You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install Updates - Terminal

Author (Read 16237 times)

Re: Install Updates - Terminal
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 09:06:49 AM »

riser

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I personally prefer to update through the command line (Terminal).  I've had no issues with this process across multiple debian/ubuntu based distros.

Simple command: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:59:55 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I've installed the full-blown Ubuntu Software Center - which installs its own updater - and after it updated, ended up with issues that ended up requiring a reinstall.

From what I've seen, Valtam's update script, which is called from the main menu, is the most bulletproof way to update because it not only safely updates the OS, but also updates the user manual at the same time.

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Sent from BLU Advance 4.0 with Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:37:08 PM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 09:12:56 AM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
All updates come from either myself or Ubuntu, or from a ppa like for Gimp for example.
Can we screen every update package? I doubt 95% of distros have even the manpower to do that, let alone the time.

Thanks. Am I correct in just using Install Update - Terminal for the safest way to update?

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:45:08 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Well said Rob :)

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 03:32:23 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

My problems have all been with in-place upgrades on the six-month major releases - all the more reason to run LTS versions ;)

Valtam, you're right on target with that one. There are many thousands of different programs in the repositories, developed by thousands of different programmers. No one group could ever check them all every time they're updated. More or less, that responsibility is left to the program's developer.

Actually, in the Ubuntu repositories, the opposite problem is true - the latest versions there are often several versions behind the current ones. VLC media player is a good example of what I'm talking about. The down side to that is that the programs that are broken take that much longer to get fixes down the pipeline. Sometimes current versions can be downloaded elsewhere as a .deb, but more often than not, if you want everything to be bleeding-edge, you must compile them yourself from source or fool with tarballs (.tar files).

Lauchpad.net is a good place to find out about the latest goings-on with packages you're interested in - especially bugs, and their progress towards getting them fixed. Synaptic lets you tweak what kind of stuff is updated and how often, or not at all. Perhaps one day, Synaptic might be able to accommodate setting up an update strategy for each individual file, but if you have a lot of files, the necessary database could get big (and slow).

For the REALLY paranoid, one can always back up before updating...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:25:47 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
All updates come from either myself or Ubuntu, or from a ppa like for Gimp for example.
Can we screen every update package? I doubt 95% of distros have even the manpower to do that, let alone the time.

Install Updates - Terminal
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:43:54 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
 :-\ After reading post about users losing their menu items, Linux Lite installed modified desktop, and warnings from Valtam about resetting menu I wonder about the Install Updates - Terminal. Some of the updates I can see are from Jerry Bezencon (Valtam) but some but some are from Ubuntu and some I do not reconize. Are all updates offered by this program from or screened by the Linux Lite Development Team; therefore, safe to do?

I no longer even ask Synaptic to check for update dues to be concerned about messing up Linux Lite.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section