You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

( SOLVED ) Deleting Partition

Author (Read 18958 times)

Re: ( SOLVED ) Deleting Partition
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

For future reference, Boot Repair would have probably fixed that. Read my reply here:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/start-up-and-shutdown/grub-rescue/msg18724/#msg18724

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 03:17:06 PM »

oxo42

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Centrino 2.26GHZ

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 915GM x 86 (open GL) Laptop
Hi Torreydale

Sound advice and taken onboard / I,ve now sorted the key board problem / will search archive for solutions to other problems / since the original problem no longer exists I will mark as solved.
                           Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 03:01:25 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Glad to hear you made some progress.  You might want to investigate using Virtualbox to install Windows in a virtual machine.  Then you can still put that Windows license to use without having to dual boot.

On your follow up issues, some or all of these things have been addressed elsewhere in the forum.  Give the forum a quick search.  If you don't see a similar thread with an answer, then make separate posts for these subsequent issues.  Someone might have an answer (for example to your keyboard, keyring, or wifi adapter issue), but they may never see it because this post began talking about deleting partitions.

I'm pretty sure our UK brethren have seen your English UK keyboard issue before, but again, they might not see that you're needing help on this because of the title of this thread.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:03:28 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 02:09:27 PM »

oxo42

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi all   
    Thanks for the suggestions I decided to take a chance and boot from a live DVD / It installed and I am now running L.Lite 2.6 / but I have lost my windows installation /  and the partitions it was on have been used by Linux /  plus I have lost about 4GB of disk space.
During setup there was no option to install alongside Windows and there was no option to choose partition sizes so all in all it could have been a lot worse / at least i've got a running Linux system.

Now there is a downside to all this
Problems with some keys on the keyboard not funtioning properly ie:- showing wrong characters / also a keyring password window keeps poping up asking for a password ? 

It says  "an application wants access to the keyring "Default Keyring" but it is locked". ( any ideas on this)
Also I have to  manually connect to the Wi-Fi on every bootup.
I have tried to change keyboard language to English UK but it reverts back to English US / there must be a way to do this i'm sure.
any way it,s on and running / albeit not very good at the moment /  needs a bit of work / any ideas.

Thanks for your support.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 04:30:55 PM by oxo42 »

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

It sounds like you originally set up your dual boot using the Install alongside Windows option.  So when you deleted the Linux partitions within Windows, the Linux boot handler/manager was deleted as well. 

I don't think Windows Disk Manager allows you to remove the Windows system partition.  If that is the case, then your Windows installation should still be there.  You just can't select it now because there is no boot selector/handler/manager. 

If all of the above is true, then what firenice03 said is good advice.  Boot to the Linux Lite 2.6 Live Media and go through the install process.  Hopefully you'll see the Install Alongside Windows option.  Take that option, if it's there, and proceed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:18:02 AM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I'm still new with Linux myself, my first thoughts; use a Live USB to boot into Linux Lite and either....
  • Attempt an install, choosing the run along side Windows option.
    - If the Live USB still sees the original partition and install to it.. Assuming Grub would be updated..
  • May have to use to gparted within the Live USB to recreate the partition and ??...

Give it a few there are some great folks on here that much more knowledgeable than I...

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »

oxo42

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi   I have deleted Linux partitions from within Windows / but I have made a mess of it.
When I boot up now I get a screen showing this message:-
                          error:  no such partitions.
                          grub rescue>
The curser is blinking / awaiting some input /  but I am completely lost I cant even boot into Windows.
As holes go I have dug my self into a deep one /  I am new to LINUX and everything is a learning curve at the moment.
I really need to FORMAT the disk and start again / or is there an easier way.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:15:56 AM by oxo42 »

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

The manual https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/install.html should walk through..

Under the "Erase Disk and Install Linux" section..
Make sure you back up what you need/want to separate partition or drive..
When using Erase Disk make sure selecting the LL partition.

Lots of folks opt for a /home partition during install, my understanding is it makes for easier future updates...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

( SOLVED ) Deleting Partition
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:29:47 PM »

oxo42

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi I have been dual booting WinXP and L.Lite 1.0.8 / I now want to use L.Lite 2.6,
How do I delete linux partitions and prepare the disk for new install of L.Lite 2.6 to dual boot with Windows.

I have looked in archives without any results.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:20:25 PM by oxo42 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section