Software - Support > Installing Linux Lite

Dell Media Direct and Linux

(1/3) > >>

N4RPS:
Hello!

Sure. I ran Linux for a long time off 16GB SD cards before I actually started carving up Windows hard drives to accommodate it. Performance takes a small hit, but it's a LOT better than trying to run 'em from Live CDs.

I see your point about Dell Media Direct. Most likely, it will no longer work if you change the partitioning structure of your hard drive in any way...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

br1anstorm:
Just thought I'd post a final (?) update on this thread.

My original question was how to reconcile the installation of Linux with the presence on my laptop's hard drive not only of Windows XP but also of this Dell-specific Media Direct partition.

The discussion has been brilliant, because it has led me to realise that dual-booting isn't the only option.  Not only has it been possible to run Live sessions from CD/DVD and from USB stick, but gold_finger's comments and advice about  actually installing a Linux OS on to a USB stick have persuaded me to go down that route first. 

I plan to put either Lite or LXLE (Lubuntu) on to one 32GB USB stick - to run on my older laptop;  and Zorin on to another USB stick to run on my regular laptop.

I'm still hanging on to Zorin because - as Rob (N4RPS) observed - it is possible to install the Broadcom wifi drivers into Zorin and in fact I have done so with the help of the good people on the Zorin OS forum.

I will almost certainly have more questions about the actual process of installing on to a USB stick (discussed above with gold-finger).  But it seems to make sense to pursue any further questions about that by starting a separate thread - so that's what I'll do when the time comes. 

Meanwhile, huge thanks to those who have been so generous with time and advice in responding on this thread.  I think I like this new Linux world!

N4RPS:
Hello!

If there an Ubuntu-based distro you REALLY LIKE, don't let not having Broadcom support stop you. It's not difficult at all to add Broadcom support if you can use a wired connection, or an adapter natively supported in the kernel, to fetch the Broadcom drivers from the repostories.

I've posted this elsewhere on here, but Broadcom support can't be included on the Live CD because the firmware is different for each model of Broadcom adapter, and Broadcom's drivers are proprietary. Despite this, some distros include the proprietary code anyway, and Broadcom just hasn't called them on it yet...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

gold_finger:

--- Quote from: br1anstorm on April 22, 2014, 06:08:04 PM ---Just one question of detail (I'm still on the learning curve...).  I think I understand the advice on not creating both a root and a home partition as well as a swap one on a USB stick, partly because of space-constraints.  But that aside, what is the reasoning for having a root and a home separately?  Is that equivalent to having a "system" partition (for the OS) and a "data" partition (for your files/documents) in Windows-speak - or is it more complicated than that?
--- End quote ---

Yes, the separate root and home partitions is along same lines as having a "system" and "data" partition in Windows.  In Linux, your home directory is normally where all of your data files end up (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.).  Also in that directory are the user configuration files for various software packages ("programs" in Windows speak) that you use.

Main advantage to having the data and config files separated from root is that it makes re-installations and upgrades easier.  If, for example, your system gets messed up and you can't figure out how to fix it, you can simply re-install the system and be back up and running within 30-45 minutes.  Essentially you're just assigning the same mount points to each partition, but telling the installer to only re-format the root partition.  Everything on the /home partition remains untouched and ready to use again.

My reasons for recommending just a root and swap partition:

1.  Unless you're using something larger than 16GB, it's just easier to not have to guess at a sufficient size for root.  Too big and you lose data saving space.  Too small and you may run out of room for critical system files.  With a single root partition that also contains /home you don't need to worry about that -- the system will use what it needs and rest will be available for storage until you fill the whole thing up.

2.  It's easier for newcomers and you're likely going to just use the USB for a relatively short period of time.  You'll probably install to the hard drive once you feel more comfortable with Linux and that would be a better time to consider other partitioning options.

3.  A whole lot of people (new and experienced) just go with a root and swap partition.  As long as you keep backup copies (as you should under any scenario) of your important files, it's really not that big of a deal to just copy them back on to an installation vs. having them separated on a /home partition.  (I happen to prefer keeping things separated, but it is by no means a requirement to do so.)

--- Quote from: br1anstorm on April 22, 2014, 06:08:04 PM ---Maybe it's subjective, but I think the responses are quicker from the USB flash drive than from the CD/DVD drive spinning up and down.
--- End quote ---

It's not your imagination.  A live USB is definitely faster than a live DVD.  The performance of the "live" USB will be very similar to the performance of a fully installed system to the USB -- there won't be as noticeable a difference between the two.  A hard drive installation will be noticeably faster than the USB.

--- Quote from: br1anstorm on April 22, 2014, 06:08:04 PM ---I'm still trying out my shortlist of Linux OS distros.  Linux Lite heads the list because it's fairly "light", so good for slightly older laptops like mine.  The other one I have been trying out is Zorin.  But I found that neither worked on my older (Dell Inspiron 8600) laptop whose CPU does not have "pae".  So the third one on test is LXLE (a Lubuntu variant) which works without needing "pae".
--- End quote ---

Here are four others that I believe will work and that you may want to try on that old Dell:

Mint 13 Xfce (32-bit)  (If you decide to install this one to the old Dell, read this first -- Mint 13 Specific Install Tips.)

Zorin OS Lite 6.2 (32-bit)

Peppermint OS (32-bit)

Lastly, if all of the above are too sluggish, try this:  AntiX.

EDIT:  Just saw your other post about PAE, which I forgot you had going at the same time as this one.  If you're happy with LXLE and don't want to bother with testing other distros I just listed, that's fine.  Don't feel obligated to do so.

br1anstorm:
That advice is - to coin a phrase -  pure gold.  So clear and precise that even a foolish newcomer like me can follow it!

Just one question of detail (I'm still on the learning curve...).  I think I understand the advice on not creating both a root and a home partition as well as a swap one on a USB stick, partly because of space-constraints.  But that aside, what is the reasoning for having a root and a home separately?  Is that equivalent to having a "system" partition (for the OS) and a "data" partition (for your files/documents) in Windows-speak - or is it more complicated than that?

Thus far I have shifted from running Live sessions from CD/DVD to running (some) Live sessions from a USB stick on to which I copied the .iso image.  Maybe it's subjective, but I think the responses are quicker from the USB flash drive than from the CD/DVD drive spinning up and down.  In terms of BIOS and boot options, both my Dell laptops on startup offer F2 to get into the BIOS Settings for a 'permanent' change to boot order, or F12 for the Boot Menu to choose each time where to boot from.

I'm still trying out my shortlist of Linux OS distros.  Linux Lite heads the list because it's fairly "light", so good for slightly older laptops like mine.  The other one I have been trying out is Zorin.  But I found that neither worked on my older (Dell Inspiron 8600) laptop whose CPU does not have "pae".  So the third one on test is LXLE (a Lubuntu variant) which works without needing "pae".

Have just found that while Lite and LXLE play happily with both wired and wireless connections, Zorin won't connect wirelessly because it doesn't like the Broadcom wireless device, or its driver.  So I may - with some regret - have to abandon Zorin.  Looks like I may end up running Lite on my main laptop from a USB stick, and LXLE on my old one.

Onward we go!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version