You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Trying to get an operating system that works.

Author (Read 14562 times)

Re: Trying to get an operating system that works.
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 04:43:20 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Good old Royal Mail. Only posted it on a second class stamp!!.  Afraid used an old envelope and Old DVD-RW, but the stamp was new ;)   Let us know how you get on.  Downloaded from LL website link and MDSUM checked.  Also ran the newly burned iso DVD on my HPDC7700 3GB Ram as Live and all systems seemed to be working.  So don't anticipate you will have problems  from a OS standpoint.  Still think you will be lucky to run you PC on just 512mb RAM even though the Graphics card supposedly has ints own 128mb memory built in.
Spec ? http://www.easyhelpguide.com/manual/HewlettPackard-MediaCenterm1180ukPhotosmartPC-Manual.html

Have sent PM  regarding memory upgrade options and possible local help to upgrade,

Hello Daniel (I hope you don't mind me using your name on a public forum) Given your & my location (it's a small old world is'nt it) I suppose we should'nt be surprised that they managed to deliver the DVD so quickly....you could almost have sent it by paper plane  :D Anyway,I had the usual terrible ordeal trying to install the op system:It would'nt retrieve updates from the initial welcome screen & then ground to a total halt upon being asked to upgrade drivers.I had to pull the plug in order to regain control of my computer.

After that getting wise to the situation upon reboot I ignored that screen completely & all went well,it retrieving & installing updates + drivers (sort of) & even upgrading so that I now seem to be running Linux lite version 3.2.Huzzar! & hang out the flags  :D

I'll take a look at your very considerate advice about adding RAM & if I can identify what I need accurately I might have a bash at buying a few GB's more from ebay second hand & give it a go.All the best & thanks to all that tried to help.(that thumbs up smiley again). :)

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
Good old Royal Mail. Only posted it on a second class stamp!!.  Afraid used an old envelope and Old DVD-RW, but the stamp was new ;)   Let us know how you get on.  Downloaded from LL website link and MDSUM checked.  Also ran the newly burned iso DVD on my HPDC7700 3GB Ram as Live and all systems seemed to be working.  So don't anticipate you will have problems  from a OS standpoint.  Still think you will be lucky to run you PC on just 512mb RAM even though the Graphics card supposedly has ints own 128mb memory built in.
Spec ? http://www.easyhelpguide.com/manual/HewlettPackard-MediaCenterm1180ukPhotosmartPC-Manual.html

Have sent PM  regarding memory upgrade options and possible local help to upgrade,
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 10:57:15 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
The "couldn't retrieve updates" issue is related to Google Chrome.  You will get that error whether you have Google Chrome installed or not.  The fix for it is located here:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-software/fix-for-google-chrome-on-linux-lite/.

After that fix, updates should run.  And then you can use Lite Upgrade to get to Linux Lite 2.8.

I just tried that until I lost the will to live & could'nt get it to work.Anyway,this morning I received a curious letter that the postman had to deliver by hand because she was confused between a 6 & a 4 & I thought I had received some kind of Christmas card that had been lost in the post but it turned out to be a DVD of Linux lite  version 3.2 so hopefully I won't have to frig around with all that stuff.Here's hoping.....

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 10:30:53 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

The "couldn't retrieve updates" issue is related to Google Chrome.  You will get that error whether you have Google Chrome installed or not.  The fix for it is located here:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-software/fix-for-google-chrome-on-linux-lite/.

After that fix, updates should run.  And then you can use Lite Upgrade to get to Linux Lite 2.8.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 04:00:28 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
No need for payment. Cost of a stamp :)     Buy a lottery ticket with it and we share the winnings ? ;)   Am I right that you mentioned earlier that you were running LL3.2.1  32 bit.  Is that from the Live DVD.      Is it only the keyboard with which you are having problems.

I'll happily buy a lottery ticket (the first one I have ever bought) & if it wins we'll split it 50/50 no problem..... but don't hold your breath.

The DVD that I acquired off ebay says on the label Linux Lite 2.6 32 bit.I stuck it in the drive & rebooted the computer & then install it to the hard disk after a fashion (it immediately said that it could'nt retrieve the updates).It dos'nt say it is "live" on the label but I presume that is what it is & what you are getting at?
The keyboard problems seem solved.It is the updating or upgrading that it won't do......I don't understand why when I attempted to upgrade it it said it would upgrade to lite 2.4 so presumably only linux lite version 2 is installed & it is this that I am using to enable me to type this message now. I shall leave it to those more competent than me to figure out what is going on I hav'nt got a clue.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

No need for payment. Cost of a stamp :)     Buy a lottery ticket with it and we share the winnings ? ;)   Am I right that you mentioned earlier that you were running LL3.2.1  32 bit.  Is that from the Live DVD.      Is it only the keyboard with which you are having problems.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 05:42:36 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Cavalry HERE :)   If you email me via this forum with your address I will send you a  DVD copy of linux 3.2 32 bit.

