You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

dual boot windows

Author (Read 4243 times)

Re: dual boot windows
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 12:39:34 AM »

Kevin Perez

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
How easy is it to use Geanny to create new c++ projects? Are there a bunch of hoops to jump through just to get a "Hello World" project completed or does it allow you to do this right from the start?

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 09:22:06 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@Kevin Perez
It is easy to install and use Virtual Box...
You can find it along with Geany in Lite Software...
Geany is an IDE editor. I use it and Atom for some coding I do.

Virtual box in the manual
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#vbox

Other ideas
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#winprogs
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 09:10:47 PM »

Kevin Perez

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Basically, the reason I hope to install windows on this computer, is I am having extensive problems getting my CodeBlocks compiler to work just after downloading it. I don't need to install Windows 10, the nearly impossible way you just mentioned. It would suffice for me to run it on the virtual box. How would you recommend I go about doing this?

My hopeful game plan is:
1. Install Windows 10 on the virtual box.
2. Install Microsoft's free version of c++ IDE.
3. Create a couple of programs to run on Linux Lite, so I can voice edit word processing documents.
It may be necessary to create a bare-bones word processor, which learns how to anticipate my voice as I edit the documents with the sound of my voice.

Would you know of someone willing and able to help me execute even part of this plan?

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 08:33:27 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
If installing LL onto a system with Windows - where LL will be the 2nd installed OS and its own partition.. This is can be done via the Something Else of the installer and selecting the disk (Along Side may recognize the 2nd disk)..

Windows after the fact whether its own disk or partition can get tricky.. Will be tricky.. Not that it can be done, but things like GRUB may need reinstalled; if UEFI ensuring the boot (EFI) partition isn't overwritten by Windows... a couple items that come to mind...
This becomes CLI intense; as I would foresee having to CHROOT to the installed LL from a LL Live environment and rebuilding, hoping.....
Something that is not easily undertaken by those new to Linux, which is the focus of LL...

Most of the time the simplest answer is... Install Windows 1st then install LL.... Else run Windows virtualized like in VirtualBox...
Between LL Help and VB documentation this should be straight forward..

Not saying it cannot be done, I'm sure someone has... I would at the very least backup any data off the system..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 02:54:58 AM »

Kevin Perez

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I second this request. How may I install Windows on its own partition and thereby dual boot with Linux Lite?

dual boot windows
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 08:51:08 AM »

joyletsdj

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
 The help manual has suggested I visit the forum to request help with dual booting windows on another physical drive. I want to dual-boot Windows and Linux Lite, with Linux Lite on its own dedicated physical drive. Thanks

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section