You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

[SOLVED] Transfer LL from laptop to desktop w/ win7 sp1 (side-by-side)

Author (Read 21374 times)

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I just ran redo on a second machine and successfully backed up win7 to a USB stick and then restored it to a sata drive in one of these type things http://www.cclonline.com/product/74499/25SATSAS35/External-HDD-Enclosure/StarTech-com-2-5-inch-SATA/SAS-SSD/HDD-to-3-5-inch-SATA-Hard-Drive-Converter/HDD3071/

I rebooted with an F12, selected the new drive and got a grub error because I'd written grub to the original drive so I booted into my primary linux partition done a "sudo update-grub", rebooted and got 2 windows options one on sda1 and one on sdb1.

Both were bootable but now I have the problem of 2 win7's cluttering up my grub menu! I hardly ever use windows.

I found the redo installer very unintuitive! I'll do it again and take some screen shots or do a video.

I might try again on machine one as win7 is on a 40GB drive there with an untouched windows MBR so should boot off F12

PS
Don't know why Windows wouldn't boot
I think it error because of the backup file whichI'd copied from my data partitio to a USB
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:28:38 AM by ukbrian »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Thanks for running the tests.  Don't know why Windows wouldn't boot.  If original install was OEM version, maybe it will only boot from an internal disk due to restricted MS license built-in to it?  (Just a guess.)

Any chance you can post GParted screenshots of the USB drive you made the Macrium (or Redo, or both) clone to?
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Do you happen to know if the Redo Backup is just a complete clone of the drive?
I've never used it but my understanding is that it is and would make a good fall back

I found restoring clonzilla much to complicated for my little brain but might be the solution as tripple aught is more capable than I.

I have used Reflect for my windows backups for many years, I'm looking at the "Direct disk cloning" on this page as the free version does this. http://www.macrium.com/pages/features.aspx

I'll clone my win install on a SSD drive to an external USB and see what happens.

I have never had a need to use USB's as I use RW DVD's but out of curiosity I used saline to clone a running LL install to a ntfs USB writing the MBR to the drive.

It booted into the USB and the install was persistent and I was able to clone LL onto another HDD.

I'm off to try cloning my windows now but I'm a slow methodical guy so don't rush me.

edit
Using Reflect I cloned win7 to a external USB drive, set the bios to boot off it and it failed, rebooted into my usual OS, run update-grub rebooted and it appeared in the menu but failed to boot. I don't have an official win7 CD so I can't try to restore the windows MBR.

I don't see any logical reason why Redo do would fail, it's only copying files and the MBR not doing anything with the partition table so I'll try next with Redo.

edit
I've created the backup file 22 GB, clicked on restore and it's asking for my source drive? not my backup file, very strange and my data partition doesn't seem to be listed.

I'm copying the backup folder onto a USB stick to see if that gets listed.

Any experienced redo users about?

edit
Well I managed to find my backup files on the USB stick and started the reinstall but at 60% it erred with a crc error or something so I'm trying on a second machine now
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:26:05 AM by ukbrian »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Redo Backup, qt4-fsarchiver and Macrium Reflect all copy the MBR, does Clonzilla?

Maybe clone the windows partitions to the USB drive with gparted, sort out the MBR for the bad drive and then clone back again and run the Win 7 install/restore disk.?

Using GParted is a good idea too.  I always forget about that.  Thanks for the reminder ukbrian.

@ukbrian,

Do you happen to know if the Redo Backup is just a complete clone of the drive?  If it is then tripple aught could keep that and just use GParted to copy/paste the backed up partitions and not restore the MBR from the backup.  Then use Windows restore disk to get booting restored.  Then install LL.

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Redo Backup, qt4-fsarchiver and Macrium Reflect all copy the MBR, does Clonzilla?

Maybe clone the windows partitions to the USB drive with gparted, sort out the MBR for the bad drive and then clone back again and run the Win 7 install/restore disk.?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 05:15:36 PM by ukbrian »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Besides, you have a reputation to uphold - everything you touch is supposed to turn to gold. Touch this project ! :-)

Well, I don't know about that -- doesn't seem to be working here ... yet.  ;)

I'm wondering if there's really something screwy about the aftermarket install of Win7 on the desktop.... Other people with Win7 don't have to jump through these hoops - do they?

No, this kind of problem is rare.  Most of the time a dual-boot installation is relatively simple.

I was curious about the WARNING in the command response to Fixparts....

Actually, I'm glad you brought that up again.  I ignored it before because was focused on what should have showed up but didn't.  So I looked up info on partitions marked as 0xEE to see what that meant and came across this page:  http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html.  It's written by same guy who wrote the FixParts program -- who is an expert on partitioning related stuff and much of what I've learned came from his writings.

