You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Instaling LL 6

Author (Read 3450 times)

Re: Instaling LL 6
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 10:35:21 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@jeffvanderdoes
When you run the LL installer - and choose "Along Side Windows" what happens?
- with the 50g formatted it should see and allow to be chosen and reformatted... If its not available delete the partition and leave unallocated..

Also, if you could give us additional info - is this a UEFI or BIOS system?
How is Windows partitioned (likely a boot/sys reserved/OS aka C) any others....

Definatly try the Along Side and report any messages and/or errors
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Re: Instaling LL 6
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 04:43:11 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

• Kernel: 5.x
[...] I'd like to install coexisting with windows 10.   I have in windows 50 GB of unallocated space [...]

Hi, Jeff! :)

I can only tell you what I would do.

So, let's roll it in small steps...

[...] Next i partioned it in windows  [...]

First thing is, I stopped using MS tools to do partitioning. Main reasons are the limitations they impose. Long story cut short:
I use Live GParted.
Before doing anything, you need to know exactely how you want to slice the media.
That is: What goes where and how much space is required by each component.
Typically, on the Windows partition, you need to know how much it needs. That means you have to consider the habits you have related to personal files. If you use "My Documents" you have to know that it is a risky choice, because it resides on the main partition. This also means you need to give it enough space.
I used to do it differently. When I was still dual-booting (until July 2012...), I had a different partition specially for my files, usually, it was "D:\"
On the same partition with Win, you also have a file that stands for the SWAP partition in Linux. So you need to allocate enough space for: Windows, SWAP, My Documents.
After figuring this out, you should add some extra 50% space to this total.
After computing this, see what is left: Substract the figure out of drive's size, in MB.

At this point, you need to decide which is the primary OS you use: the most used, in other words.
If Windows is the primary OS, than you need to reserve some extra space. How much would it be?

Linux requirements:

A typical installation I make on an UEFI machine, looks like this:

/dev/sda1, fat32, 512 MB, primary, BOOT, EFI;
/dev/sda2, ext4, / (Root), 30,720 MB. (can be reduced to 15,360);
/dev/sda3, Linux SWAP, 3,072 MB. (This depends on what type of drive you have, amount of RAM, CPU type);
/dev/sda4, ext2, /home,  30,720 MB.
/dev/sda5,  ext4, /data, ?? (depends how much is left on the drive.)

TOTAL AMOUNT OF SPACE (at minimum!):
15,360 MB, 15 GB for / (Root) + 15,360 MB, 15 GB for /home + 3,72 MB, 3 GB for SWAP  = 34 GB + 10 GB for data = 44 GB

Your space is 50 GB. If it is still available, that means that the data partition (here, /dev/sda5,  ext4, /data) might have 50 GB - 34 GB = 16 GB, 16,384 MB.
This is what Linux means.

so I have /sd4 formatted as ntfs (which i had hoped I could reformat to what ll6 needs ext4) but still could not figure out the install options to make it work.[...]

Here it comes the really difficult part...

Windows, by design, hates Linux. So, in order to make it work alongside Linux, you have to do a full repartitioning then a full installation, like this:

/dev/sda1, fat32, 512 MB, primary, BOOT, EFI;
/dev/sda2, NTFS, ???, MB and GB.
/dev/sda3, ext4, / (Root), 30,720 MB. (can be reduced to 15,360);
/dev/sda4, Linux SWAP, 3,072 MB. (This depends on what type of drive you have, amount of RAM, CPU type);
/dev/sda5, ext2, /home,  30,720 MB.
/dev/sda6,  ext4, /data, 16,384 MB, 16 GB.

The values in MB are required for partitioning with Live GParted.

Now, write down on a paper or print this partitioning scheme. You'll need it when you repartition the drive.

Make a Live GParted USB drive; boot from it and do the partitioning. You start by choosing the partition type and if the machine is UEFI, choose GPT.
After this, apply the changes.
After this, you create step by step each partition (/dev/sdaX, X = 1, 2, 3, etc.)
After partitioning according to this example, shutdown the machine, and prepare the Linux Lite USB media.
Next step is to boot with the Linux Lite Install media.
Proceed to installing Linux Lite.
When finished, shutdown.
Prepare the Windows Installation media.
Boot computer with the Windows media. When prompted, you'll see only the /dev/sda2, NTFS drive. The rest, are usually labeled as "Unknown partition".
Choose the partition NTFS then proceed to the next step of installation.
After rebooting, you'll end up in Windows.
To boot Linux, you need to press (usually) the F12 key, before the POST sequence starts, to show the boot menu.
From the boot menu, you will be able to select what to boot (Linux).

I hope you will get it done! :)

Best regards! :)

"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

Instaling LL 6
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 11:39:40 PM »

jeffvanderdoes

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Need some assistance with installing LL6.  I'd like to install coexisting with windows 10.   I have in windows 50 GB of unallocated space but could not figure how to configure in install.  Next i partioned it in windows so I have /sd4 formatted as ntfs (which i had hoped I could reformat to what ll6 needs ext4) but still could not figure out the install options to make it work.  I've read through install manual but am unsure quite how to make it work in disk config section of install.

Anybody able to provide some added insight?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section