You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install to USB out of space

Author (Read 7825 times)

Re: Install to USB out of space
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 12:06:39 PM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-3770

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4000

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 11:24:37 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Please see the original Welcome email you got from us. This will have the links to how to post images in your posts. We don't accept zip files for images sorry. It fills up our Web server unnecessarily.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 11:07:42 AM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply Jerry,
I'm not an experienced Linux user--but I'm not a noob either.
2 mistakes I made in previous post---I referred to upgrades and I really meant UPDATES, AND I did not mean to imply 4.4 was installed from a USB. I installed the 4.4 iso (hash matched) from a W7 using Rufus 3.5 onto a 16gb fat32 formatted SanDisk memory stick. Rufus also reformatted fat32 and cleared the MBR.  It was from this USB stick I could not complete numerous updates. I had used your directions--Menu/Install Updates. Below is another post I made:     LiLi 4.4 installs ok, but updates do not

A lot of this is my misunderstanding of what folders/files need to be deleted to clear disk space and the fact that Autoremove does not remove (my interpretation was--- delete) any files.

Attached are screenshots of df -h and GParted after a new install prior to the shots.  I will await further instructions.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 04:47:41 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Topic split off to correct Support section.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 02:25:38 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@rondi autoremove does not perform the action of clearing space, it simply removes dependent files that are no longer required on the system. You have stated that you have installed LL from a USB onto a USB. We need to know how much free space (or lack thereof) that LL has on the installed USB. Open a terminal on the installed LL that you are trying to upgrade and do:

Code: [Select]
df -h
and report the results here.

That is the first step.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 11:53:58 AM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

"TheDead--If your computer had Windows before, could it be it's trying to install Linux Lite in a "recovery" or "system" partition of your hard disk?
-Or- are you trying to Upgrade on the live USB key? This will not work, you would have to boot on the Live USB key and install to a second USB key, which is a special procedure if I remember correctly... I've never done this myself."

I just corrected my about post--My problem is NOT installing a Live LiLi 4.4 to a USB stick using my W7 laptop. It is getting the UPGRADE to complete without errors.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi,

If your compter had Windows before, could it be it's trying to install Linux Lite in a "recovery" or "system" partition of your hard disk?
-Or- are you trying to Upgrade on the live USB key? This will not work, you would have to boot on the Live USB key and install to a second USB key, which is a special procedure if I remember correctly... I've never done this myself.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

Install to USB out of space
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:11:01 PM »

rondi

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Is there any way I can get a smaller UPGRADE,. or somehow increase the size of a file to keep it from running out of space when doing the UPGRADE? I can download 4.4 and install it on a SanDisk 16 or 32gb stick--it is the UPGRADE that causes me me problems. I have tried for 2 weeks to UPGRADE 4.4 and it gets part way thru the get sequence---- and gets an error "out of space or disk full error. I just formatted and reinstalled using rufus on a fat32 32gb USB stick, per the instructions and GParted shows the partition size of 29.81gb and 1.33gb used!---I tried a Menu/Install Upgrades and it failed--I got a number of "File has unexpected size" and then of course Hash errors--I've never seen those before--so I then used sudo apt autoremove and it reported "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 687 no upgraded",. I then did sudo apt upgrade, and it reported " the following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: libcomer2:i386 libjavascriptcoegtk-1.0-0 + 4 other ones, Use sudo apt autoremove to remove them--- It continued with the upgrade until at line 756 when it got an error--unable to make backup link ----No space left on device and following that it says--dpkg-deb:error:paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken Pipe).

Maybe the problem is my W7 laptop--but I doubt it because I use the same usb port for other things and it has no problem---same with the SanDisk usb sticks.

If I could install smaller upgrades and have them just do portions of the whole upgrade perhaps I could get an install. Is there a way I delete portions of the Install AFTER the files it expects to download are loaded, but before the download (ie get) starts to execute. Then I could delete stuff I don't want or need---if it obvious of course.

It also appears autoremove does not delete enough space. Which directories contain the downloaded, uninstalled files that I can delete and restore some free space, on what appears to be a very small limited filespace?

Thanks for any help, Ron

edited to clarify--it is the UPGRADE that fails, not the initial install onto a USB stick.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 05:32:13 PM by rondi »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section