In a nutshell, it looks like you've got what's called a "Hybrid MBR" on your disk.  I'm not even going to try explaining what that means because I don't have full grasp of it myself.  (Read the link for yourself and you'll see why I say that.)  Basically it sounds like a rats nest and somehow your Windows installation was created with that instead of a normal MBR.  That is causing the problem of GParted not seeing the partitions.

Before proceeding:
  • Make sure your backups are good and that you can access the files.
  • Make sure you have a Windows install/recovery disk handy.
What you want is a normal MBR on that drive.  Very, very long-shot idea that may work:  use your Windows install/restore disk to fix the MBR.  My thinking is that maybe if you run the commands to redo the MBR, that might create a normal MBR itself.  If it works, then you'll have saved yourself many hours of work.  So here's a link describing how to do that:  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html.

If that didn't work then I'm going to outline two other possibilities.  Both of them will require that you wipe out the disk and make a new (normal) MBR to start with.  That can be done with GParted from your live LL disk.  In GParted, just go to Device -> Create Partitition Table -> "msdos" -> OK.  That will make a new MBR/(msdos) partition table and Windows will be gone.  Then ...

Option 1:  try copying cloned partitions back to the drive.  (Completely unsure if this will work.)

I'm not very familiar with Redo Backup, but if you created a clone of the drive I'm worried that you may not be able to use that to clone back on to the original drive because it might clone back the hybrid MBR with it.  If you can just clone back each partition separately (instead of whole disk at once), then that might not happen.  In that scenario, it might work as an easy way to get your system setup quickly, but you'll need to run a Win 7 install/restore disk to put the boot loader back on the disk.  Worst case scenario is that you can't copy the cloned partitions, but you can at least copy back any files you need from them to a new installation of Windows (option 2).

Option 2:  Reinstall Windows from scratch, then install Linux Lite.  (This will work.)

This will work, but it reinstalling Windows and your programs will take a loooong time.

Once you've wiped out the drive by creating a new MBR partition table, use GParted to create one NTFS partition on the drive and make it the size that you want Windows to be.  Leave rest of disk unused, unpartitioned.

Close out of live LL and reboot computer with Windows install disk.  Direct installation to that one NTFS partition.  (Windows will automatically create any other partitions it needs -- probably one small system related partition.)

After the install completes, I'd recommend you DO NOT bother installing Windows updates or any additional programs for right now.  If for some reason you run into the same problem, you want to find that out before you waste more HOURS with updates and program installs to Windows.

Now boot with live LL disk and open GParted.  If you see the Windows partitions, breath a sigh of relief and go ahead with your installation.  You can pick "Along side Windows" and it will automatically make a Root and Swap partition for you in the unused space.  Or, if you pick "Something else", you can make the partitions yourself.

If all that worked, you should now have a dual-boot system.  Now is the time to go ahead and do your Windows updates, install addition programs to it, copy your backed-up files on to it, etc.

Good luck.

tripple aught

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
  I was curious about the WARNING in the command response to Fixparts....

But to answer your question: I have a 320GB USB drive that I have the REDO backup on now. It's empty except for that. It's my understanding that you can not boot from a USB drive... is that correct ?

I could redo the REDO onto a USB stick as backup and have the entire 320GB free.

I'm wondering if there's really something screwy about the aftermarket install of Win7 on the desktop.... Other people with Win7 don't have to jump through these hoops - do they?

I'm thinking that there aught aught aught to be a way to put LL on the desktop with Win 7... I'd like to stay with that plan if possible.

PS.  FYI : I'm open to all possibilities. I will be using LL as my main system... I just still want the windows for programs that can't run with a Linux system. If there's a way to put Win (X) on another drive and have LL take the whole desktop, I would be ok with that. ALSO be it known that in no way would I ever even think about holding you accountable for anything that may happen to the desktop.... so if there's something wild and crazy that you would like me to try... consider it a learning experience for everyone... a 'project' (of sorts) . Hi

Besides, you have a reputation to uphold - everything you touch is supposed to turn to gold. Touch this project ! :-)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:50:04 PM by tripple aught »
Lester  N5EDX

Be not a drop in the ocean, Be the entire ocean in a drop.

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hmmm?

It didn't seem to find GPT data as I expected it to.  (You were correct to exit the program after that.)

Now I'm stumped!  Going to need to think about this for a while.  Will post back later today to let you know if I come up with any other ideas or not.

