You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installation for beginner.

Author (Read 6750 times)

Re: Installation for beginner.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 08:29:08 PM »

JO Don

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Thanks for your considered response. It has given me the encouragement to continue. Not very encouraging to find the writers of the OS get something like that wrong.

I've used Linux in the past and a couple of other OSs. Since the advent of modern PCs of course, it has mainly been an alternative to Windows, which, let's face it, has ticked all the boxes. The manual for Linux Lite seems to confirm this.

My PC's PSU decided to take up smoking recently so was out of commission for a time. A new PSU wasn't cheap! The Linux PC was so slow, I really need something a little better designed.

The biggest problem these days seem to be most OSs are so filled with bloat, they slow down all but the fastest, machines. Back in the days of FORTH of course, you could easily dump what wasn't needed. Now it's hit and miss, especially since so many programs seem to rely upon so many others to function.

Hoping Lite will let the old PC run a bit closer to what it was designed to do.

I'll try a few more key presses. The manual no-doubt exists somewhere, since I rarely throw books away. But that's an adventure for a different universe.

I have contacted Novatech, from whom I bought the PC. Alas, no response as yet. (And I remember when they were just a room in the back of someone's house. Now they seem to busy for anything!!)

I was hoping someone on here could suggest a file, possibly in the BOOT directory, which I could double click.

As others have pointed, you have to reboot your PC, enter its BIOS settings by pressing some Fn key or ESC or DEL, this varies across machines and systems. However, most will tell you what key to press to perform certain action; when rebooting/starting your PC, pay attention for whatever message that shows on screen, it may be something like shown in the image below

take note, memorize it whichever method you prefer and restart it again, this time press the appropiate key the message told you to, you should now enter your BIOS settings, there should be a tab for boot priority, use the arrow keys to switch tabs and go there, it might be something like this

or this

Every system is different but generally speaking, you have to find and change boot device priority from your HDD to your USB device where Linux Lite is on and which should be plugged in while doing this so can select it from the options, once you've done that, press F10 which in most systems saves changes and exit, otherwise look for some text indicating which one in your system does that, once you've saved your changes the PC will restart automatically, if everything went fine you should see LL boot menu

or if UEFI

choose start live if you want to try and check that everything works as expected or choose install Linux Lite to start with install process, from there on just follow the on screeen instructions as explained in the help manual https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#installguide and in no time your new shiny Linux Lite OS will be installed and ready to use.

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you. This is interesting and detailed. Very grateful for your efforts.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 08:24:57 PM »

JO Don

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
As far as I know, you can't click a file to run an ISO. It's considered a live version of the OS; it has to be booted, just as if it were installed (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

what motherboard do you have? That may help us figure out how to boot the ISO. It's manual should be online somewhere.

Thank you. I suspected that, but hoped it might not be so.

The machine is a laptop, originally made for Windows 7. It was fitted with a brand name of Novatech A15A I have contacted Novatech's technical department, asking for information. As yet nothing back.

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 04:17:44 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks for your considered response. It has given me the encouragement to continue. Not very encouraging to find the writers of the OS get something like that wrong.

I've used Linux in the past and a couple of other OSs. Since the advent of modern PCs of course, it has mainly been an alternative to Windows, which, let's face it, has ticked all the boxes. The manual for Linux Lite seems to confirm this.

My PC's PSU decided to take up smoking recently so was out of commission for a time. A new PSU wasn't cheap! The Linux PC was so slow, I really need something a little better designed.

The biggest problem these days seem to be most OSs are so filled with bloat, they slow down all but the fastest, machines. Back in the days of FORTH of course, you could easily dump what wasn't needed. Now it's hit and miss, especially since so many programs seem to rely upon so many others to function.

I'll try a few more key presses. The manual no-doubt exists somewhere, since I rarely throw books away. But that's an adventure for a different universe.

I have contacted Novatech, from whom I bought the PC. Alas, no response as yet. (And I remember when they were just a room in the back of someone's house. Now they seem to busy for anything!!)

I was hoping someone on here could suggest a file, possibly in the BOOT directory, which I could double click.

As others have pointed, you have to reboot your PC, enter its BIOS settings by pressing some Fn key or ESC or DEL, this varies across machines and systems. However, most will tell you what key to press to perform certain action; when rebooting/starting your PC, pay attention for whatever message that shows on screen, it may be something like shown in the image below

take note, memorize it whichever method you prefer and restart it again, this time press the appropiate key the message told you to, you should now enter your BIOS settings, there should be a tab for boot priority, use the arrow keys to switch tabs and go there, it might be something like this

or this

Every system is different but generally speaking, you have to find and change boot device priority from your HDD to your USB device where Linux Lite is on and which should be plugged in while doing this so can select it from the options, once you've done that, press F10 which in most systems saves changes and exit, otherwise look for some text indicating which one in your system does that, once you've saved your changes the PC will restart automatically, if everything went fine you should see LL boot menu

or if UEFI

choose start live if you want to try and check that everything works as expected or choose install Linux Lite to start with install process, from there on just follow the on screeen instructions as explained in the help manual https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#installguide and in no time your new shiny Linux Lite OS will be installed and ready to use.

