead and erase anything that is already there, create the partitions needed, format them and install the system automatically.

If you currently have one physical hard drive and want to dual-boot Windows and Linux Lite, then you should do a few things to prepare for the installation to insure the best results.

Create backup copies of any important data files. (You probably won't need them - but if you do, you'll be glad you made the backups.)
    Create Windows recovery disk(s) if you haven't already done so before.
    Defragment your largest Windows partition (likely the "C: drive"). If Windows partitions currently span the entire hard drive, one (or more) of its partitions will need to be shrunk down to make room for the Linux installation.
    Shrink the Windows partition from within Windows disk management. (You can shrink the partition during the installation, but it is probably best to use Windows to shrink Windows partitions.)
    If you defragmented and shrunk the Windows partition ahead of time, leave the resulting space as unpartitioned, unused, free space. DO NOT create any new partitions from within Windows for the Linux Lite installation. (If you are familiar with partitioning and want to create the partitions ahead of time, use GParted for doing that while booted in the live Linux Lite DVD/USB.)
    If you plan to have the shrinking done by the installer, it is still recommended that you defragment the Windows partition ahead of time.

If you have more than one physical hard drive and want to dual-boot Windows and Linux Lite, with Linux Lite on its own dedicated physical drive, then we recommend you make a request for guidance in our Forum if you are unfamiliar with Linux based installations. Otherwise, general instructions for such an installation are listed below.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 11:08:43 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

First off, there is so much wonky and esoteric hardware out there today that setting up dual booting with Windows is more hit or miss than ever. Second, Linux Lite is unique in that it probably has more brand new users who have never used Linux before. I think a very cautionary tone (BIG BOLD RED) needs to be taken about dual boot installation instructions with Windows systems, and there should be post installation (READ ME) instructions regarding Windows quirks, and how to use Windows when dual booting with Linux. Should be added somewhere as well a caution against dual booting altogether (DUAL BOOTING IS NOT RECOMMENDED) especially if you are using Linux for the first time and there are other safer options like virtualization. The actual truth is that dual booting on the same disk with existing Windows systems offers more disadvantages than advantages for anyone wanting to use both systems or work cross platform. We're talking about new Linux users here who may have many valued personal files on their Windows box.

TC         
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 09:32:44 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

tiam,
Sorry about your experience and I hope you can sort it out.

This is not something I've  experienced, but apparently there are a number of conditions under which the installer can not report another OS.  The most common seems to be if W10 isn't shutdown properly.  If you search 'ubuntu installer doesn't detect windows 10' or similar you'll see a number of suggested/possible causes.

The current section in the Linux Lite help manual is already rightly cautious about what to do before installing as dual boot, but perhaps a note could be added about ensuring windows has been cleanly shutdown before running the installer.

Create backup copies of any important data files. (You probably won't need them - but if you do, you'll be glad you made the backups.)
Create Windows recovery disk(s) if you haven't already done so before.
Defragment your largest Windows partition (likely the "C: drive"). If Windows partitions currently span the entire hard drive, one (or more) of its partitions will need to be shrunk down to make room for the Linux installation.
Shrink the Windows partition from within Windows disk management. (You can shrink the partition during the installation, but it is probably best to use Windows to shrink Windows partitions.)
If you defragmented and shrunk the Windows partition ahead of time, leave the resulting space as unpartitioned, unused, free space. DO NOT create any new partitions from within Windows for the Linux Lite installation. (If you are familiar with partitioning and want to create the partitions ahead of time, use GParted for doing that while booted in the live Linux Lite DVD/USB.)
If you plan to have the shrinking done by the installer, it is still recommended that you defragment the Windows partition ahead of time.

Also, the manual has a very clear the warning about the Erase option

Erase Disk and Install Linux

NOTE: This option will erase your entire hard drive. Make sure this is what you want to do before proceeding

Then the installer itself will have shown a warning about 'Erase disk and install Linux' that makes it clear that everything on existing OS will be wiped.

Warning: This will delete all your programs, documents, photos, music and any other files in all operating systems.
clueless

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 08:48:36 AM »

enebre

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd DC E1-1200 E-300

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 6310
Hi, I had the same, it erase table partition, I suggest to use boot-repair en live usb, it will make a new partition table and a new boot loader, you will get everything back.

Bonjour, j'ai eu le même problème, il efface la table de partition, je suggère d'utiliser boot-repair en live usb, il fera une nouvelle table de partition et un nouveau chargeur de démarrage, vous récupérerez tout.

Good luck

installer failed detecting existing OS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 05:35:00 AM »

tiam

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Just to report an experience.

Yesterday I tried to install linux lite for the first time. Made a USB drive with BalenaEtcher and booted. I clicked install now. A few steps later, it says no OS detected with a warning clause (all will be erased etc.). I clicked ok thinking it's installing to the USB drive (I read somewhere Linux lite is one of the best linux runs from a USB drive). Turned out it wiped out the entire hard drive with multipe partitions. I'm working on data recovery.

It's a Lenovo T450s with Windows 10. I used a old Segate external hard drive to boot (it has two USB cords and one is power only, don't know if that confused the installer? shouldn't.) Anyway, installer gave only one choice of disk and said no OS detected. It didn't show the size of the disk or other info except something like scsi(0, 0, 0). I was a little concerned but got distracted and chose to trust it. Big mistake.

Someone please take a look at it. There could be some bugs. Unfortunetly I cannot repeat it.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section