Can't remember if I asked this before or not:  Do you happen to have another hard drive you can connect to computer and install LL to?  Might end up being best to just have Windows stay on its own drive and put LL on a completely separate drive.

tripple aught

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Excellent - you got me thinking that if the message on the package installer window sez that 'the same version is already installed' then why not try to run Fixparts before I run the installer.

I did.  It worked.

As you see I pressed q to quit.
please advise other actions if any....
Lester  N5EDX

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

You were absolutely correct.... The first time I ran just the install for fixparts without the commands. (ooops)

Latest times to run have been with commands.

Alright, that makes more sense now.

Here are the 'prep' screens (df -h)  (sudo blkid)  (sudo parted -l) I did this just to see the different information provided.

Output is fine, but made me realize that my inclusion of the df -h command is useless from the live environment for this purpose -- so I removed that command from the tutorial.

>  I re-downloaded the Fixparts App and ran it again from Live LL disk on desktop.

There is a message on the 'install screen' : "same version is already installed"

> Pull up the command terminal and...

Code: [Select]
linux@linux:~$ sudo fixparts /dev/sda
sudo: fixparts: command not found
linux@linux:~$

Are you using a live DVD, or did you make a live USB with persistence?

Only way it could have shown that it's already installed is if you're using a live USB with persistence.  Otherwise, you might just be misinterpreting the message shown in GDebi package installer after install is completed.  After installation, it will now read as package already installed instead of giving you option to install it.

Anyway, I opened a live 32-bit LL in VirtualBox to see what's going on.  (I didn't have 64-bit version downloaded for use, so just substituted the one I already had.  Should make no difference at all as far as test goes.)
  • Confirmed that fixparts package does not already exist in the live version.
  • Downloaded the fixparts_0.8.8-1_i386.deb file from this site to the Downloads folder.  (Yours should be the fixparts_0.8.8-1_amd64.deb file.)
  • Opened file manager to Downloads folder and double-clicked the .deb file to begin the GDebi package installer.
  • Told GDebi to install the package and it did without any problems.
  • Checked in terminal again to see if fixparts now available as a command and it was there.
So everything seems to work as expected in my test and fixparts command does exist after installing the .deb file.  There must be some miscellaneous small step you're missing or not doing exactly right -- even though it certainly sounds like you're running the steps right.  Double-check what you're doing against steps above.  After installing the fixparts package, open a terminal and enter this command:
man fixparts
The manual page showing how to use fixparts should now be displayed in the terminal.  To exit the man page, type the "Q" key -- that will return you to the prompt.

If you didn't see the manual page and instead got a message saying it couldn't find anything, then you didn't install the fixparts package correctly.  Try again and this time take a screenshot of the GDebi window that shows up initially and another screenshot of the window after the installed completes.  (Menu -> Accessories -> Screenshot.)

Find your screenshots and rename them fixparts1.png and fixparts2.png.  Follow directions shown here to add them to your reply:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=487.0

tripple aught

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
   You were absolutely correct.... The first time I ran just the install for fixparts without the commands. (ooops)

Latest times to run have been with commands.

Here are the 'prep' screens (df -h)  (sudo blkid)  (sudo parted -l) I did this just to see the different information provided.
linux@linux:~$  df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/cow            929M   45M  884M   5% /
udev            915M  4.0K  915M   1% /dev
tmpfs           186M  1.4M  185M   1% /run
/dev/sr0        738M  738M     0 100% /cdrom
/dev/loop0      706M  706M     0 100% /rofs
none            4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           929M   16K  929M   1% /tmp
none            5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none            929M   80K  929M   1% /run/shm
none            100M   24K  100M   1% /run/user

linux@linux:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda1: LABEL="System" UUID="08C2894BC2893E46" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="WIN 7 SP 1" UUID="889C8B189C8B0044" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sr0: LABEL="Linux Lite 2.2 64-bit" TYPE="iso9660"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="USB20FD" UUID="2A72-97E1" TYPE="vfat"

linux@linux:~$ sudo parted -l
Model: ATA WDC WD800JD-60LS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  4030MB  4029MB  primary  ntfs         boot, diag
 2      4030MB  46.3GB  42.3GB  primary  ntfs

Model: PNY USB 2.0 FD (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8167MB

1      28.7kB  8167MB  8167MB  primary  fat32        lba

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sr0.         
Ignore/Cancel? I                                                         
Model: TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H353C (scsi)
Disk /dev/sr0: 774MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

>  I re-downloaded the Fixparts App and ran it again from Live LL disk on desktop.

>  There is a message on the 'install screen' : "same version is already installed"

> Pull up the command terminal and...

