You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dual Booting LL 2.0 with other Ubuntu (14.04) based distros

Author (Read 21355 times)

Re: Dual Booting LL 2.0 with other Ubuntu (14.04) based distros
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 06:50:18 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Quote from: m654321
Also if I run a virtual machine (e.g. using Oracle Virtualbox to run Windows XP), will this automatically be installed on /mnt/DATA, or will it appear in zorin/home or ll/home?
I'm going to answer this first.

Virtual Box creates two things in your home folder -- configuration related files and a place where it stores your VMs (Virtual Machines).
  • Config file = /home/username/.config/VirtualBox
  • VM files = /home/username/VirtualBox VMs  (or something to that effect)

If you want the VMs to be saved on your DATA partition (good idea), you will need to create a folder on the DATA partition for them first ("VBox_VMs" for example).  Then copy everything in /home/username/Virtualbox VMs over to /mnt/DATA/VBox_VMs.  ("VBox_VMs" is just my example -- you can be name it whatever you want.  Would be best to not have spaces in the name.)  Once you've copied that over, open VirtualBox and change the default location that it looks to for those VMs.

*  From main VBox window, click File -> Preferences
*  Under General -> Default Machine Folder fill-in the location where you want those VMs to be stored.  In your case, that will be something like /mnt/DATA/VBox_VMs.  (Mine reads differently because I use the bind method instead of symlinks.)

*  Click OK when done.
*  Shutdown VBox and restart it.

I can't remember if the machines you have automatically show as available right away or if you need to "add" them back to main interface window.  If you don't see them, click Machine -> Add.  That will open the new folder location that you set for it to look in and list your VMs.  Highlight the one you want and hit Open.

Once you confirm that everything works, go ahead and delete that original folder, /home/username/VirtualBox VMs.

If you want to create a symlink to that new folder location in /home/username follow same format as you did to create the other symlinks:
Code: [Select]
ln -s /mnt/DATA/VBox_VMs /home/username

If you want the VMs to be save in your /home partition, then you'll need to take that into account when choosing a size for the /home partitions.  It will need to be much bigger in order to accomodate the size of the virtual drives you'll be making.  However, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put them in /home.  If you have them on the DATA partition, you can keep and re-use them when installing new OSs and you can also use the same VMs in both LL and Zorin rather than duplicating them in each OS's /home.

However I have two internal hard drives on my laptop and would like to organize partitions in such a way as to increase efficiency in the way the two operating systems work.  The core of each OS will go on sda, while the /mnt/DATA and separate home partitions (i.e. zorin6/home and ll2/home) will go on sdb.

My question is this -  ...when I create the links from zorin & LL to /mnt/DATA, I assume should use the UUIDs of the separate home partitions on sdb, rather than the UUIDs of the core of the operating systems on sda?

I'm assuming you are asking about how entries should look in /etc/fstab file.  Answer is "No".  The UUIDs of the home partitions are not involved in the symlinking process.

With regard to anything on the DATA partition that you are symlinking to, the line for mounting the DATA partition does not change no matter where you are symlinking to.  You still have just one line with the UUID of the DATA partition for auto-mounting it on boot (not counting a comment line you may want to describe the mounting line).  Basically, when you're done each OS will have lines for mounting:
  • their root partition
  • their home partition
  • the swap partition
  • the DATA partition

If you are planning to re-install both OSs so they each have a separate /home partition, the install process will automatically create fstab lines for the partitions you designate when installing.  When selecting partitions and setting mount points during the install process, if you also select the DATA partition and assign it the mount point "/mnt/DATA", that too will be automatically entered into the fstab file.  Just remember not to check the box to format that DATA partition if you've already got things on it.  (If you prefer, you can just set up the DATA partition after the installation and manually add the entry needed in fstab.)

If the DATA partition is brand new (not the same one you have already started using), you will need take ownership of the mount point after booting into each distro.
sudo chown -R your-username:your-username /mnt/DATA
If you are using same DATA partition that you've already setup, you shouldn't need to do that unless you have changed your username to a different one than what you have now.  That's because in Linux the permissions are set on the filesystem itself and stay with it until you change it again.  You could move that drive to a different computer and as long both computers have you setup with the same username and UID#, you will be able to access and use the files on that DATA partition immediately without needing to use a root password.

