You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install issues

Author (Read 20287 times)

Re: Install issues
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 12:46:01 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
That's great to hear, Monty! If you do decide to install it, there's plenty of help out there. I like to research issues I don't understand. there is a wealth of tutorials on the internet that give you step by step instructions. I have done things I never imagined I could do using tutorials. whatever problem you're having, someone else has already solved it, most likely. Good luck!

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 11:16:32 AM »

monty munian

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Gentlemen...sorry for the late reply..I have sorted the issue and installed the OS to the flash drive...THANK YOU THANK YOU AND A BIG THANK YOU..

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 04:35:03 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Is your computer password protected? If so try using that password. however, it's possible your bios also has a password. In my experience, that is something you set yourself, I've never heard of a computer not allowing you into the bios. You might need to contact the manufacturer if this is the case.

As far as the Sandisk USB, I would reformat it. That should wipe out any bloatware that it came with. Formatting it to FAT 32 should work. Check out this tutorial:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

If all this seems beyond your ability, I would seek out someone who can give you some hands-on help. This stuff can be overwhelming for anyone, at any age (by the way I'm 68). We are all so used to windows that Linux seems like it's from another planet!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:36:38 PM by mdiemer »

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 02:37:32 PM »

monty munian

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank You...what I am looking for is disable secure boot and Universal usb could not open.
When I clicked Secure boot it asks for a pass word?....I am lost.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 07:03:24 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank You....I went into the Insideh20 setuputility..under security Secure boot mode (standard)..can that be changed.

@monty munian It should - and disabled it what your looking for..
ALSO - since you mention secure boot this is most likely an UEFI system..
You may want to try the UEFI variant installer - if you do, you can leave BIOS w/ UEFI enabled - else you'll need to set UEFI to "Legacy"..
Is this the P4... as most UEFI are 64bit...

There is a LL4.x UEFI installer - you can find here, dont mind that its 4.2 it will update to 4.8
https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/linux-lite-software-development/uefi-build-test/msg44253/#msg44253
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »

monty munian

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank You....I went into the Insideh20 setuputility..under security Secure boot mode (standard)..can that be changed.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 04:36:25 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@monty munian  I've split and moved the topic - as many may not know there is a question posted within..

as @mdiemer has mentioned.. LL and Windows can exist on the same PC regardless if Windows has been corrupted. The exist side by side - LL is its own OS and does not require anything from Windows... Just the base system.

If you are using Windows to create the USB there are a few ways to accomplish this. I suggest the methods within the help doc here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#llusbwin

Also you'll want to know more your system - Does it run UEFI (a type of BIOS-short answer) and if its 32 or 64bit..
if installing to the P4 probably not - a regular (legacy) BIOS and most likely 32bit -- LL3.x series (LL3.8 ) is a good candidate - LL2.0 as mentioned is out of support (as is Windows 7).

Some points for BIOS..
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#installguide

Once you have the USB and boot to the USB - you will see Linux Lite running - this USB is a Live environment, running on the usb - and changes will be removed/reverted after reboot. Use the "Install Linux Lite" to install to the PC.

Backing up any personal files prior is always a good idea...

You can install alongside (with) Windows or you can wipe out the disk and install just LL...
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#prepareinst
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html#instllcomp

Oh and Welcome!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:03:17 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You can always go back in and change the settings, so, no, any changes you make in bios are not permanent.

there is no compatibility issue between Linux and windows. you can have both on your system and they will work fine, provided you have done things correctly.

The easiest way to install Linux is to have it be the only system on the drive. Dual-booting is more complicated, but usually works out fine. Most problems arise because either the computer is so new that it has software that intentionally favors Windows and discourages Linux; or so old that there is a compatibility issue between hardware and software. Keep in mind, Windows 7 and 8 are at this point very old systems, intended for machines that were around when they were created. But a recent Linux system is created for newer machines. This is why it makes sense installing older Linux versions on older machines. Less conflicts are likely.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »

monty munian

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you....Sorry for the late reply.Will the LL 3.x be compatible with windows 7 ultimate in  Pentium 4.The reason I am using the USB is that win 7 ultimate is corrupted.
I am using a Packard bell laptop win 8.1.If I disable settings will it be permanent.
Thank you   

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 04:07:24 PM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sorry you're having difficulties. First, you should be using the 3.x series, at the earliest. Lite 2.x is no longer supported. 3.x is supported for another year. If you have an older computer, the 3.x series may be what you need. you can then install the 4.x next year, if your computer can handle it.

Second, you probably need to disable some settings on the SSD. Anything like Secure Boot or Access may need to be disabled. You would need to go into your bios to make the changes. If you have never done that, take a look at your screen while your computer is booting. It should tell you what keystrokes to make to enter the Bios. Once there, use the arrows to navigate.

Install issues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:36:39 AM »

monty munian

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you..This is my first try at using LL using a Usb.It wasn't successful.
The Linux lite 2.0-32bit disc image file is in the download file also the universal usb installer 1.9.9.0.
In the removable disk(D) I get sandisk secure access
                                             sandisk secure access settings
                                             sandisk  secure access vault.
I don't get the  setup selections page.
What did I miss out.
Please help me.
By the way Iam 73 years old.
i
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:42:11 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section