You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dell Optiplex 740 fails to load Linux Lite

Author (Read 12101 times)

Re: Dell Optiplex 740 fails to load Linux Lite
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:21:44 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Nice one :)

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »

Norm

Sorry for the long delay but I finally got around to updating the Bios. Hey presto! Linux Lite installed like a dream!!!

Thank you all for your patience and guidance.

I now have LL installed on 3 machines and i hope to be installing it on some older laptops in September when I return to UK.

Thanks again for all the help.

Norm

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 06:18:11 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
The first place I would start is with a BIOS update - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/optiplex-740/drivers then try again. The one you have listed is severely out of date. It may not be the cure, but I recently got given a HP a1320a ancient desktop, LL refused to install, updated BIOs - WAMMO, installed without a hitch. How are you loading Linux Lite onto a USB, what method and software do you use to do that?

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 05:07:20 AM »

Norm

Oh! Sorry for not replying sooner. Yes checksum was fine. I also tried the 32 bit version of LL as you suggested with the same result! All the other distros were 64 bit.

Anyway I have left Lubuntu on this machine. I do like the crispness of LL though.

Cheers

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Sorry to here that Norm, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense.  LL and the others use the same Ubuntu base, so they should all work or all not work.

Were the others 32-bit or 64-bit?  Or some of each and either version seemed to work?

If working ones happened to be 32-bit and LL version was not, try the 32-bit version of LL.

Lastly, I'll ask one more time -- Did you confirm that the downloaded LL ISO file was not corrupted by running an 'md5sum' check on it? From what you've said, my best guess is the ISO file is no good and you need to re-download another one and make a new DVD/USB from that.

If you did confirm that the 'md5sum' is good, then I don't know what the problem is.  Maybe there is some kind of change done to the LL version that causes the problem -- I don't know.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:34:24 AM »

Norm

As an update, I downloaded all the other popular ubuntu distros. Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, and xubuntu. I made live cd's and they all loaded fine so I can only assume the issue is somehow with LL. 

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well, I've done a few searches using this search engine on both your graphics card and 'boot problems on Dell Optiplex 740'.  Looks like your Optiplex model has given plenty of others problems before too.  From what I've seen so far, looks like for some reason 32-bit versions boot and run without many issues.  64-bit versions give people headaches.  Try downloading and using the 32-bit version of LL and see if that solves your problem.

You could also try booting your current 64-bit version and hit the <Space> bar when the LL splash screen first starts.  Then pick the choice to boot in 'Safe Mode' and see if that makes any difference.

If no luck, use the search engine listed above to try finding more solutions while waiting for replies here.  I will be logging out and won't be able to check back for a while; but others may be able to continue on from here if the 32-bit version does not solve problem.

Good luck.  Be back to check on thread later in the day.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »

Norm

Code: [Select]
System:    Host: ubuntu Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic-pae i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.6.3)
           Desktop: Unity 5.10.0 (Gtk 3.4.1-0ubuntu1)
           Distro: Ubuntu 12.04 precise
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 740
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HX340 v: A01
           Bios: Dell v: 2.0.12 date: 01/22/2008
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 4008
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1000 MHz 2: 1000 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] ATI RV515 [Radeon X1300]
           bus-ID: 03:00.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 80x24
Audio:     Card NVIDIA MCP51 High Definition Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:10.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
           driver: tg3 v: 3.121 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD800JD size: 80.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 2.0G used: 90M (5%) fs: overlayfs dev: N/A
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 33 min Memory: 317.1/4026.5MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.241) inxi: 2.1.28

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You're not 'being dumb' Norm.

I thought Ubuntu came with the inxi program pre-installed on it, but apparently I was wrong.  That's not a big deal.  It's easy to install to the live DVD.

Boot an Ubuntu DVD again, open a terminal and enter these commands one at a time - hit enter after each.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:unit193/inxi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install inxi
inxi -Fxz

Basically, those commands add the PPA for the program to the system, then update the list of packages available for install to include packages from the new PPA, then installs 'inxi' program, then runs it.  The program will give a nicely formatted look at all of your hardware specs for the computer.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 12:56:24 PM »

Norm

Sorry I am being dumb I know but whenever i try to type in what you said in your post in Terminal I get command not found. (Yes I know its me!!)

I tried it also in Ubuntu 12.10 and unsurprizingly got the same result.

Guess I am just Terminalphobic!

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »

Norm

Whoah! You mentioned the T word! lol

OK I will try my best and let you know if I can work out what you just told me to do!!!!

Thanks again

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Norm,
If these are the specs of the Optiplex, I highly doubt there should be any problem with it being too old.
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 Ghz
Ram 4.00 GB

That is plenty good enough to run LL, or many other distros for that matter.  Something else is causing the issue.  Did you check the 'md5sum' of the ISO file to see that it matched the one shown on the download page?  If yes, can you boot from the Ubuntu disk you spoke of and run the following command in a terminal:
inxi -Fxz
Copy the entire output of the command and paste it back here for us to look at.  Follow directions shown on this post for pasting the output between 'code blocks':  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=487.0.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:12:49 PM »

Norm

Further,

both the latest version of puppy slacko loaded from usb and ubuntu ver 11.0 loaded from dvd without any problem.........

scratches head!!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »

Norm

Hello Gold Finger and thanks for the response. No it never got past the failed boot stage. I did try with a DVD as well and got the same result so i presume it is something to do with my old computer rather than the usb or dvd. I just have no clue what to do about it!  I may try a pendrive with puppy linux and a dvd with ubuntu to see if they are accepted at boot. I will post back here with the results. Thanks again.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi Norm,

Welcome to LL.

Were you able to boot and use the USB in 'live' mode on the Optiplex and it just didn't run the installer correctly; or did it not boot properly at all?

I know you said you used the USB without issue on another machine.  What method did you use to create the live USB?  It is possible that one computer is fine with the USB produced as it is and another is not.  Have seen that plenty of times in forums.  (Don't know why that happens, but it does.)  In those cases, sometimes all that is needed is to either make the USB using a different method, or make a bootable DVD instead.  If you have a spare, blank DVD to use, that will probably be the quickest and easiest alternative.

If you burn it from a Windows computer, see the 'Install Guide' page of the Help Manual for guidance if needed.  Double-check the 'md5sum' of the ISO file before burning and make sure the number matches the one shown on the download page.

If you have the ISO file on a Linux computer and need guidance for checking md5sum and burning let us know.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section