You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install Linux Lite on Dell Laptop fails

Author (Read 12233 times)

Re: Install Linux Lite on Dell Laptop fails
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 10:42:54 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
PROBLEM SOLVED - As I understand it, the nut of the problem is that the EFI code has to be the same (32bit / 64 bit) as the BIOS and boot code. This was accomplished by following the links & directions in the paper at:
https://medium.com/@realzedgoat/a-so...s-d39b1d1961ec and using LinuxLite 3.2efi build, adding bootia32.efi to the boot folder after burning the iso to USB drive using 'Rufus.exe" . Then booted this USB drive on the Dell laptop using the following procedure: 1) power on & F2 to get to setup; ensure UEFI and Not Secure boot, save settings. F12 at Dell logo to get to boot menu (the USB drive was listed as one option.) 2) boot into linux lite and at the main window, click Install Linux Lite. 3) When install finishes, remove USB drive and restart: Voila!! Now get and apply updates.

Nice discovery and work through, this will undoubtedly help others.

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:47 PM »

dleddy

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: intel
PROBLEM SOLVED - As I understand it, the nut of the problem is that the EFI code has to be the same (32bit / 64 bit) as the BIOS and boot code. This was accomplished by following the links & directions in the paper at:
https://medium.com/@realzedgoat/a-so...s-d39b1d1961ec and using LinuxLite 3.2efi build, adding bootia32.efi to the boot folder after burning the iso to USB drive using 'Rufus.exe" . Then booted this USB drive on the Dell laptop using the following procedure: 1) power on & F2 to get to setup; ensure UEFI and Not Secure boot, save settings. F12 at Dell logo to get to boot menu (the USB drive was listed as one option.) 2) boot into linux lite and at the main window, click Install Linux Lite. 3) When install finishes, remove USB drive and restart: Voila!! Now get and apply updates.

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 04:42:51 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Heya!

Sorry to bounce you around like that over the intertubes but when checking on Dell's site of ryour laptop here :
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/c7zwd82/drivers

It seems that this laptop was also available with a 32 bits windows and also a Ubuntu 12.04, which looks like a good sign.
**Backup any data from the hard drive you wanna keep, this will erase everything**
Maybe your "hard drive" is only "mixed up" being part UEFI / GPT. If you can Live boot and go in GParted and delete all partition. Then in the "Device" (if I'm not mistaken), choose "Create Partition table" and select MBR (not GPT) / MS-DOS .
Then reinstall.
** I could be mistaken so heres also a plan C link for your enjoyment :
https://askubuntu.com/questions/354111/boot-ubuntu-12-04-3-in-uefi-mode

Hope something I wrote helps your at least get on the right track. ;)

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 02:45:16 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
I see you are trying over here

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-laptop-and-netbook-25/linux-install-on-dell-inspiron-14-3452-having-emmc-in-lieu-of-hard-drive-failed-4175626482/

Many gurus are there. All I can say from here is good luck.    I guess my 32 bit bios reference is off point?

It seems I have clobbered (an old technical term) the  boot mechanism by virtue of uninformed install attempt.  The question now is how to recover the ability to boot with UEFI on, LEgacy off, from the eMMC card or the USB drive.

Intriguing. Almost a brick point. Now wondering if bios needs re-isnstalling.  Via a bootable usb rom setup with a Dell Bios that matches your laptop.

Link
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:09:47 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »

dleddy

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

To answer some of the questions:  Dual boot is NOT wanted, as Windows has already grown out of its 32G allocation and can no longer update (can't even load, and I expect it is gone - erased).   
The Service Tag is C7ZWD82
Answers on other forums (e.g.,  https://askubuntu.com/questions/879986/emmc-boot-installation-compatibility/883179?utm_medium=organic&utm_source=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa) indicate there is a way, but there is adilemmea in trying to boot with UEFI on which leads to an error screen, and UEFI off / Legacy boot allowing access to USB drive -- seems you can't have both.