If you are planning to add a new /home partition after-the-fact to each installation -- that is a different situation and can be a bit complicated.  I've not done that myself, so here are a couple of links that get into those details:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
http://www.howtogeek.com/116742/

(Not sure if old symlinks will still work or not.  You might need to redo them.) 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 01:09:48 AM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Gold_Finger, you said re. shared data partition...
Here is a tutorial describing how to do that:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=203.0.  When using a separate data partition like that, I don't bother making /home a separate partition -- I just let it reside on the same partition as root.  If you decide to still make /home as a separate partition, just keep in mind that it doesn't need to be very big because it's only holding config files.

The above was to do with creating a separate /mnt/DATA partition to share between zorin & LL. I did this - it worked well using the symlink method.  However I have two internal hard drives on my laptop and would like to organize partitions in such a way as to increase efficiency in the way the two operating systems work.  The core of each OS will go on sda, while the /mnt/DATA and separate home partitions (i.e. zorin6/home and ll2/home) will go on sdb.

My question is this -  ...when I create the links from zorin & LL to /mnt/DATA, I assume should use the UUIDs of the separate home partitions on sdb, rather than the UUIDs of the core of the operating systems on sda? Also if I run a virtual machine (e.g. using Oracle Virtualbox to run Windows XP), will this automatically be installed on /mnt/DATA, or will it appear in zorin/home or ll/home?

PS. Yes, I found the config files on the separate home partitions for both zorin and LL only took up between 60 and 70 MB of disk space.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:56:32 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 09:52:56 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

m654321,

Glad to here all worked out well.

Gold_finger, I assume you are one of the development team at LL - is that correct?  I really appreciate how helpful you have been.  To express my gratitude I've just made a donation to the LL cause... keep up the excellent work!
Yes, but only in a minor way.  Valtam is the mastermind behind LL development.  So far, I've only contributed content to the Help Manual, but am not involved in coding of system.  (Am trying to learn some programming and maybe I'll get to the point where I can contribute in that way also in the future.)  On behalf of LL, thank you very much for the donation -- it's much appreciated.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Great news !! It w-o-r-k-s ....

....just to be certain of this (after entering in the terminal what you suggested in the above post, I logged off & rebooted into both LL & zorin at least a couple of times.  I discovered that I didn't even need to remount LL.  I think it didn't work before as the command "sudo umount /dev/sda2" was missing.

Gold_finger, I assume you are one of the development team at LL - is that correct?  I really appreciate how helpful you have been.  To express my gratitude I've just made a donation to the LL cause... keep up the excellent work!

Kind regards
Mike
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

m654321,

Thanks for the detailed response.  This should be an easy fix!  However, now that I see how thorough you are, I'm worried that you may not have made some minor error before and the problem is more difficult than I first thought.  We'll soon find out.  Follow steps below and everything should end up working.  If it doesn't then we've got a more difficult problem than I thought.

*  Boot computer with live Linux Lite DVD (not Zorin DVD)

*  When up and running, open a terminal

*  Mount the LL2 root partition on the HDD to the live environment
sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
*  Install grub to the MBR of sda drive
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
*  Unmount the LL2 root partition
sudo umount /dev/sda2
*  Close terminal, shutdown live DVD and remove from tray.

*  Boot computer normally again and you should have LL2 grub menu show up with LL2 being first (default) choice and Zorin further down list.  (LL2 is now in charge of booting the computer.)  It's possible that it may either boot straight into LL2 without giving boot menu, or show boot menu without Zorin on it.  If either of those two things happens, then let computer boot into LL2, open a terminal and run command to update grub.  That should add Zorin to menu and cause grub menu to show on next reboot.
sudo update-grub

Let us know if this worked.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 08:39:53 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

A big thank you for your continued support gold_finger.
Re: zorin/LL dual boot: sda1 = zorin 9; sda2 = LL 2.0. 
Below is the output copied/pasted from terminal, which I did from zorin (though LL now shows listed in grub screen, clicking on it produces an error message about a filename being expected)

zorin9@zorin9-X71Q:~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0   0  74.5G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0  37.3G  0 part /
└─sda2   8:2    0  37.3G  0 part
sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   0     1K  0 part
├─sdb2   8:18   0   9.5G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sdb5   8:21   0   922G  0 part /mnt/DATA
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom 

zorin9@zorin9-X71Q:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[sudo] password for zorin9:
/dev/sda1: UUID="ddb72935-02d6-49ea-973b-053d68e104bb" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda2: UUID="fcde3e47-a512-482f-9ac7-00506968b433" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdb2: UUID="5147c0ce-be05-47ab-be26-c623dff3d701" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb5: UUID="fc6ae4e0-1269-4163-a832-72df39c54914" TYPE="ext4"

zorin9@zorin9-X71Q:~$ sudo os-prober
  No volume groups found
/dev/sda2:Linux Lite 2.0 (14.04):Ubuntu:linux
zorin9@zorin9-X71Q:~$

Below is a blow-by-blow account of the dual distro set up...

