You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Installation hung up on 'Creating user'

Author (Read 10661 times)

Re: Installation hung up on 'Creating user'
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 01:22:45 PM »

n7tek

I'm pretty sure I had the exact same issue as "mkamerick".  I followed the steps listed in this thread and I was able to get the Linux Lite installation completed.  It's good to know that the encryption of the home directory folders & files has a BUG causing the installation to hang since I have to install Linux Lite on 4 more machines.  I did install Linux Lite as a dual boot install with WinXP.  Sorry for the confusion.

I need to learn more about GPart & the other partition programs (which is best & how to do it) but I will post that elsewhere.

Thank you,
John

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:19:03 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
n7tek,

It is best to start a new post of your own for support rather than adding on to someone else's.  Otherwise things get too confusing with posts aimed at more than one person in the same thread.

When making your post, state the problem you have and provide details on what you've done and what you are stuck on along with basic information about the computer you are using.  Try to clear up the following:

Quote from: n7tek
So if encryption of the /home directory doesn't work (it's a known bug) - how do I recover from this?

The answer I gave to mkamerick was about restoring the Windows XP bootloader.  It's unclear from your post whether that is even your problem.  Is it?

Quote from: n7tek
Will following theses steps recover my installation?

Not unless booting Windows XP is what you need to recover.

In your new post, state whether this is an installation that you had done and working for a while -- that went bad; or if you had similar problem getting it installed in the first place when checking the option to use encryption?

Let us know if there are any other operating systems on the drive also and what those are?
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »

n7tek

So if encryption of the /home directory doesn't work (it's a known bug) - how do I recover from this?  Will following theses steps recover my installation?

"Can probably solve that easily by following these instructions:  How to Repair MBR (Windows Boot Loader) From Ubuntu.  Open a terminal (Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal), then follow the instructions beginning at step #2.  (Step #1 is unnecessary.)   It would be best to copy/paste those commands as opposed to typing them out.  That way you'll avoid potential typos and/or syntax issues.  Definitely do that for the step #3 command!  If you make a typo, it could wipe out the drive.

When you're done with above, reboot w/o USB and see if it worked.  Then reboot into live LL USB again and post back the output of the two commands in my first post so we can see what partitions are on the drive now.

Let us know your experience level with Linux also.  Will know how detailed to make answers then.

P.s.  Did you have to shrink any Windows partitions before the LL install?  And if so, did you defragment drive before doing that?
[/font]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:18:08 PM by gold_finger »

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:42:48 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Ticking the encrypt box will cause it to hang at Create User, this is a known Ubuntu bug.

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 05:51:14 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Glad you were able to get this all sorted out! Yes, if you resize a Windows partition, it triggers a CHKDSK on the next boot into Windows...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »

mkamerick

Thanks again for your response.
I was able to get through the install on my last try.
I did end up redoing the partition map by hand, as two failed installs
had left two Linux root partitions and two swap partitions laying around.
I also did NOT click the box to have my own account encrypted.
The install went just fine.
I can dual boot now.  The first time through booting XP I did have to run
all the CHKDSK stuff, but it worked.

Without question this limited little machine runs better on Linux Lite than XP,
so I am pleased to have finally gotten through the install.

And I can still access the original user files.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Quote from: mkamerick
netbook has a 160GB hard drive, not a small SSD, so I don't see space per se as the issue.

Ok -- space probably not the issue then.

Quote from: mkamerick
At this point, I think an MBR has been (re)written, because the machine won't boot XP anymore.
Or anything.

Can probably solve that easily by following these instructions:  How to Repair MBR (Windows Boot Loader) From Ubuntu.  Open a terminal (Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal), then follow the instructions beginning at step #2.  (Step #1 is unnecessary.)   It would be best to copy/paste those commands as opposed to typing them out.  That way you'll avoid potential typos and/or syntax issues.  Definitely do that for the step #3 command!  If you make a typo, it could wipe out the drive.

When you're done with above, reboot w/o USB and see if it worked.  Then reboot into live LL USB again and post back the output of the two commands in my first post so we can see what partitions are on the drive now.

Let us know your experience level with Linux also.  Will know how detailed to make answers then.

P.s.  Did you have to shrink any Windows partitions before the LL install?  And if so, did you defragment drive before doing that?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:18:08 PM by gold_finger »

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »

mkamerick

Thanks very much for your thoughtful reply, but this netbook has a 160GB hard drive, not a small SSD,
so I don't see space per se as the issue.
It may be that the partition map the installation is selecting for the dual boot option
is an issue.
At this point, I think an MBR has been (re)written, because the machine won't boot XP anymore.
Or anything.

I can still boot off the USB stick.

One other thought I had is that I selected the option to encrypt my own user directory.
Since the install hangs up at 'Create user', I thought perhaps that was an issue.
I am going to try this one more time without that option.

But I do appreciate any suggestions.

MK

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm not familiar with netbooks, but this link shows that the Acer Aspire One netbook only has an 8GB SSD.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One#Preparation_prior_to_installing_Arch_Linux

If that is the case with you, then it's likely that there isn't enough room left on the drive for the Linux installation with Windows XP on it.

That link also recommends using a separate SD card in card reader slot for to use as a separate /home partition because of the SSD size limitation.  In effect, it's saying the best way to install on a system like yours is to have the "/" (root) partition installed to the SSD and have /home and swap partitions on the SD card.  Do you have an SD card you could use for this purpose?  (If not, you will still be able to fit the Linux Lite installation on the SSD -- you just won't have a whole lot of room for saving things.)

To confirm that this may be your problem, boot-up using the live USB.  Then open a terminal (Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal), and enter these commands in the terminal one at a time:

Code: [Select]
sudo fdisk -l
lsblk
(Note:  the first command ends in a lowercase "L", not the number 1.)

Copy/Paste that output from terminal back here for us to see.  To do that, hit the code button "#" above where you type reply, then paste the output between the two code blocks -- [ code ]...[ /code ].

Installation hung up on 'Creating user'
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »

mkamerick

I am trying to install Linux Lite on an Acer Aspire One netbook.
The installation hangs up a the 'Create user' point and never gets past it.
This is my second attempt.  The first one went on for over 24 hours before
I shut down the netbook.

The netbook does boot the LiveOS off of a USB stick perfectly well.
Linux Lite seems to run well on this little machine.

I am trying to install a dual boot configuration in order to preserve
the user files still in the XP partition.
If that is a real source of problems I could just do a full wipe and install.

Tia.

M. Kamerick

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section