You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Unable to burn iso file to usb

Author (Read 5858 times)

Re: Unable to burn iso file to usb
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

• Kernel: 4.x
Yes, sadly this software requires one of the Microsuck frameworks (I don't recall which one) to run.

But remember:   To do all this in Windows, the best software the most efficient smallest simplest fastest portable application to do this, is:
USBWriter-1.3 ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbwriter/ )

I recommended Etcher ONLY if you do it from within Linux, download the Etcher.Appimage, make it executable and that's it.
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

:(  yes, sadly this software requires one of the Microsuck frameworks (I don't recall which one) to run.

But remember:   To do all this in Windows, the best software the most efficient smallest simplest fastest portable application to do this, is:
USBWriter-1.3 ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbwriter/ )

I recommended Etcher ONLY if you do it from within Linux, download the Etcher.Appimage, make it executable and that's it.
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »

pelouk

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thank you for that very comprehensive reponse. Actually, I'm trying to do all the work on LL but - judging by your advice, maybe I should do the prepration on Windows.

I downloaded Etcher as a zip file. extracted the .exe and, when I tried to run it, got  the following message.
"No applications available to open Etcher".

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 04:01:18 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Good morning, Pelouk. Let me try to be of help.

First, you need to move your .ISO file to some folder in your hard drive. You must also move or backup any other important files you may have in the USB flash drive.

I'm assuming that you are doing this in Windows, and have the USB flash drive inserted.

Second, let's work on your formatting issue:
Open Windows Command console by typing  cmd  and right-clicking on Run as Administrator.

Once in the console, type  diskpart  and press [Enter]
At the prompt, type  list disk  ...press [Enter]

It will list the disks available on your system.
CAREFULLY, find the disk number for the flash drive where you'll install L.L., it will be listed as something like "Disk 2  Online  7606 GB" or something similar. Take note of the disk number, it should be Disk 1 or 2 or 3, etc, depending on how many you have set up on your computer.
NOTE: Usually "Disk 0" is your main (system's) disk, so don't mess with it.

Once you've made sure of your flash drive's disk number, double check it.  8)
Now enter the following (substituting the number for the actual flash drive's number):
sel disk 1     ...press [Enter]
...this means "select disk 1" to work on it. The number must be your actual flash drive's number.

When it prompts you that the disk has been selected, just type  clean  ...and press [Enter]. (This will completely wipe out any partitions on the flash drive).

If successful, type  create partition primary  ...and press [Enter] (this will create a new unique partition on your cleaned USB flash drive).

When successful, type  format fs=fat32 quick   ...and press [Enter] (this will format the partition to the universal fat32 format, and it will do it fast).

If successful, type  active   ...press [Enter] (this will mark this partition as an active one).

When successful, type  exit   ...press [Enter] and close the window.

Now, to copy, or "burn" the .ISO image of LinuxLite to your flash drive, the most efficient smallest simplest fastest portable application to do this, is:
USBWriter-1.3 ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbwriter/ ) download it and run it, upon running, it's usage is self explanatory.

Now let's assume you are doing this from within Linux, just download Etcher and run it, it is very user-friendly.

Cheers, my friend, and please tell us how it did go.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:07:18 PM by Nyto »
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »

pelouk

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks. I'll give that a try, though I should also have noted that I have difficulty in formating  the usb drive.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 12:18:31 PM »

UltraCookie

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Flavoured Chocolate Cookie
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-4210M Dual Core 2,60 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 4600

• Kernel: 5.x
From your explenation it sounds like the iso file is located on the USB you want to burn it to. That wont work. Put the iso on your desktop, format the usb drive to fat32 and try again.
Linux Lite 5.0 on Lenovo Edge 540 <3

Unable to burn iso file to usb
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »

pelouk

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I'm trying to install LL 3.8. Have downloaded the iso file plus Unetbootin, Rufus and Etcher but none of the burning software will work.
The iso file is on a 8gb usb stick, formatted to Fat 32 and is in the drive.

I keep getting the error message :

"No burners are currently availablePossibly the disc(s) are in use, and cannot get accessed.

Please unmount and restart the application.

If no disc is in the drive, check that you have read and write access to the drive with the current user.
From that point on I'm lost!  Help!

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section