You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dual Boot Linux Lite and Windows 8

Author (Read 14591 times)

Re: Dual Boot Linux Lite and Windows 8
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »

Lend27

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i7-4790K

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVidia GTX760
I have finally got the dvd to boot and the USB, guess how ! 
I REMOVED THE INTERNAL HDD ! Yet upon booting again, no luck !
I keep getting "machine check error"

The UEFI partition on the HDD may be/is the cause of the issue. So i am going to delete the entirety of windows etc... from the HDD and re-purpose it for LinuxLite. Results----> NO GOOD, will not boot dvd or USB again.

Well, after some research I found several posts in Ubuntu and Fedora forums with people having
the exact same issue, NONE resolved ! I have spent several hours on this.......
The "machine check error" could be a GRUB or UEFI issue, or possibly memory being accessed outside
of the UEFI system policy. No actual reason found anywhere.
So after spending several hours on this, waiting for 2.4 and no luck, I give up until LinuxLite supports UEFI.
I just can't spend any more time on this. If someone has a fix please let me know.
Sooner or later UEFI must be supported, seriously guys. All new hardware is using UEFI not BIOS.
Please , Please, get UEFI setup next release..... :-\

I had the exact same issues on my 2 machines.
The only solution I found was to unplug all other drives from the machine, then boot from the install media.
On one of my machines I was able to install from the DVD. One the other machine I installed from the USB.
I also got several types of errors, but I persisted and now have 2 machines running LL 2.4.

We do need UEFI on LL.  I am dual booting on one machine with OSX Mavericks, but I have to boot into each through the bios. Grub wont work to dual boot.

On the other machine I am triple booting OSX Yosemite, Windows 10, and LL.
Clover usually has no problme handing the boot, but with LL it's a no go. Again, I have to hit F12 to enter the bios, then select the OS. Not the easiest way to do it, but not too bad since I am spending most of my time in LL lately.

To the powers that be, please get UEFI working, it wil help you get more people involved in LL.
I love the distro BTW.
I've tried so many others, but I'm sticking with LL. No need to look any further.

Thanks again!

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Today, I had a go at doing an LL2.4 install on a UEFI laptop (Asus G750JS), pre-installed with Win 8.1.  I used Nehal J Wani's extremely helpful youtube video, posted by Jerry in Reply#3 of this thread.  I followed the video to the letter, playing it on an old laptop (pausing the video step-by-step, so that I could follow instructions more easily), installing LL on a new Asus G750JS laptop: legacy (CSM) mode on, fast boot & secure boot turned off during installation. It took me three goes, due mainly to my inexperience, but am delighted to say that the third go resulted in a fully-functioning win8.1/LL2.4 dual-boot with UEFI fully enabled.

One or two things I learned the hard-way today, which I'd like to pass on...
1)  Ubuntu Live Media in UEFI mode (step 5 in Wani's 13 step set-up, listed below his video on Youtube website): when booting from this use Ubuntu 14.10 as this will boot in UEFI mode - version 14.04.2 appears not to do so. 
2) Fetching updates in Ubuntu Live Media: make sure your internet connection is on.  My inexperience made me overlook this on the second attempt (just go to the top right hand side of the live Ubuntu screen to turn this on, before fetching updates). 
3) Booting from DVD: I had quite a few problems with this initially as, frustratingly, 'booting from DVD' did not show as an option under the Firmware Settings (arrived at by pressing F2 key down on restart), which I had to go to for setting the Legacy mode. To see the DVD booting option on your screen,  you need to press down the ESC key (& and keep it pressed down, i.e. not hitting it repeatedly) and this will open up the boot choice, where you just toggle to the DVD option using the arrow keys & hit Enter.

