You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

On 4.0 install Partitions don't match help manual

Author (Read 6098 times)

Re: On 4.0 install Partitions don't match help manual
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Yes, I'm glad I took the plunge, though in this case there was a great deal of work involved, not least re-organizing my files and folders. Merging photos folders alone (backups, copies of backups, backups of copies of ....) allows 140gb of duplicates to be deleted!

Having passed the anxieties involved, I have to say doing my same daily computer stuff on Lite 4.2 is far more pleasant. And an added bonus of more than 180gb of Windows "System"/spyware no longer there, ie another 180gb plus of free space (not counting the deleted photos above).

The major lesson learned - for the LL target audience like me, competent but not a linux-informed, it will not always be possible to Dual Boot, ie to simply shrink the Windows partition to allow unallocated space for a Linux partition alongside. This is due to Windows placing un-movable system files near to the partition end.

(There are complex potential work-arounds if you have the time and patience...)
SN.  I hope my reply has been useful - click Thank on the left.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@Searchernow
Took the plunge and probably happier for it :)

I've only barely used CAD based and that was on Winders a long time ago... Mostly for screw around and way back in school...

There are CAD applications for Linux :)  == hhhhmmm maybe I'll have to look at too..

https://itsfoss.com/cad-software-linux/

If you find a good one I'd be interested to hear...

And:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEngineering#CAD
http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/08/8-best-cad-apps-for-linux.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:34:58 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 03:34:30 PM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Having revised my plans, I decided to load LL4 to the full Windows partition sda2, and left the Win7 Recovery partition sda3 in place, in case I ever need a Win7 pc for Windows based CAD programs. At present I have a suitable other Win7 pc for CAD.

So it's all resolved, I have Linux Lite 4.2 running on that laptop. And I notice the vast amount of extra free space - Windows OS (and whatever else they put in there!!) took over 200Gb, with LL4 it seems to be less than about 1/8 of that, and much faster!

Any problems I encountered above were due to Windows partition problems, and NOT any fault of Linux Lite.

Thanks for your help.

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks, I do appreciate your efforts, but that link shows what looks to me like a black magic minefield. i accept you can manage it, but I'm not going there.

The manual does say the min drive size is 8gb, or preferably 20gb.  Looking at this install (LL 4.2 which I'm using now) I can't imagine it fitting even into 20gb! But surely the manual is right.

-----

Another way to shrink the C (sda2) is via the live iso using gParted. I did a dry run on the other computer and it says it could have freed up about 45GB. But is this safe, ie I do want to still use the Win7 partition? Maybe it will just over-write the unmovable system files and cause Win7 to malfunction?

Note: Windows says 109GB free, gParted shows 49GB, so maybe it is avoiding the unmovable files??
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:39:19 PM by Searchernow »

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

In Windows 7 I cannot shrink /C partition (more than 600mb) as there are files which cannot be moved by defrag. There may be complex work-arounds but I'm not going there now.

I feel for my purposes that the 12gb available on that computer's Recovery partition would be enough.
But! - it shows 1% fragmented, and the defrag will not work on it. A look on Windows 10 Forums suggests Recovery partition cannot be defragged.

Question: Can I install LL 4. to this partition, or will the 1% fragmentation make it a no-no?

Edit:  Or I could re-format that partition to ext4 using gparted in the live iso??  Then I could install there...?

Installing to the recovery will format it, ext4 for "/" is advisable...

I gave my Win10 box a quick attempt at a shrink, same kinda of error/message.. And to my expectations a semi easy fix..
https://www.disk-partition.com/articles/shrink-volume-with-unmovable-files-4348.html
I only attempted the 1st 4 items under manually disable. For What its Worth... And went from 600+mb to 90+ Gb...

Not saying you cant run LL on the 12gb partition, but your looking at 10 for "/" and  2 for swap give or take 1024 vs 1...

I know you mentioned having a copy/back up...
Regardless of how you decide... It never hurts to have a backup/copy etc.. I like a copy of my files somewhere and a backup/restore until I'm sure...

**Update** If you haven't running a "Disk Cleanup" and cleaning system files can give back gobs of space if you haven't run, sometimes 10's of GB's...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:03:39 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

In Windows 7 I cannot shrink /C partition (more than 600mb) as there are files which cannot be moved by defrag. There may be complex work-arounds but I'm not going there now.

I feel for my purposes that the 12gb available on that computer's Recovery partition would be enough.
But! - it shows 1% fragmented, and the defrag will not work on it. A look on Windows 10 Forums suggests Recovery partition cannot be defragged.

Question: Can I install LL 4. to this partition, or will the 1% fragmentation make it a no-no?

Edit:  Or I could re-format that partition to ext4 using gparted in the live iso??  Then I could install there...?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:23:12 PM by Searchernow »

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 08:24:19 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for your assistance - I think my main mistake was to try this install while I've not enough time or headspace! I suppose I thought it'd be simpler.

I'll leave things as they are for now, then later when I've time I'll take a deeper look and report back here.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 07:39:37 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You can use the recover part.. and the C part to be 50... When you delete the recovery partition it will go away to unallocated... You're using the spacing as well as the taking some of the C after the shrink. this will go to unallocated... then you will have create a partition and install in this newly allocated (+a swap). Your not extending this partition, its now a new - although it could be represented as sda3...  :)    it should also now be at the end of the disk.
I may have skimmed over this piece...

