You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Checking if my machine uses UEFI.

Author (Read 3042 times)

Re: Checking if my machine uses UEFI.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:03:27 AM »

MarkB

Thanks for the reply. My own initial hunch was that I would be OK - NTFS and not FAT32 for the SYSTEM partition - but I do appreciate the confirmation.

Looking forward to installing LinuxLite and having the whole weekend to 'play' with it.

Thanks again for your help.

MarkB

Re: Checking if my machine uses UEFI.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:16:23 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
You're fine.  Windows is installed in Legacy/Bios mode on your machine.

There are currently 3 primary partitions.  The limit is 4.  That will not be a problem.  Only thing you should do is defragment the partition called "C:" drive in Windows before installing LL.

As a precaution, backup anything important and make Windows recovery DVD's if you don't already have them.

Then you have a choice:

1.  Run LL installer, pick "Alongside Windows" when you see the choice on "Installation Type" screen, and shrink the Windows partition on the next step.

OR

2.  Boot LL DVD and use a program on the live Linux disk to shrink the partition.  It's under Menu -> System -> Partition Drives.  The program is called GParted and there is a tutorial showing how to use it here:  http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html.  Shrink partition first, then close GParted and run the installer.

Which ever way you choose, try to make at least 20GB for Linux, but don't shrink by so much that Windows has no room for expansion.  Look in Windows disk management before you run LL installer to see how much of that C: partition is being used by your files.  (Picture shows it is 454GB, but can't see the "used" column.)  Determine how much you are going to allot for Linux based on the room you have left minus how much extra room you want to leave for Windows.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Checking if my machine uses UEFI.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »

MarkB

In line with the suggestion made in the install guide, could I ask someone to please take a look at the attached pdf file that contains a snapshot of the Windows Disc Managament screen, just to make sure that my machine does not use UEFI before I try to install LinuxLite. I do not think it does because the small parttion at the start of the disc is formatted as NTFS and not FAT32 but I would welcome a second - better informed - opinion.

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin, more than 25 days old]

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section