Setting up a dual boot system for two distros (Linux Lite OS 2.0 with Zorin OS 9, both 64-bit)
On the first hard drive Zorin was installed, followed by LL.  On a second internal hard drive, a separate DATA partition was created to share files between the two distros, together with a separate swap file partition.
1. Set-up DVD for Zorin placed in DVD reader
2. “Install Zorin” option chosen
3. “download updates while installing” chosen
4. “something else” chosen
5. “new partition table” for sda (80 GB) and sdb (1 TB) chosen
6. The partition table ... the 80GB drive was partitioned into two parts.  The first, sda1, for installing Zorin was made a primary partition, while sda2 (for LL) was left as free space.

Device         Type   Mount point   Format           Size               Used            System
/dev/sda   
/dev/sda1        ext4      /                    Yes                   39998 MB     unknown
free space                                                                 40026 MB
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb5        ext4     /mnt/DATA  Yes                  989999 MB    15745 MB
/dev/sdb2        swap                                                10203 MB             0 MB

7. Zorin files then copied from DVD and installed - username chosen = zorin9. Set up for zorin then completed.
8. Set-up DVD for LL placed in DVD reader
9. “execute LL”  chosen
10. “download updates while installing” chosen
11. “something else” chosen
12. Click on free space under /dev/sda
13. Click “+” and choose new partition for the free space, now made into sda2
14. Appearance of new partition table...
/mnt/DATA was retyped for sdb5 but format option NOT chosen.
Primary partition was chosen for sda2 with mount point at “/” chosen

Device      Type   Mount point   Format           Size               Used            System
/dev/sda   
/dev/sda1            ext4                                            39998 MB    10746 MB   Zorin OS 9 (9)
/dev/sda2            ext4      /                Yes                   40026 MB     unknown
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb5            ext4     /mnt/DATA  Yes                 989999 MB    15745 MB
/dev/sdb2          swap                                                 10203 MB             0 MB

15. On the partition table window, the device shown for boot loader installation is given as:
/dev/sda      ATA FUJITSU MHW2080B (80 GB)   
However the option for boot loader installation on /dev/sda2 (which is the LL 2.0 partition) is the one chosen.

16. page shows that the default option this will be installed on.
However the option to change this to /dev/sda2 is chosen
17. LL  files then copied from DVD and installed - username chosen = ll2 (lower case LL!). Set up for LL then completed
18. Computer rebooted: Zorin appears on the grubscreen, but not LL.
19. Click on option for Zorin and the OS loads.
Appearance of partition table from Zorin using Gparted...
Device      Type       Mount point   Size               Used            Unused     Flags
/dev/sda   
/dev/sda1         ext4        /                  37.25 GB      10.01 GB      27.24 GB   boot
/dev/sda2         ext4                          37.28 GB        3.65 GB      33.63 GB
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1         extended                   922.01 GB         -                      -
/dev/sdb5         ext4     /mnt/DATA    922.01 GB       14.66 GB     907.34 GB
/dev/sdb2         linux swap                     9.50 GB         4.00 KB         9.50 GB

20. After installing updates for Zorin a message regarding Debconf on zorin9-X71Q presents the following...
Configuring grub-pc
What do you want to do about modified configuration file grub?
Install the package maintainer’s version?
Keep the local version currently installed?
Show the difference between the two versions?
Show a side-by-side difference between the versions?
Show a 3-way difference between available versions?
Do a 3-way merge between available versions (experimental)?
Start a new shell to examine the situation?

I choose the first option in this list.

On rebooting LL and zorin appear as choices in grub screen but when LL chosen, a black screen is presented with an underlined message shown as “error: filename expected. Press any key to continue. . .”   though Zorin continues to reboot normally.

Please let me know if you need any other information.
Many thanks indeed for you time on this.
Kind regards
Mike

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Shall I still send you a screenshot from Gparted or an output from the terminal (i.e. from sudo blkid).

Yes, go ahead and post a screenshot from GParted showing the partitions on the drive.  (This post describes how to post a screenshot and terminal output if you need that info.)