That is a very kind & generous offer.I have sent you my address details by pm.Please include your bank account details so that I can reimburse you for out of pocket expenses.(I'd add a thumbs up emotion but there dos'nt seem to be one).

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 05:28:59 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
The good news is that my keyboard problems seem to have been solved but I still cannot type to the terminal when asked to enter my password following bitsnpcs's command line still & this problem seems to have even spread to the original command line that I used & mentioned in my original post  :o

I am tempted to buy the official DVD but I expect the problems would just continue  :(

When you type a password in the terminal, no characters are displayed - its a security thing! Just type the whole password and press enter.

As for buying non-official DVDs from anonymous sources, forget it, you could be 'opening a can of worms'.
I see you are in the UK so if you wish, I'm sure someone in UK would offer to provide you with a dvd with the official download burned and ready to boot, or the loan of a bootable flash stick. Such is the support from the linux community. 
I have never had a problem with creating bootable dvds but I have certainly had problems trying to use the latest releases on old PCs, where hardwear support may be lacking. All (3) my PCs are old but all run LL2.8 very successfully.

I understand your frustration but your problems 'could' be self inflicted - we have all suffered in such ways!

Lets help you get this sorted (assuming your hardware is suitable) so you can be 'Happy linux user' instead of 'SICKOFLINUX' ....

Thanks for a sensitive response.I tried as you suggested & just carried on with the password entry regardless & it produces the response "Command not found." (when using btsnpcs's command line prompt & my original one).

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 04:02:43 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

Cavalry HERE :)   If you email me via this forum with your address I will send you a  DVD copy of linux 3.2 32 bit. 

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »

bluzeo

• Linux Magazine writer
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Amd 8 core

• VIDEO CARD: GT 210
but yea it needs to be offical  though. reading the top. buy only from lite website or osdisc

it morphin time

hey guys im Bluzeo and Linux Lite user that got his own open source company!

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 11:51:21 AM »

bluzeo

• Linux Magazine writer
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Amd 8 core

• VIDEO CARD: GT 210
for me i dont trust usb still. dvd are better

it morphin time

hey guys im Bluzeo and Linux Lite user that got his own open source company!

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 07:30:30 AM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
With regards to the being unable to type your password in the Terminal issue, have you tried just typing your password characters in anyway, and then hitting the Enter key?
You won't see the characters, or asterisks etc. when typing a password in Terminal, you just type the password characters & hit Enter.
It's possible also that the hardware on the "old & knackered" media centre you're trying to install to is past it's use by date & causing issues.
Just because something looks genuine doesn't mean it is.
Printing an official looking sticker and attaching it to a non-official DVD is very easy to do.
As already mentioned in this thread, the contents of the DVD might have been altered, perhaps in such a way that's making the install or correct running of the operating system fail.

EDIT: Too slow I was, what I said's already covered in the post above.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 07:32:59 AM by JmaCWQ »

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:09:44 AM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
The good news is that my keyboard problems seem to have been solved but I still cannot type to the terminal when asked to enter my password following bitsnpcs's command line still & this problem seems to have even spread to the original command line that I used & mentioned in my original post  :o

I am tempted to buy the official DVD but I expect the problems would just continue  :(

When you type a password in the terminal, no characters are displayed - its a security thing! Just type the whole password and press enter.

As for buying non-official DVDs from anonymous sources, forget it, you could be 'opening a can of worms'.
I see you are in the UK so if you wish, I'm sure someone in UK would offer to provide you with a dvd with the official download burned and ready to boot, or the loan of a bootable flash stick. Such is the support from the linux community. 
I have never had a problem with creating bootable dvds but I have certainly had problems trying to use the latest releases on old PCs, where hardwear support may be lacking. All (3) my PCs are old but all run LL2.8 very successfully.

I understand your frustration but your problems 'could' be self inflicted - we have all suffered in such ways!

Lets help you get this sorted (assuming your hardware is suitable) so you can be 'Happy linux user' instead of 'SICKOFLINUX' ....

1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:25 AM »

SICKOFLINUX

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »

bayoubooger

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: ASUS X541SA

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 405
Why did you buy it at all? I just downloaded and burned the image to a cd and installed on my laptop, no problem, no quirks. I have been running this distro for about two weeks now: to the point that it is very close to becoming my primary tool despite the fact that I am surrounded by laptops that are running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows XP. (I erased the Vista to put in LL...).

I bought it because I tried every other conceivable method of installing Linux lite on this computer spending hours on youtube trying to get the gist of it & none of the methods worked for all sorts of complicated reasons.Not least that the DVD burning facility that worked for years in Windows XP suddenly started not recognizing DVD's it had previously successfully burned DVD's to when placed it's own DVD writer drive.(I have previously burned UBUNTU 12.04 onto a DVD no problem & installed LUBUNTU on a small laptop with a usb key so I am not exactly a novice at this).I have had computer problems that are simply beyond belief & am now inclined to think that they are all the work of the Devil.

Alas, me thinks it is the work of Lucifer. Good Luck!  :P
changed from Windows 10 to a REAL OS

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section