You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installed to USB stick, unable to boot, boot loader not found (Linux Lite 5.4)

Author (Read 6591 times)

enyao

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Alright then.
Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Yes! ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

enyao

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#usbpers

Hi Jerry,
By following this tutorial, does this means that I will be creating a Linux Lite live USB with persistent?

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Hi,

I'm trying to install Linux Lite 5.4 to a 32GB USB stick. After installation with no error on a laptop with dual boot Window & Linux MInt 20, I cannot boot into the USB stick on the laptop.
Not only that, I cannot boot into the Linux Mint on the hard drive as well.

Sprintrdriver commented on the tutotial to physically disconnect the internal hard drive before the installation. But I don't want to mess around with the hardware of this laptop.

Well, if you want to install Linux Lite to a USB stick, you will have to follow Sprintdriver's advice. Here's the thing; the problem you're facing is due to the fact that Linux is installing Grub to the internal disk, not the USB, and that's why it didn't boot nor did Linux Mint for the same very reason. The only way to avoid that is to "physically disconnect the internal hard drive before the installation." so the installer doesn't mess with that disk, and grub gets installed in the USB, which is what you need in order to be able to boot Linux Lite from the USB stick.   
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

enyao

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi,

I'm trying to install Linux Lite 5.4 to a 32GB USB stick. After installation with no error on a laptop with dual boot Window & Linux MInt 20, I cannot boot into the USB stick on the laptop.
Not only that, I cannot boot into the Linux Mint on the hard drive as well.

Then I booted into Boot-Repair Live USB and successfully repaired the hard drive booting and able to boot into Linux Mint.
I run Boot-Info to capture the log of the boot info of the hard drive.
After that, I inserted the USB Linux Lite and run the Boot-Info to capture the boot info of the USB. The installation wasn't able to install the proper boot loader into the USB.

I followed the steps in this tutorial (https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-lite-to-usb-stick-not-ready-yet!/),
and specifically paid attention to setting the "Device for boot loader installation" to /dev/sdc/.

I repeated the same process with Xubuntu 20.04 LTS and ended up with the same problem.

Is there a way to manually copied the boot loader into the USB and configure the Grub to load all the necessary files to boot from the USB directly?
In that way, I can use the USB Linux Lite on any computer that allowed booting from USB.

Sprintrdriver commented on the tutotial to physically disconnect the internal hard drive before the installation. But I don't want to mess around with the hardware of this laptop.

I attached here the boot-info I capture:
1-Boot-Info_20210609_1901-Repated-Mint-Aft-LL-Installed.txt (After Boot-Repair and booted into Linux Mint on hard drive).
2-Boot-Info_20210610_1132-Booted-Mint-USB-Linux-Lite.txt   (booted into Linux Mint and inserted the USB Linux Lite).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 11:17:24 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section