You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How to configure Grub to boot instead of Windows

Author (Read 5697 times)

Re: How to configure Grub to boot instead of Windows
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 07:18:42 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Hi everyone,

Very new to Linux Lite. I have a dual install of LL and Windows, and can't get LL to boot. The only way I can use Linux Lite is by booting up Windows and then going Settings > Recovery > advanced Restart > Restart from USB etc and then I select Ubuntu, and it restarts and boots Linux instead of Windows. Not what I want to be doing every time obviously!

I already posted on this and had some suggestions but no fix. I think what I need to do is configure Grub so that it boots first instead of Windows. One user told me to input sudo nano /etc/default/grub , but then I wasn't sure what to do after that.

Any help appreciated, many thanks!

Adrian

I also have windows installed alongside Linux, and in my case pressing F9 on start up, takes me to a menu where I can choose which system to boot to.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 09:47:05 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

As far as I can see, even if you edit grub, your boot manager is still pointing to windows. To access to the boot manager on power up requires pressing the correct key at the right time which is deliberately made difficult.  Without the same hardware it is difficult to advise much.  To get into the system boot manager have you tried

Windows Start
Settings
Update & Security
Recovery
Restart Now
Troubleshoot
Advanced
UEFI Firmware Settings
Restart

This should reboot into the boot manager.  The acer boot manager *may* allow you to re-order boot options and shift grub (or ubuntu) to the top.  If not, the best bet (in my view) is to look for a way to make the boot manager reliably accessible by hot key on each boot.  Look for something like a 'hot key delay'.  Setting a power on password might help as you know to press the hot key immediately after the password.

If you can't progress this route, the windows tool bcdedit might be worth looking at.

Thanks a lot Steve. I feel like I have tried most of that, but I'll try the other things you suggested. I really appreciate your response, and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Adrian

I'd second this...
UEFI boot menu/options and look for the UEFI boot order - choosing 'ubuntu' and saving....
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 06:53:13 PM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
As far as I can see, even if you edit grub, your boot manager is still pointing to windows. To access to the boot manager on power up requires pressing the correct key at the right time which is deliberately made difficult.  Without the same hardware it is difficult to advise much.  To get into the system boot manager have you tried

Windows Start
Settings
Update & Security
Recovery
Restart Now
Troubleshoot
Advanced
UEFI Firmware Settings
Restart

This should reboot into the boot manager.  The acer boot manager *may* allow you to re-order boot options and shift grub (or ubuntu) to the top.  If not, the best bet (in my view) is to look for a way to make the boot manager reliably accessible by hot key on each boot.  Look for something like a 'hot key delay'.  Setting a power on password might help as you know to press the hot key immediately after the password.

If you can't progress this route, the windows tool bcdedit might be worth looking at.

Thanks a lot Steve. I feel like I have tried most of that, but I'll try the other things you suggested. I really appreciate your response, and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Adrian
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:56:04 PM by adrianhouse78 »

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 02:32:16 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

Windows Start
Settings
Update & Security
Recovery
Restart Now
Troubleshoot
Advanced
UEFI Firmware Settings
Restart

clueless

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 01:32:46 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

'grub' is a system file so take care editing and consider making a back up copy before changing anything.

When you type in 'sudo nano /etc/default/grub', you are opening the system file called grub using nano.  Nano is a simple terminal based text editor similar to notepad but without the mouse options.  Because 'grub' is a system file, you need 'sudo' to allow you to save any changes you make.

The cursor will appear over the start of the first line.  Press the down arrow to move it to the line you wish to change so that the first letter of the line is highlighted. Press the '#' hash key.  This should move the whole line to the right and insert a # at the start of it.  The # causes the line to be treated as a comment rather than an instruction so this is referred to as 'commenting out' the instruction.

If you are happy with the change press 'CTRL' and 'o' .  This prompts you for a 'File Name to Write:' and will suggest '/etc/default/grub' so pressing return here will save your change to that file.  Then press 'CTRL' and x to leave nano

To complete the change you need to type

Code: [Select]
sudo update-grub
and press return.
clueless

How to configure Grub to boot instead of Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 09:53:26 AM »

adrianhouse78

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

Very new to Linux Lite. I have a dual install of LL and Windows, and can't get LL to boot. The only way I can use Linux Lite is by booting up Windows and then going Settings > Recovery > advanced Restart > Restart from USB etc and then I select Ubuntu, and it restarts and boots Linux instead of Windows. Not what I want to be doing every time obviously!

I already posted on this and had some suggestions but no fix. I think what I need to do is configure Grub so that it boots first instead of Windows. One user told me to input sudo nano /etc/default/grub , but then I wasn't sure what to do after that.

Any help appreciated, many thanks!

Adrian

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section