You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

2.0 Install problem

Author (Read 6061 times)

Re: 2.0 Install problem
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 05:23:56 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
Got me. Thanks for your interest.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Thanks.

Still find it confusing that error messages said they were already running.  Maybe it was just a generic message that didn't quite fit what was actually happening.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

.mozilla and .thunderbird profiles were copied from backup and pasted as administrator into home folder.  I could not start the programs as a normal user. They were never opened as administrator.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Glad you got it solved Coastie and thanks for posting solution.

I'm still a bit unclear on what happened.  Correct me if I'm wrong on my interpretation of what you said.  Sounds like when the .mozilla and .thunderbird profiles were copied/pasted as administrator, ownership was changed to root.  Then when you started the programs they ran as root and could not be shutdown properly as a normal user.  Then (I'm guessing based on what you said before) their "still running" state during shutdown was saved and they were being "auto-restored" when you restarted the system because of that -- which then caused continual problem with error messages.

Does that sound like right interpretation of what happened?  Or did I get it wrong?

I'm going to bookmark your post so I don't forget it.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

That was the problem. I had copied a theme into themes as administrator and then copied .mozilla and .thunderbird as administrator too. Everything is working great now.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

Thanks,

I think I found the problem searching the internet. I tried it again on the DVD and it worked.

I thought I had to open my home folder as administrator because I could not paste into my home folder. I think I pasted into root home so I could not use it as regular user. I think I just had not clicked the mouse in the home folder is why it would not paste.

I will try to install tomorrow when I have more time.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

That's a strange one!  Have never heard of Firefox and T-Bird running automatically after an installation before.  Nor on a live DVD either.  Did I read that correctly?  You can't even run Firefox from the live DVD?

Maybe the ISO download was corrupted, or the burned DVD was bad.  Check the md5sum of the ISO file to make sure it matches the one shown on the download page.  Re-download if no match.  Try burning another DVD at slow speed and see if that works any better.

If that wasn't the problem and you've still got LL 2.0 installed, boot into it.  (If not, boot from live LL 2.0 DVD again.)  Try Firefox again.  If it says it's running in background again, open a terminal and enter this:

Code: [Select]
sudo killall firefox
Wait 5-10 seconds after running that, then try opening Firefox again.  If that worked, do the same thing for T-Bird if it is also still having problems.  Code for that would be:

sudo killall thunderbird
If you got lucky and those codes worked to allow you to start the programs normally, close them, wait 10 seconds, then try starting them again to see if the problem returned.  If "yes" (problem again), report back here to let us know.  If "no" (problem now gone), close programs as usual, shutdown/reboot computer and see if problem is gone for good or if it returned.

If problem returned, check Menu -> Settings -> Session and Startup -> Application Autostart and look to see if they are listed as being autostarted on boot.  (Disable them if they are; then reboot again.)

If none of the above has helped, post back with details of your computer hardware and add any additional details describing the problem if there is anything new you'd like to add.

There is a nice terminal program called inxi that will provide a nice listing of your hardware details.  It is not included by default in LL, so you need to install it.  It can be used from either your installed system or the live DVD.  Below is outline of how to install it to either environment.  Also, the procedure is slightly different depending on the version of LL being used.

To install inxi to LL 2.0 enter these commands in a terminal (one line at a time):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install inxi
inxi -Fxz

To install inxi to LL 1.0.8 or 1.0.6 enter these commands in a terminal (one line at a time):
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:unit193/inxi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install inxi
inxi -Fxz

Copy the output of that last command (listing your hardware) and paste it between code blocks here in the forum.  (See here for how to do that.)

2.0 Install problem
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:07:47 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

Installed 2.0. Firefox and Thunderbird would not start because they were said to be running. Rebooted as instructed. Still the would not start. uninstalled  both completely and installed Chrome and tried to import .mozilla from backup file to see if I could get bookmarks. Chrome said Firefox was running even though uninstalled. Reinstalled Firefox and Thunderbird without using backup .mozilla and still said they were running. Tried to open Firefox from install dvd but still said were already open. I think they may have run on installation or dvd before I replaced .mozilla and .thunderbird.

Reinstalled previous OS and everything works.

Is this fixable so I can run LL 2.0?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section