The above laptop has two physical SSD drives: I had hoped to put the  '/'  and  '/home'  partitions on separate drives, but Wani's instructions do not allow for this, either on a single drive or split between two physical drives. Also, my inexperience prevented me from succeeding with this and exploring it further.  Wani's installation is limited to LL as a single  '/'  partition on a single drive.  I'd be grateful for any advice on how I might separate these partitions for Wani's dual-boot system which I've installed: is there a way of transferring '/home' from drive 1 to drive 2?

With the installed SSD system I haven't created a swap area - I've understood from outside this forum that this is correct procedure for SSD set-ups, though would appreciate some confirmation on this from any of you.

Jerry indicates that Nehal J Wani's instructions for win8.1/LL dual booting is for an intermediate linux user.  However, I consider myself more as  a novice, who has learnt much from the advice given here, since moving from WinXP to linux in April2014. Much of what I've learned, and the confidence I have gained with a 'giving it a go' attitude is down to the very friendly and supportive community represented by the LL forum.  Many thanks for that...

Regards
Mike
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:36:42 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 12:54:23 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I bought a new Dell netbook about 9 months ago, and have touchpad issues - as do some of Dell's other recent models. They refuse to resolver the problem, so they're another good one to avoid.

Dell went as far as to recommend I disassemble it (which voids the warranty) and install a screen protector to decrease the sensitivity of the touchpad. Sorry, Dell - I am NOT going to 'ethnically engineer' a $300 computer!

If DVD-Rs are giving you fits, try DVD+Rs, and vice versa. On my ancient Dell C640 laptop, the DVD drive would read CDs just fine, but balked at both DVD-R or DVD+R discs. (Could have been a laser alignment issue, I suppose.)

Fortunately, I had another Dell plug-in DVD drive around here I wasn't using, as the BIOS doesn't boot from USB without Plop. Even then, you must start Plop from CD or floppy...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860

Sooner or later UEFI must be supported, seriously guys. All new hardware is using UEFI not BIOS.

Hi technomancer, I'm almost completely against making UEFI work and I'll explain why. Microsoft has a history of dictating to hardware vendors. This is unethical and limits peoples choices. Just because a software vendor (MS) dominates a market does not give them the right to restrict a person's choice. This is a direct attack on freedom itself. I'm not a MS 'hater' I like technology, and technologically they have produced some useful innovations throughout the years.

If one day we are left with absolutely no choice at all but to submit to MS in the BIOS, then for the sake of getting more people off Windows, I think it will be worth us sacrificing this principle, in an effort to set them free. I'm a realist, but I'm also an optimist. I'm optimistic that people who are thinking of using Linux more and more, will make informed hardware choices, and favour hardware vendors that don't force people into a corner. Freedom must always be the first consideration.

@Jerry- I completely agree with your position and thinking. You are an awesome individual, I wish more people had the same stance.
    The only issue is that few hardware vendors will agree with that position, the loss of sales for them would be devastating. Unfortunately the hardware vendors are a profit driven economy, where as Linux is not. Money talks...I in no way defend that position, but at some point we must all adapt to changing circumstances.Right or wrong, UEFI is on 98% of computers, which will limit LinuxLite ability to get new users/support. I love the hard work and vision that you have with LinuxLite, as long as I have a BIOS computer, LinuxLite will be on them. My hat off to you sir.

@gold_finger- I have tried 2 different brands of DVD's, no luck. I used Unetbootin and Lili to create a  USB, they refuse to boot( tried 5 different brands ) I have tried the same hardware/DVD/USB with Ubuntu and LimuxMint, they both boot, install and run fine.(UEFI a built in feature on the OS) Apparantly from what I have seen in Asus forums their products are getting cheaper/worse as far as compliance with "windows only" hardware. They will not support Linux unless it was what the laptop was originally sold with. I am a certified Dell tech, maybe back to Dell ? They are just as bad, if not worse. However the hardware is easier to deal with I have found.
If I ever get it working(will try in a couple months again) I will post my results here. For now I need to concentrate on other matters.