You'll need to delete that partition, more so than reformatting - either way this info will be gone. The shrinking of Windows is in the manual.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 06:44:45 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

the reason I've given the Windows info is that's what Jerry asked for.

I'm hoping there'll be a simpler solution - LL is aimed at people like me, ie coming over from Windows, I hope it is possible to increase the Recovery (sd3) using spare "C" space. I have decided to install on that Recovery (sd3) partition.

Last year when I first installed dual boot, on my Dell, the installer (after choosing Something Else) created/offered sd4/ext .  Seems that install option is not the same now, at least not on the HP I'm hoping to use for dual boot.

I'll wait to see if Jerry has a simpler suggestion, I find all that a head-wrecker. Maybe I'm getting old, or too tired, but I can't see why it's harder now than last year.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 10:50:21 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

here are the partitions shown in Windows Disk Management:
3 Volumes in the following order:
Vol. = [no name];     File System = [not given]; Status = Healthy (Recovery Partition);                   Capacity = 11.72gb; Free Space = 11.72gb;   % free = 100%
Vol. = System;         File System = NTFS;       Status = Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition); Capacity =  350mb; Free Space = 296mb;  % free = 85%
Vol. = Windows (C); File System = NTFS;    Status = Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition); Capacity =  286gb; Free Space = 105gb;  % free = 37%
in all 3 partitions:   Layout = simple ;  Type = Basic  ;   Fault Tol. = No  ;  Overhead = 0%
I want to use 80GB for LL 4.0 in the (Recovery Partition) /sd3 ; there is 105GB free space available. How do I enlarge sd3?
@Searchernow

Some info that may help: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/adding-unallocated-space-to-ll-partition/msg44049/#msg44049

But to start... You're showing Windows vs LL sdx info, so not 100% where on the disk these are arranged (the link above will explain)
The Recovery is only 12GB (sda3?) then a 350mb (prob boot) and 286GB C:

You're best bet... Clean up C: (though you could get by) then in Windows Shrink the volume, and use space from this partition leaving the others alone.
Currently 105gb free = allows for 50 for LL 50 for Windows to grow and +\- 5 for swap as is...

If you dead set on using the recovery you'll still need to Shrink C and use  40gb from it + the 12 from recovery to have the 50 you want..
BUT recovery will need to be at the end of the disk - which it usually is not. If its at the front, I'm not sure you'll be able to rearrange to make use of it, unless you remove it and make use of it for swap.

Hope the info helps...

*** Update - didn't realize the link was in response to you as well LOL  ;D
But I think you're on the path  8)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:04:50 PM by firenice03 »

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 03:02:19 PM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

here are the partitions shown in Windows Disk Management:

3 Volumes in the following order:

Vol. = [no name];     File System = [not given]; Status = Healthy (Recovery Partition);                   Capacity = 11.72gb; Free Space = 11.72gb;   % free = 100%

Vol. = System;         File System = NTFS;       Status = Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition); Capacity =  350mb; Free Space = 296mb;  % free = 85%

Vol. = Windows (C); File System = NTFS;    Status = Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition); Capacity =  286gb; Free Space = 105gb;  % free = 37%

in all 3 partitions:   Layout = simple ;  Type = Basic  ;   Fault Tol. = No  ;  Overhead = 0%

I want to use 80GB for LL 4.0 in the (Recovery Partition) /sd3 ; there is 105GB free space available. How do I enlarge sd3?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:19:33 PM by Searchernow »

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 10:50:43 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Where does it say Imgur is insecure? If you are against using it please use something similar, help us to help you.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

I cannot find where I first saw doubts about Imgur's privacy, but the following may be of interest  https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/8q9s1h/imgur_and_your_privacy_the_true_insanity_revealed/   

I'm not saying just because some posters on Reddit said it ....etc., but personally there's enough for me not to use Imgur. I don't criticize others using it, and I never complain if I can't see posted images on the forum. It's ok.
Another factor is that Firefox detects tracking and blocks the images, I don't want to be tracked, as far as possible.

As regards "use something similar" - I don't use cloud sharing and all that, so I'm the last person to ask for advice there. However today's search turned up https://www.theverge.com/2016/5/26/11782608/reddit-imgur-image-upload-beta  which might be useful. But don't change anything on my account, you've enough to do. I'm happy.

I will type out the partition data line by line and no doubt that'll be enough.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Where does it say Imgur is insecure? If you are against using it please use something similar, help us to help you.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:22:48 AM »

Searchernow

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

thanks,

I've taken note re attachments. As regards Imgur, it is said to be insecure, and in fact my Firefox blocks its images - I never see your images posted in release announcements, for example, but if that's the price for privacy I'm ok with it.

I think when I get time I'll type out what I see on the Win Disk Management, that should do it.

It's curious though, last year on this dell I was offered (for dual boot) a new partition something like /ext4 with a sizing option - I got this 3 times, 2 previous distros and LL. Anyway, I'm not complaining, things change, and I am greatly impressed with LL 4.2 here on this dell.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

See Posting Guidelines for inserting images, under Introductions section.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section