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

@rokytnji
If there is one, can you provide the ServiceTag number from underneath the laptop or under battery?
It is usually clear and visible, no ultra-tiny caracters.

Cheers!

It is not my laptop. :)
But the OP is free to check on your advice. :)
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
@rokytnji
If there is one, can you provide the ServiceTag number from underneath the laptop or under battery?
It is usually clear and visible, no ultra-tiny caracters.

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Before you start repartitioning things know that the Dell boot error is for the 32bit read/write memory. On many cheap 64bit boxes hitting the F1 key at that point bypasses that function and continues booting to grub if you're lucky. Also know that switching boot methods back and forth via the BIOS is an attempt to utilize a hybrid disk for dual booting with an MBR partition on a GUID disk. This can eventually lead to sector overwrites, misalignments, and segmentation faults with journaling file systems. Make sure you have fast boot disabled and post enabled in the BIOS as well, and the prompt for the F1 key may then show up.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Starting to wonder if this Dell is one of those locked out laptops with the 32 bit bios on a 64 bit motherboard laptop. The lowend cheap laptops are built like this.

The net is full of these laptops that are Linux unfriendly when it comes to installing.

https://medium.com/@realzedgoat/a-sorta-beginners-guide-to-installing-ubuntu-linux-on-32-bit-uefi-machines-d39b1d1961ec

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2015/07/22/why-cheap-systems-run-32-bit-uefi-on-x64-systems

https://www.linuxbabe.com/desktop-linux/legacy-bios-vs-uefi-bios

Like I said. I don't know. Just wondering.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Couple questions and thoughts...

Are you wanting to dual boot?
- If so you need to flip between UEFI mode for Windows and Legacy for LL..
- If wiping Windows you don't have to go back to UEFI..

As mentioned Secureboot off, Legacy enable and Fast Boot turned off (from Windows) this hibernates your drive making install a pain..

If dual booting.. You should be installing to an empty partition..
- you may have have 2 or 3 for Windows already (C:, Recovery, maybe a reserved) within C or reserved one will also be the boot partition/boot manager.
What you need to remember is LL grub (boot manager) probably shouldn't reside on the same boot partition as Windows - its UEFI..

When installing LL are you installing "Along Side Windows" if so try "Something Else" and when you get to the part where to put the boot loader (device for boot loader installation) - choose the same partition as the LL install (none of the Windows)

This will keep the 2 (UEFI/BIOS) separated less problems when switching.. 

Additional info as well:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/tutorial-how-to-set-up-a-winll-dual-boot-with-uefi-fully-enabled/msg29317/#msg29317
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:19:00 AM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »

dleddy

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Torreydale:  Yes, boot is legacy, from usb(1st) or 'hard drive (2nd), secure is off.  boot w/o usb can't find bootable media; with usb, runs LinuxLite Live
rokytnji: Yes have read.

Also read the trouble shoting section LinuxLite Help Manual (post install :'(   ) which concludes that you can't install Linux Lite on system with system whose OS was installed as UEFI, and the OS is 64 bit Windows - sigh.   Need utility or other to rewrite entire boot partition as MBR and able to install a Linux distribution (that fits the 32GB 'drive').

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:58 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 09:14:07 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

Are you sure you disabled Secure Boot and/or UEFI?
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Install Linux Lite on Dell Laptop fails
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:52 AM »

dleddy

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

:'( I have tried to install Linux Lite from USB drive to Dell Inspiron 14-3542 (model number may be off) and it fails to restart /boot from the hard disk: 1) storage is eMMC ard; 2) boot is interuppted by this Dell SupportAssist message: It appears that there is difficulty in starting your system. Testing eMMC drive --[hangs].  I had previouslydisabled Windows Boot Manager in the bios.  Install seemed to complete without problem. Now running from the Live version on the USB drive. Any and all help will be appreciated -- Win 10 has augered in and no help from MS. Want to try Linux on this cheap laptop.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section