You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Remaster / Livecd / Systemback / Customizing Iso for friends

Author (Read 6501 times)

Re: Remaster / Livecd / Systemback / Customizing Iso for friends
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 06:33:59 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

I need to take a look at this. You see, I'm trying to create my own Linux Lite-based anti-virus and disaster recovery CD/DVD/LiveUSB, with built-in Broadcom Wi-Fi support. However, persistence just doesn't seem to be working as I have hoped it would.

I'd also like to add Broadcom support to Redo Backup, or even better - incorporate Redo's partclone GUI into LL...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:41:11 AM »

rijnsma

• Forum Regular
  • Never give up..
    • View Profile
Yes greenisland,

The best thing I found for producing 'live-media' this far is 'systemback'.
Get the right version. Learn with care how it works. And test!
And it does simply and perfect what is needed.
It does more than making live-media. It can even make restorepoints and copy a system to
another partition.

I think all who are interested to save their system also this way were waiting for this one.. :D

See:
Launchpad.net/systemback
http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/

In my opinion very important for this family of Operating Systems.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »

greenisland

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Well not to have a conversation with myself, but I added the ppa (the daily version) installed systemback, created a live system backup, installed the 8.2 gb live file to a usb stick, put it in another computer, and it booted right up with what looks like a duplicate of my system. 

I have a lot more playing and investigating to do, but thought I would post this initial report in case anyone else is looking for something like this.

Notes:
 - to install the liveimage from the usb, you boot from the usb, then go into systemback from the desktop menu,  and choose install from there.  Systemback has its own installer that is maybe not user-friendly but works.
 - it installed grub but did not find my existing windows system.  I already had grub-customizer installed on the system, so I started that and it allowed me to save a new grub with all the operating systems it found.
- systemback has exactly what I was looking for - a menu-driven system for picking what files and directories to exclude from the live image process.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:20:32 AM by greenisland »

Remaster / Livecd / Systemback / Customizing Iso for friends
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »

greenisland

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have been using LL now for six months, and really like it.  My current issue is that I have a couple of tweaks I want to make before I install Linuxlite on a friend's computer (and several of my own), and that leads me back to prior discussions of live-cd making and remastersys, etc.  The type customization I am focusing on is setting up the XFCE panel at the bottom of the screen with the particular options I (and my friend) are looking for, making sure a couple of key desktop icons are in place, etc.  I gather that may also mean that I'll need to understand how to make sure my XFCE configuration gets into etc/skel so that when my friend installs on his new computer, he can set up his own user account.

Over the holidays I purchased blacklabimager and I am fairly pleased with that, but I am still looking for other alternatives for making a custom livecd.  My personal home folder has grown pretty large, and I have lots of programs installed, and and I am going to have to figure out how to scale that back and deal with the iso size limit.

I could probably study the command line options for blacklabimager (if there are any) but I am looking for something easier.    I came across SYSTEMBACK http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemback/  which says it can do system and data backups AND create a livecd with lots of options.  Does anyone have any recent experience with this or alternative methods for customizing a livecd?  I've seen a couple of threads over six months old, but this seems to be a moving target.

thanks
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:02:52 AM by Scott(0) »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section