You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dual Boot Issue

Author (Read 2943 times)

Dual Boot Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »

Azoic

Hi Guys,

I hope someone here can help with this issue. I won't bore anyone with all the details, suffice to say what WAS working now isn't. And i don't know what i did last time to fix it...it was about 12 months ago and i've forgotten.

I have linuxlite on one HDD, and 2 other HDD's in the PC. On the 3rd HDD i have images of all versions of windows from XP and Server 2003/2008/2012 right up to Win10, and can install any of them anytime i like. This is NO PROBLEM.

Issue is this.....if i unplug the linux HDD and boot, i currently go straight to Win 7 Ultimate and all is good. Upon 1st (1 stone = 6.35 kg) boot, the grub screen shows current headers and so on, and lite was running fine yesterday. I had the PC set as lite on HDD 1 and XP on Part 1 of HDD 2 ( HDD 3 is Storage ONLY.)
This was fine, and the XP install is showing up in GRUB OK.

Now, partition 1 of HDD 2 is Win 7, and HDD 1 is still lite. If i unplug the power to HDD 1, and reboot, Win 7 loads fine and runs all day without issue. If i try to boot into lite, it loads to the point of the splash screen and hangs after the loading bar is full. It wont go into the log on /password screen. This was after i updated , and i think i may have killed  the install by overlaying packages for v2 on v1.0 something...is this a possibility ? and would removing latest package updates fix it ? If this is possibly a fix, can someone let me know how to do this please.

The one thing i have seen in trying to get it working was a screen that said something along the lines of broken packages, and that i should run fsck manually. I rebooted to a live cd and ran gparted, and fsck found some errors, and fixed them, but it still hangs at the same load point.
This setup was working fine, but changing from XP to Win 7 stuffed everything up. Can someone help with this issue. I DO NOT want to upgrade lite to v2 as it has now become as bloated with crap as the windows shite i want to get away from. As v1 it is a beautiful OS and i want it to stay as it was and is on my HDD.

***** EDIT *****
BOOT ISSUE FIXED USING BOOT REPAIR CD.

All i need to do now is get the grub loader screen to lose the windows xp and add win 7, and i have to do it the hard way, so i can do it again if this PC becomes something else on the windows side. So any help editing grub correctly would be appreciated.

***** EDIT *****
GRUB ISSUE FIXED

:o :o :o I'm rustier than i thought.......i FORGOT to run grub update after changing xp to win7....... :o :o :o

All's working fine now.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:11:15 AM by Azoic »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section