You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Older versions, requirements

Author (Read 9304 times)

Re: Older versions, requirements
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 06:47:55 PM »

mc_L20

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you everyone. This machine is 64-bit. (Sorry, it didn't occur to me to include that in the OP.)

I think I'll try 3.8 and see how that does, assuming I can get a connection. If I can't I'll be back with another question/thread.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 05:38:22 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
If 32bit LL3.8 for sure...

If 64bit - it might fair decent with LL4.x you have 4gb ram (there is a LL3.8 64bit too - LL4.x is 64bit only)

It has 4gb so bits it right on the cusp (check it)

I have a Dell netbook mini - with 1gb, running LL3.8 its usable.. Heaving browsing youtube etc pushes it...

You can make use of the 16gb you have to test both on hardware (install from USB) and depending which you like... I would wipe windows for a full install...
XP and 7 are no longer supported (back up anything you want to keep)... Unless you really want 7... 

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 05:09:07 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
I agree, Lite 3.8 is a good bet. I have it on a 10 yr. old Gateway desktop, with original graphics, and it works perfectly. I did need to install Nvidia driver 304, as the default drivers had problems. all you do if that happens is run Install Drivers. If it doesn't show the Nvidia 304, make sure you update. (In fact, always a good idea to update immediately after installing). Lite 3.x series is still supported another year.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 03:25:28 PM »

supergamer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom 565

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: 550 ti
I would think version 3 would work. Just make sure you get the right one for it as in 32bit or 64bit which I am not sure on your specs to be able to tell you which version.

Older versions, requirements
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »

mc_L20

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I am trying to revive an old Dell laptop that was running Windows XP and is really too slow for anything newer (it currently has Windows 7, which is how I know that  :-\ ). I started looking at Linux and actually tried several different distros on USB stick but most wouldn't connect to my internet, and the few that could were too slow. I just found a video about this distro and the system requirements were okay for my machine, but the video is 5 years old and Linux Lite is several versions past that. The current one has a requirement of 1gHz; my laptop is ~800mHz so I think the latest version won't work on it. I see that there are older versions available for download but I don't know their requirements. Are those available somewhere? I'd like to download the latest version that will run on this laptop.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude D631 that looks to have a Legacy BIOS (it's from 2008), with 4g RAM and a 120g HDD that is currently partitioned; I was going to put Linux in the empty partition but I couldn't get it any bigger than 16g, and anyway, I want to see what it does on USB first (assuming I can get a connection, which is another issue). This machine would be used only for Facebook, email (webmail), browsing, and audio/video stuff (YouTube, maybe some podcasts). The intended user (my brother, who is retired) doesn't have the skills to do anything else. If someone wants to recommend a particular version that's fine; I don't mind researching it, I just don't know where to look.

Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:05:09 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section