I know it's frustrating... but keep in mind that you are being blessed for helping the poor, old, blind, cripple folks .
Lester  N5EDX

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

From what I can tell, your partitions are fine.  No need to use sfdisk to restore parts.txt because you didn't alter anything before.  (Try not to mess with commands like that if you don't have to.  One mistaken typo could cause serious problems.)

Let's back track a little.  I don't understand why the fixparts command is not working now when it did before when you posted here:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/index.php?topic=1555.msg10975#msg10975

Did I misunderstand you on that post?  I had thought that you meant you installed the .deb file, then ran the fixparts terminal command -- which ran, but did not report any problem with stray GPT data.  Was that what you did?  Or did you only install the .deb file and not actually run the program in the terminal?

If you did install and run it on that post, then you must be doing something slightly different now because it doesn't make any sense for it to be any different on these later attempts.

tripple aught

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Here is:
sudo parted /dev/sda print

linux@linux:~$ sudo parted /dev/sda print

ALSO instructions for Fixparts said:

BEFORE you proceed, make a backup copy of the partition table on the HDD with this command (substitute YOUR device name letter for the 'X'):

Code: Select all
    sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sdX > $HOME/Desktop/parts.txt

* Copy the 'parts.txt' file that appears on your Desktop to a USB stick (or some other external source) for safe keeping because it will be lost when you exit the live environment.

* If you have to restore the partition table for some reason, you can use that "parts.txt" file by doing the following:

* Boot computer with 'live' DVD
    * Copy 'parts.txt' file from your source to the Desktop of the 'live' DVD
    * Then run this command in a terminal (substitute YOUR device name letter for the 'X'):

Code: Select all
    sudo sfdisk -f /dev/sdX < $HOME/Desktop/parts.txt

Soooo I'm thinking there may actually be something wrong with partitions so I used print.txt:

linux@linux:~$ sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > $HOME/Desktop/parts.txt
linux@linux:~$ sudo sfdisk -f /dev/sda < $HOME/Desktop/parts.txt
Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ...
BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy

This disk is currently in use - repartitioning is probably a bad idea.
Umount all file systems, and swapoff all swap partitions on this disk.
Use the --no-reread flag to suppress this check.

Disk /dev/sda: 9729 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Old situation:
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *      0+    489-    490-   3934208   27  Hidden NTFS WinRE
/dev/sda2        489+   5634-   5145-  41325568    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sda4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
New situation:
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot    Start       End   #sectors  Id  System
/dev/sda1   *      2048   7870463    7868416  27  Hidden NTFS WinRE
/dev/sda2       7870464  90521599   82651136   7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3             0         -          0   0  Empty
/dev/sda4             0         -          0   0  Empty
Warning: partition 1 does not end at a cylinder boundary
Warning: partition 2 does not start at a cylinder boundary
Warning: partition 2 does not end at a cylinder boundary
Successfully wrote the new partition table

Re-reading the partition table ...
BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy
The command to re-read the partition table failed.
Run partprobe(8), kpartx(8) or reboot your system now,
before using mkfs
If you created or changed a DOS partition, /dev/foo7, say, then use dd(1)
to zero the first 512 bytes:  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo7 bs=512 count=1
(See fdisk(8).)

I don't know how to interpret this, but it looks like there's something rotten in ..... oh wait....
can't say that here...

Hope this sheds more light.

>rebooted into Win - ok
>rebooted Live LL disk - Install doesn't see   /sda
>tried Fixparts again - 'command not found' - no typo errors

Lester  N5EDX

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Have no idea why your getting "command not found" message after you've installed the .deb file.  I'm sure you already did this, but just in case:  try again and make sure that no typos happen on the fixparts command.  Other than that, I have no clue why it's not working because it should.  (You can't seem to get a break can you?  Nothing seems to want to cooperate for you.)

Try running parted command this way in a terminal and see if it returns something different from before:
sudo parted /dev/sda print
Post back the output.

I'm really at a loss on solving this now.  It seems to me that you're not doing anything wrong and your drive clearly shows that you've pre-shrunk Windows and correctly left unpartitioned space on the disk for LL; so normally there would be no problem installing at this point.

P.s.  Do you happen to have a spare hard drive laying around that you can add to your desktop system?  Maybe you can just keep Windows on its current drive and install LL to the second one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:12:43 PM by gold_finger »

tripple aught

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
More Info:

linux@linux:~$ sudo parted -l

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sr0.         
Ignore/Cancel? i                                                         
Model: TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-H353C (scsi)
Disk /dev/sr0: 774MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 2048B/2048B

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

linux@linux:~$ sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda > $HOME/Desktop/parts.txt

Lester  N5EDX

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section