Sounds like you can not boot into LL 2.0 at this point and the drive currently has only Zorin and LL on it.  Is that correct?  If not, tell us how many OSs are on the drive, which ones they are, and which ones you are able to boot into currently?

If you can boot into LL 2.0, then go ahead and do that.  If not, boot into Zorin and run the commands below.  (Let us know which distro you ran the commands from.)

lsblk
sudo blkid -c /dev/null
sudo parted -l
sudo os-prober

Just in case we can't tell from screenshot and command output, if you are currently sharing one /home partition between both OSs, let us know that.

I am pretty sure we can get this to work and that you probably just made a slight error in your prior attempt.  Also, just so you know, the boot flag shown in GParted is not something to worry about.  It's my understanding that, unless you have a very ancient BIOS,  Linux just ignores the boot flag.  (I could be wrong, but fairly certain I read that somewhere before.)

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

See quote in post above - I tried the above, and used the instructions in the link, but sadly I couldn't get this to work.  In my dual boot system (LL 2.0 with zorin 9, both are ubuntu 14.04), only zorin showed up on grub screen.  So I mounted LL 2.0 using the Terminal within the live DVD of zorin 9 (and a subsequent attempt with LL live DVD), deleted/removed Grub from LL's sda (i.e. using sudo apt-get remove grub; sudo apt-get purge grub; sudo apt-get autoremove), and then reinstalled it according to your instructions.  This had the effect of grub now showing both distros listed, but when I choose LL it went to the LL's start up screen but hung indefinitely at this screen. A forced restart by pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys produced the same again.  LL 1.0.8 dual boots very smoothly with zorin 9 - no issues whatsoever. By the way I ensured that LL 2 had the bootloader - on my laptop the first distro that is set up carries the flag boot, not the second as you mentioned in point (1) above. If I load LL 2 last, zorin 9 has the boot flag instead.  I tried redirecting the bootloader to LL using Gparted when I set up LL 2 last (instead of first), using the Gparted option to do this, but this didn't work either.

Shall I still send you a screenshot from Gparted or an output from the terminal (i.e. from sudo blkid). It would be great to dual boot LL 2.0 with another distro, instead of using LL 1.0.8 with another distro, as the more up to date LL version is significantly better.  Anyway, hopefully this one can be cracked... thanks for your continued support on this one.

Kind regards
Mike

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:18:20 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

The dual-boot problem only occurs when another OS's grub is in charge of booting computer.  Easiest way to solve the problem is to make sure LL 2.0 is in charge of booting.  You can do that in one of two ways:

1.  Install LL 2.0 last and direct grub bootloader installation to the MBR of the drive (which is normally the default on any installation).

2.  If LL 2.0 is already on system and you don't want to bother re-installing it again, you can direct a re-installation of grub using a live DVD/USB.  To do that, first determine which partition on the drive is your LL root partition, then follow instructions on this page to re-install grub while booted with LL install DVD/USB:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal.  If other OSs don't show on grub menu upon reboot, just boot into LL and run this in a terminal:

I tried the above, and used the instructions in the link, but sadly I couldn't get this to work.  In my dual boot system (LL 2.0 with zorin 9, both are ubuntu 14.04), only zorin showed up on grub screen.  So I mounted LL 2.0 using the Terminal within the live DVD of zorin 9 (and a subsequent attempt with LL live DVD), deleted/removed Grub from LL's sda (i.e. using sudo apt-get remove grub; sudo apt-get purge grub; sudo apt-get autoremove), and then reinstalled it according to your instructions.  This had the effect of grub now showing both distros listed, but when I choose LL it went to the LL's start up screen but hung indefinitely at this screen. A forced restart by pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys produced the same again.  LL 1.0.8 dual boots very smoothly with zorin 9 - no issues whatsoever. By the way I ensured that LL 2 had the bootloader - on my laptop the first distro that is set up carries the flag boot, not the second as you mentioned in point (1) above. If I load LL 2 last, zorin 9 has the boot flag instead.  I tried redirecting the bootloader to LL using Gparted when I set up LL 2 last (instead of first), using the Gparted option to do this, but this didn't work either.

Shall I still send you a screenshot from Gparted or an output from the terminal (i.e. from sudo blkid). It would be great to dual boot LL 2.0 with another distro, instead of using LL 1.0.8 with another distro, as the more up to date LL version is significantly better.  Anyway, hopefully this one can be cracked... thanks for your continued support on this one.

