You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install on Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5105?

Author (Read 4594 times)

Re: Install on Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5105?
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 05:35:21 PM »

OzarkJoe

• Average Joe
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Newbie
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E-300

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
While everything seemed to work just fine with my circa 2008 Toshiba Satellite L300, things started to get a little annoying when I put in a (cheap) Kingston 240GB SSD. The original 320GB HDD was a ticking time bomb with over 300 bad blocks so I knew it was only a matter of time before it went kaboom in a cloud of dust. However, it never failed to boot, nor gave me any indication of failure.

Boot times with the SSD are a bit better and apps seem a little faster but coincidentally, with the the new SSD came an issue with power management not working properly with fans not coming on when they should and a non responsive system coming out of suspend, requiring a reboot.

The interesting thing is that everything functioned correctly with the original HDD. So as long as I don't enable "suspend" the old girl functions reasonably well (at least so far) with the new SSD.
I was considering something similar. There's a $45 (US) SSD on Amazon and NewEgg, but I've read about some Toshiba compatibility issues. For me I don't think it will be worth the worry.

My Linux Lite laptop will be my secondary/backup device. My separate desktop (once I get my desk built and unbox the computer) will be my main computer. My desktop will remain Windows. It's the most familiar system for my wife and I certainly don't want to confuse her. She is extremely non-technical.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 11:03:22 AM »

colin.p

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core Duo

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: On board Intel GPU

While everything seemed to work just fine with my circa 2008 Toshiba Satellite L300, things started to get a little annoying when I put in a (cheap) Kingston 240GB SSD. The original 320GB HDD was a ticking time bomb with over 300 bad blocks so I knew it was only a matter of time before it went kaboom in a cloud of dust. However, it never failed to boot, nor gave me any indication of failure.

Boot times with the SSD are a bit better and apps seem a little faster but coincidentally, with the the new SSD came an issue with power management not working properly with fans not coming on when they should and a non responsive system coming out of suspend, requiring a reboot.

The interesting thing is that everything functioned correctly with the original HDD. So as long as I don't enable "suspend" the old girl functions reasonably well (at least so far) with the new SSD.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 01:34:16 AM »

OzarkJoe

• Average Joe
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Newbie
    • View Profile

Yes, the laptop was very sluggish. I'll need to check the specks, but I think the HD may still be a 5400. The old one died and I needed something in a hurry and cheap. I'd love a faster disk, but this is going to have to do for now. I retired and bought a new home a year ago and that's where my focus has been. I'm just getting around to setting up my office. My desktop is still in the moving box. 😒 Priorities! 😁
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:36:00 AM by OzarkJoe »

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 10:53:10 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@OzarkJoe

I'm surprised it ran Windows 8 with those specs.  Sounds like it wouldn't have been fun.  My first desktop PC that ran Linux Lite full time I got around 2008, and it had a dual core 2.3 GHz processor and a 7200 RPM drive.  Why 3 years later someone sold you a dual core 1.3 GHz processor PC with a 5400 RPM drive makes me mad for you.  I've helped a few folks transition to Linux via Linux Lite, and I noticed things ran better if their processor was 2.0 GHz and above, whether it was multicore or not.

I believe your current specs will run.  I sure hope the replacement drive isn't also 5400 RPM.  It'll work, but I think all 5400 RPM drives should just be thrown away or at most used for backups.  If it is 5400RPM, you're not going to have the same computing experience as I do, and I don't have the latest tech for my PC by any means.  But I do have a very pleasant computing experience because of Linux Lite and decent specs, ie. above the minimum requirements for all categories.

Linux Lite is about being light on resources, but the distro doesn't position itself as only being for old hardware.  It's about being a viable alternative for Windows or Mac users without having to be a command line techie.  Reviewers who say that Lite's focus is for old hardware just don't know what they're talking about.

Run Lite from the trial before installing.  See if it connects to the internet and your printer.  Try running a streaming video from Rumble or YouTube to see if the sound is in sync with the video without jitter.  If all that checks out, go ahead and install it.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 10:55:27 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 07:36:40 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@OzarkJoe
Those specs are good to go - the original were plenty good...

From the Release Notes...  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/release-announcements/linux-lite-5-8-final-released/

Preferred Specs:
1.5GHz processor+
1024mb ram+
20gb HDD/SSD+
VGA, DVI or HDMI screen capable of 1366x768 resolution+
DVD drive or USB port for the ISO image

Give the Release notes a once over and/or the HELP docs for a review to create the bootable USB or install.
Great info and a walk thru so you can have an idea of what to expect --- if you haven't yet...

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

Install on Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5105?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 07:20:57 PM »

OzarkJoe

• Average Joe
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Newbie
    • View Profile

I'm preparing for a Linux Lite install on an old Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5105 laptop. This device started out with a Windows 8 several years ago.

The original specs:
• AMD Dual-Core E-300 Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics 1.3 GHz, 1MB Cache
• AMD A68M Chipset
• 4GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM*
• 320GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive*

*The HD was replaced with a 250GB drive and the RAM is now 8GB.

Does this look decent for a LL install? Any thoughts on other things I should keep in mind before I install?

Thanks

Joe
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 01:18:13 AM by OzarkJoe »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section