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 03:09:59 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
As far as I know, you can't click a file to run an ISO. It's considered a live version of the OS; it has to be booted, just as if it were installed (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

what motherboard do you have? That may help us figure out how to boot the ISO. It's manual should be online somewhere.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »

JO Don

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:33:21 PM by JO Don »

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
It appears that you are not booting the USB image you made of LL. Check out this tutorial:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-boot-from-a-usb-device-2626091

I don't know what kind of machine you have, they all do it differently. but you have to hit a key while the computer is starting, either to enter bios and switch the initial boot device to USB; or call up the boot menu of your machine.

You do either by hitting a certain key or key combo. It could be F8, for example. you need to figure out what that is. Look in your computer's manual, and look for what key/s you need to hit.

As suggested earlier, best to enter bios, so you can turn off secure boot. Otherwise it will prevent you from booting from the USB drive.

Incidentally, your computer may consider a USB to be a hard drive. So, if you don't see the USB in the boot menu (assuming you go that route), look for it under the hard drive category.

finally, remember that Linux is not Windows. You have to learn some things to install and use it. You had to do the same with Windows, right?

Don't give up!

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 03:33:25 AM »

JO Don

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I've tried every key press. Every F key. D, F, K, M, each time I just get to a Grub loading screen offering me the existing OS.

So, I tried loading the Linux Lite 5.0 .iso file onto a DVD as described. https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#lldvdwin

This time, the PC took ages to start, then eventually came up with Linux Cinnamon again. This time with an icon on the desktop. I clicked this and it opened a file of the DVD contents.

So, I'm is exactly the same point I was.

How to I get the PC to load this OS?

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 05:53:50 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Thank you for your kind reply.

There is no Boot menu. The system loads to the password screen then into Linux Cinnamon.

That is why I chose this method.

But the description clearly says there should be an icon names Install Linux Lite.

@JO Don

Etcher creates a bootable USB Image.. You want to restart the pc and change or select the USB within the Boot Order. Either in BIOS before or via an F# key
You'll be better served to enter bios set the boot order and while there turn off SecureBoot (else you cant boot to another device).

Once you have the USB selected and it boots - it will look just like the LL OS - you see LL boot then display a desktop (LL no other) - then you'll have the Icon to Install.

Keep us posted :) Good Luck
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 01:06:17 PM »

JO Don

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Thank you for your kind reply.

There is no Boot menu. The system loads to the password screen then into Linux Cinnamon.

That is why I chose this method.

But the description clearly says there should be an icon names Install Linux Lite.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:54:27 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#installguide
[...] What am I supposed to do?
The instructions clearly say, double click on  Install Linux Lite icon on the desktop.
This icon isn't there![/b]

I don't know what to do. Can anyone please say in simple english, what I am supposed to do?

Thank you.

Hello! :)

First, read again all the manual page! All the related instructions are showcased with screenshots.

To spare time, immediately after boot, when the boot menu appears, look for the SECOND boot menu option and choose (Down Arrow) "Direct Install Linux Lite 5.0".
After this, follow the exact steps outlined in the manual. You have screenshots for each and every step so, read it as many times as necessary or print the whole document and keep it at hand.
It only looks a little frightening but once you get to the end, you'll love it! ;) :)

Good luck! :)

"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

Installation for beginner.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:56:22 AM »

JO Don

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#installguide

Downloaded Etcher, moved to 4Gb USB pendrive
Downloaded Latest version of Linux Lite.
Run Etcher. Clicked on Linux Lite Etcher did it stuff and finished.
Moved Pen drive to destination PC. Already has a versionn of Linux Cinnamon installed.
Started Destination PC
Icon on desktop called Lonux Lite 5.0
Clicked on that, as per the instructions. This opened a file.
9 Directorys (or whatever people are calling these no-a-days) listed.
boot, casper, dists, EFI, install, isolinux, pool, preseed, disk plus three txt files, md5sum.txt, README.diskdefines, ubuntu

What am I supposed to do?

The instructions clearly say, double click on  Install Linux Lite icon on the desktop.

This icon isn't there!

I don't know what to do. Can anyone please say in simple english, what I am supposed to do?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:59:46 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section