Kind regards
Mike

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

The /home directory(or partition) normally holds user program configuration files in addition to the user's data files.  It is possible that some of those config files may cause conflicts from one distro to the next, even if both distros have same base (Ubuntu for instance).  What I do to get around that potential problem is keep all data files on a separate partition that gets used by all distros and let each distro have their own /home.  By doing that, each distro's home only ends up containing the config files it needs along with links to the data on that separate partition.  It looks and acts like a normal setup, but the data is not physically on that /home.

Here is a tutorial describing how to do that:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=203.0.  When using a separate data partition like that, I don't bother making /home a separate partition -- I just let it reside on the same partition as root.  If you decide to still make /home as a separate partition, just keep in mind that it doesn't need to be very big because it's only holding config files.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 03:30:47 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

Does the upgrade change the appearance or layout of 1.0.8 in any way?

No :)

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 03:29:20 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Many thanks Valtam and Gold Finger for both feedbacks - really helpful.

Valtam, I think your identification of Windows-users-in-transition as the target audience for LL (e.g. people like me!) is a an excellent aim.  My opinion is that those distros that try to satisfy both camps (i.e. both linux-competent & linux-newbie) risk being a bit too 'high-brow' for some of us beginners (me included), especially those without any programming background.  Thankyou also for the link for continued LL 1.0.8 support and the upgrade. Does the upgrade change the appearance or layout of 1.0.8 in any way?

Thankyou Gold Finger, for the instructions on how to dual boot LL 2.0 with another distro. Is it true that, in general, it's inadvisable to have a shared /home partition between the two distros (even if both based on the same release of Ubuntu e.g. 14.04), as the distros may interfere with each other via home with ugrades/updates etc? 

Kind regards
Mike

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

The dual-boot problem only occurs when another OS's grub is in charge of booting computer.  Easiest way to solve the problem is to make sure LL 2.0 is in charge of booting.  You can do that in one of two ways:

1.  Install LL 2.0 last and direct grub bootloader installation to the MBR of the drive (which is normally the default on any installation).

2.  If LL 2.0 is already on system and you don't want to bother re-installing it again, you can direct a re-installation of grub using a live DVD/USB.  To do that, first determine which partition on the drive is your LL root partition, then follow instructions on this page to re-install grub while booted with LL install DVD/USB:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal.  If other OSs don't show on grub menu upon reboot, just boot into LL and run this in a terminal:
sudo update-grub
They'll all be on menu on subsequent boot-ups.

If you need help with any of this, post back with questions and details of your current situation:
-- What's already installed?
-- What is current partition layout?
  • Post a screenshot from GParted and/or
  • Output from these terminal commands:
sudo blkid
sudo parted -l
  • If LL 2.0 is already installed, what partition is its root partition?  (If you know that.)

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:09:19 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Hi Mike, thanks for posting. The whole approach of Linux Lite is geared towards introducing Windows people to linux. With this in mind, everything we do, every decision we make is with the Windows user in mind. I don't know of many distros that focus completely on this group of users, some are purely for linux people whilst others attempt to please both sides. I am passionate about showing people there are alternatives to proprietary operating systems. We are not 'pulling the plug on LL 1.0.8 support' the upgrade procedure is clearly documented https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=645.0

Just wanted to explain things to give you and others a better insight into the Linux Lite project. Cheers :)

Dual Booting LL 2.0 with other Ubuntu (14.04) based distros
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Like a few of you, I have tried to dual boot LL 2.0 with other closely related distros, i.e. based on the Ubuntu 14.04 - when I choose LL 2.0 from the choice presented on the screen at boot-up, I get an error message that says "a filename was expected". In contrast, the previous LL 1.0.8 version does dual boot smoothly with other distros. Apparently, from reading elsewhere on this forum, it appears the problem has arisen from version 2 being adapted to dual boot more smoothly with Windows 7 or XP which has consequently made it incompatible with dual boots with other distros. Personally, I prefer running XP or Win 7 in a virtual machine, rather than dual booting because (1) it's quicker (I don't have to reboot in order to change the OS), and (2) I have been able to share files using a network link between the linux host and the MS Windows guest.

I am a newbie to Linux (post Win XP) though am becoming increasingly familiar with the use of basic command line in the terminal. I wondered if  someone could give myself and other newbies easy step-by-step instructions on how to modify the relevant root files or other files in LL 2.0 so that it is compatible with other Ubuntu 14.04 based distros in a dual boot situation.  Would it be possible to do this before you pull the plug on LL 1.0.8 support in the next few days?  I would be so grateful to anyone able to do this... 

Kind regards
Mike

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section