Thank you for the suggestions and help, this community is the best I have ever been a part of. Thank you very much BOTH of you.
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 05:52:53 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Well, after some research I found several posts in Ubuntu and Fedora forums with people having

I just can't spend any more time on this.

Last few ideas:
  • Believe it or not, I've seen times where the brand of DVD makes a difference on certain computers.  If possible, try a different brand DVD.
  • If you haven't already done so, try a live USB instead.  Sometimes computer will have problem booting one medium, but will boot the other.
  • Check to see if there is an update for the UEFI firmware on the Asus website.  Sounds to me like their implementation of UEFI firmware is the main cause of the problem.  Most other computer brands don't have this kind of problem booting something in Legacy mode from what I've seen.  Maybe an update came out that will fix the boot problem.
  • If all else fails, call Asus tech support.  If they can't/won't help, tell them you'll never buy their brand again.
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by this from Asus.  Company has a generally good reputation with their computers and parts.  Will certainly make me think twice about buying their components anymore.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 12:46:11 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

Hi technomancer, I'm almost completely against making UEFI work and I'll explain why. Microsoft has a history of dictating to hardware vendors. This is unethical and limits peoples choices. Just because a software vendor (MS) dominates a market does not give them the right to restrict a person's choice. This is a direct attack on freedom itself. I'm not a MS 'hater' I like technology, and technologically they have produced some useful innovations throughout the years.

If one day we are left with absolutely no choice at all but to submit to MS in the BIOS, then for the sake of getting more people off Windows, I think it will be worth us sacrificing this principle, in an effort to set them free. I'm a realist, but I'm also an optimist. I'm optimistic that people who are thinking of using Linux more and more, will make informed hardware choices, and favour hardware vendors that don't force people into a corner. Freedom must always be the first consideration.

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 11:19:08 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

I have finally got the dvd to boot and the USB, guess how ! 
I REMOVED THE INTERNAL HDD ! Yet upon booting again, no luck !
I keep getting "machine check error"

The UEFI partition on the HDD may be/is the cause of the issue. So i am going to delete the entirety of windows etc... from the HDD and re-purpose it for LinuxLite. Results----> NO GOOD, will not boot dvd or USB again.

The "machine check error" could be a GRUB or UEFI issue, or possibly memory being accessed outside
of the UEFI system policy. No actual reason found anywhere.
So after spending several hours on this, waiting for 2.4 and no luck, I give up until LinuxLite supports UEFI.
I just can't spend any more time on this. If someone has a fix please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:00:35 AM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

GOOD NEWS  ;D <------- SEE BELOW
I managed to get the DVD to boot !

I disabled just about every option in the BIOS and it booted without issues. Wifi connected, and I am online.
I am going to enable things one by one and post what causes the "machine error"/no boot situation. 8)

UPDATE-->  I was able to boot 1 time, after shutdown and re-boot, I enabled VT-d, I get->"machine error"

I did a checksum on the download and it's good. The dvd boots just fine on every other computer I have.

Strangest thing is I checked all the settings and it won't boot again. I disabled everything again and the computer refuses to boot the DVD again, push the eject button and it boots fine.  Seems as if something is stuck in memory, I am still trying every angle.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:27:55 PM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 02:48:45 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes I have Ubuntu installed(linuxmint) in uefi mode, no issues at all.
when i boot from the usb, i get a prompt in left top corner, just blinks. let it go overnight, no change. i choose "sandisk" and it just re-boots.
when i boot from the dvd i get "machine error" in large font. then it just re-boots itself, but never gets into
the boot menu, just hangs. cant get into bios. the funny thing is that if i push the eject button on the dvd it starts to boot up and works fine.
Any ideas ?

Sorry -- I'm stumped.  Don't know what the problem might be.  You may have to wait a bit longer until LL supports UEFI installations before you can install to that laptop.  (Not sure when that will be.  Maybe the next version?)

