Software - Support > Installing Linux Lite

How to do a full legacy-bios install onto USB stick from live desktop shortcut.

<< < (2/2)

Mouse1:
I have created booted a persistent linux lite live USB on a legacy bios computer by using Rufus and the live ISO, and very much like what I see.  :). Many thanks to all involved!

I would now like to install Linux Lite fully but:

* on a 32Gb USB stick not a hard disk. (It is currently formatted in one partition as Ext4).
* to run on my legacy bios computer, not on a UEFI computer.
I have followed your clear instructions regarding how to fully install on a legacy bios computer from the Linux Lite Live desktop installation link, but am somewhat confused regarding what to do after selecting an Install Type of 'Something Else'. I don't want to risk over-writing my Windows boot hard disk or related data disk (though all my data is backed up and I have disk clone), nor disconnect my hard disk as I might mess the hardware up!.

Assuming I know how to identify my target USB in partitioning table (I do!), will it work OK, and not over-write either of my hard disks, if I do the following in the sequence indicated:

* Using the Device for Bootloader Installation drop-down, select my target USB as the destination for the boot loader
* In the Installation Type, Device/Partitions list, select and choose to change my target USB, formatting it again (to make sure!) with a single Ext4 partition and mount point of '/'
* In the Installation Type, Device/Partitions list, click on my target USB - the whole device not the partition - so it is highlit. (I note that if you don't do this it seems to revert to highlighting the main hard disk after changing the target USB).
* Press Continue
I assume in the above that the target medium for the installation of all items (apart from the bootloader) is the disk that is highlit, is that true? Also that the installer knows that I am on a legacy bios machine and so will install the right boot sector.

I have checked the manual and forum for help on this exact topic and not found it. This approach to doing an install to USB looked promising and very safe, though it does not use the Lite Live desktop shortcut. But it seems to be about creating a persistent live usb install, not a full install, and does not mention the legacy bios issue. My apologies if I have missed something. I have also checked the posting guidelines and realize that the Lite Live desktop installation shortcut wizard may not have been programmed by Linux Lite, but as a newbie I am not sure how to tell.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated. It is my first post, so please forgive any infelicities.

Kind regards

Mouse1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version