You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install LL 4.8 over old LL 3.8

Author (Read 7359 times)

Re: Install LL 4.8 over old LL 3.8
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 02:51:29 PM »

JohnD

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
    • Linux-Infos von Bernd Storck (German)

• CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon II X2 240

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a]

• Kernel: 5.x
THX to all.

Your hints are very reasonable. I will format the root partition and also the separate partitions for opt and var.

I believe, I've prepared it good by documenting the previous partitions, symbolic links and installed programs in opt.

Code: [Select]
user@linux-system: Linux_Lite--Installationsdaten $ ls -og                                                   
insgesamt 28
-rw-r--r-- 1 1855 Mär 30 19:37 fstab
-rw-r--r-- 1  633 Apr  1 02:19 opt-folders_and_programs
-rw-r--r-- 1  236 Mär 30 20:51 Ordner_auf_fastdrive-ssd7-sdb7
-rw-r--r-- 1  888 Mär 30 20:22 partitions
-rw-r--r-- 1  337 Mär 30 20:39 subfolders_in_media
-rw-r--r-- 1  882 Mär 30 20:32 Umleitungen_in_home
-rw-r--r-- 1  281 Mär 30 20:47 Umleitungen_zur_Partition_appcache
user@linux-system: Linux_Lite--Installationsdaten $

I only ponder if I should document most other programs, which are installed. Maybe simply with directory list of /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. I'm not sure if it's better to chroot to the old installation with a live CD and generate a list of installed pakets with apt oder aptitude or if I should give up to document more.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:00:20 PM by JohnD »
"Show up on time, know your lines, and don't bump into the furniture."

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@JohnD You can 'install' LL4.x to that same partition - yes but you want to format it.
If your /home resides on another partition you 'can' leave it in place -** Although there will be some existing files that could interfere.

^^ so if sda1 is where root (/) resides and say sda2 is /home, you can format sda1 and install LL4.x
*If /home and root are both on the same partition - it cannot be done in this manner and you will loose data*

I don't think you can just install over top without formatting (and if you could -- I WOULD NOT)
There are difference between LL3.x and LL4.x that could cause issues (even with /home)
You could maybe clean up any 'user' files just keeping the data and hoping...

What may be an option in this scenario - if both are on separate partitions.. You could format root and install LL4.x, when creating a user create a different user than in LL3x.   If you had John in LL3.x make it JohnD in LL4.x  then you could move all the 'data' files from John to JohnD (old to new).
Then clean up/delete the remaining old profile (directory).

Regardless - I would suggest backing up the data you dont want to loose - should you inadvertently click something or what have you... Its easier to loose data than get it back...   
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:49:03 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
Simple answer is yes but by upgrading series. Then if you do not know your way around things will be extremely hard to do as things will be broke and some serious know-how will need to be used. If you are going to copy 4.8 over 3.8 then just copy that backup of your home directory and use your existing partitions when installing. It would actually probably be faster to do a clean install than the time it takes to download, upgrade then fix a whole host of things and loose some of the stuff you had since it will write over settings. There are choices and I am sure googling will show you how but be warned there are a lot of things that will need to be fixed. I did it and I am saying this from experience.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »

JohnD

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

Instread of the way Jan has gone in "Re-Installing Linux Lite", I would like to re-install LL without re-formatting the used partitions. This means I would like to copy LL 4.8 over LL 3.8, after having created a backup of my old home data.

Install LL 4.8 over old LL 3.8
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:13:09 PM »

JohnD

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

I've an old Version of LL installed, but ca no longer enter it. I've discussed this issue her and tried to solve it, without success. I'm not interested to invest a single minute to solve this, because all simple hints do not work.

I've documented which partitions were used by the old existing LL 3.8 installation.

Is it possible to install LL 4.8 in the same partitions for updating the system without serious problems? 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:04:43 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section