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

Yes I have Ubuntu installed(linuxmint) in uefi mode, no issues at all.
when i boot from the usb, i get a prompt in left top corner, just blinks. let it go overnight, no change. i choose "sandisk" and it just re-boots.
when i boot from the dvd i get "machine error" in large font. then it just re-boots itself, but never gets into
the boot menu, just hangs. cant get into bios. the funny thing is that if i push the eject button on the dvd it starts to boot up and works fine.
Any ideas ? I appreciate the help ALOT. i just spent $1100 on this laptop and want LL on it. I wonder if its a code in the preliminary boot code of LL causing a hardware misconfiguration ? I will try disabling serial port, sound, ethernet, usb. unable to disable nvidia card.
Member www.eff.org

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 02:35:22 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

We'll just keep going on this thread -- don't worry about starting a new one.  Looks like OP abandoned it.

After I reboot, the laptop just hangs up and wont go into BIOS.. Any ideas ?

If you're saying the laptop won't boot at all now (not even into Windows), then I'm not sure what happened.  Shot in the dark:
  • Unplug from wall outlet if it's plugged in
  • Take battery out
  • Push and hold power button for 15-20 seconds
  • Put battery back in and plug into wall if battery isn't charged
  • Try turning on again and see if error got cleared.
Regarding your pictures, the very first one seems to show the per session boot menu.  (That should be the menu you need to use.)  On that, I would guess that the third entry down (one that says just "Sandisk") is the one you want to use.  I believe that should be the Legacy boot option for the USB because the sixth entry down specifically says it's the UEFI option for it.  I have a feeling you probably figured that yourself and tried it with no luck, but if you didn't -- try that entry.

The fifth picture looks to be of the boot menu for normal booting of computer every time vs. the per session boot menu (used for one time changes to booting).  So, I don't think you need to mess with that page at all.

Honestly, I'm at a loss if that third entry down on first pick doesn't work.  You've disabled Secure Boot and CSM is enabled, so it looks correct.  I don't know why it's not working for you.  (Don't know why DVD isn't working either.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.)

Noticed that you have a Ubuntu entry in pic #5.  Do you have that installed to system in UEFI mode?  Did you have any problems with booting that USB/DVD?

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

4-1-2015   I made a 8GB sandisk usb with unetbootin. LL 2.4.
I have the following pics of my current BIOS setup, will NOT boot. Asus GL551JM-DH71.

I have made a DVD, burned using UltraIso, When i try to boot this happens

After I reboot, the laptop just hangs up and wont go into BIOS.. Any ideas ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:08:07 PM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Try getting machine to boot from the live DVD/USB first.  If you can get that far, then we'll worry about whether or not to start a new post.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20:56 AM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

I can post another topic if you wish, just seems this is in the same wheel house of issues as EUFI/dual booting.
Member www.eff.org

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hey technomancer,

I don't know if the OP is still with us or not.  Don't really want to have this thread vier off on to you and your machine, but just for the heck of it let's see if we can at least figure out how to get your live DVD/USB booted.  If we can do that, then maybe we can move further posts to finish the install to their own thread.

You'll need to boot the live LL DVD/USB in BIOS/Legacy mode because that is the only mode it will boot in (no support for UEFI on LL).  Make sure you have both Fast Startup and Secure Boot disabled and do a full shutdown of Windows 8 before attempting to boot LL.  Load the DVD (or plug in the USB) before powering on.  From what I've seen on forums, for Asus machines you need to slowly and repeatedly tap either the <ESC> key or the <DEL> key during intial post (immediately after powering on) in order to bring up the Boot Menu.  (This is not the same Boot Menu as is found within the main UEFI Settings.  It's a separate boot menu that controls booting only for that particular boot session.)

If you can get to the Boot Menu, there should be a choice for UEFI booting and another for non-UEFI (don't know what exact wording will be).  Choose non-UEFI option and that should let you boot the LL system.

Let us know what happens when you try this and/or how far you got.  Maybe take digital photo if necessary to show us where it gets stuck.  If you can at least get booted, we can probably get it installed.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section