You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Fresh Install 4.6, Error 5 Input/output faulty CS/DVD or Hard Disk

Author (Read 2680 times)

Re: Fresh Install 4.6, Error 5 Input/output faulty CS/DVD or Hard Disk
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 09:37:20 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: e5300

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
I don't have a clue what is going on, but since nobody else has chimed in...

Two things to try that I can think of:

1. Use a different HD if possible.
2. Install from a usb drive.

I suppose it's remotely possible that it is a linux issue or distro issue (compatability with your pc) but that seems really unlikely.

Fresh Install 4.6, Error 5 Input/output faulty CS/DVD or Hard Disk
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »

MarkTremel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I am a new Linux Lite user and also new to Linux.  I attempted to install the most recent version on 12/1/19 and received error 5 input/output error faulty cd/dvd or hard disk.

- I have an older desktop computer with 4 fixed disks in it (120 GB, 200 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB).
- The hard disk in question was a 200 GB fixed disk with nothing on it and I let the installer repartition (wipe it out option.)
- I tried it two more times using different fixed disks and trying different options from the installer, all ended in the same error.
- I burned the ISO to a DVD using a Windows machine (the one I am trying to update will soon be a former Windows PC.)
- I sent my hardware info to the online database, but I do not know what it is recorded under. 

Could it be the DVD?  I looked at many posts before posting but could not find anyone describing this error.  Some similar errors indicated creating the ISO using a Linux machine.  If I need to create the install device using a Linux machine, how do I do that when I don't have one yet?   ;D   Rhetorical question, I know, but I do not have one available to me so I can't do that.

The computer was given to me and was working fine until the Windows updates became too much to bear.  It is currently in between being a Linux computer and a Windows computer since the first LL install wiped out the Windows install on the 200 GB drive.  (No worries on that, I am glad it is gone!!)  But, communicating info about the desktop is a little tougher until I can get it resolved.  I am at work right now and the desktop is at home.

If I need to provide more technical detail about my desktop please let me know what it is and I can find out.  I really want to use Linux Lite and I am pretty technical (depending on who you compare me to) but a complete noob on Linux.

Thanks in advance,
Mark in Detroit
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 10:12:45 PM by firenice03 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section