Hardware - Support > Hard Drives and SSDs

Linux (LL) compatible SSD

(1/3) > >>

dentalcher:

--- Quote from: stevef on September 11, 2021, 02:22:01 AM ---Having previously always used HDD I installed the Crucial SSD on my system a year ago.  The motivation was to improve boot time and the trigger was the release of LL 5.0.  I was impressed with both.  I don't recall doing anything outside of the standard instructions current at the time.

For what it is worth, I think defective hardware rather than your method is more likely the cause of the type of issues you have described given your HDD version works fine.

--- End quote ---

thanks again @stevef . It's important for me to verify that I did the proper procedure so I really do appreciate your reply. Hopefully the next SSD I get would install and run LL without any problem at first try.

stevef:
Having previously always used HDD I installed the Crucial SSD on my system a year ago.  The motivation was to improve boot time and the trigger was the release of LL 5.0.  I was impressed with both.  I don't recall doing anything outside of the standard instructions current at the time.

For what it is worth, I think defective hardware rather than your method is more likely the cause of the type of issues you have described given your HDD version works fine.

dentalcher:
Hi all. Thank you so much for your tips and suggestions. Sorry, took me quite a long while to thank you.

Thanks @trinidad  for your suggestion. I actually checked this site and was thinking of getting this brand when I returned the Kingston A400. Crucial did a helpful job to those looking for a compatible SSD with the computer models. But I held off because it wasn't stated that it was compatible with Linux in the product description in the vendor site (Amazon.ca). Like I mentioned, many known brands have not specified there which OS they support, some lesser known brands specified otherwise. I’m trying to avoid making an error purchasing and end up returning again... Coming from a tech expert like you to check on computer model compatibility/ availability gave me an answer that it is more of the hardware, and not the OS to look into. Thank you.

Thanks @stevef  for reminding me to use the LL Hardware Database. I used this when I was about to install LL, and when I uploaded my own after successfully installing it with my old HDD. To narrow down, I checked those with the same CPU. I noticed mostly those with SSD use Kingston, I saw one with the same make and closest model to my pc using an older Kingston SSD version of  the model I returned (how ironic, it didn't work for me) ... also, Crucial, and some other brands... With this, it just strengthens Trinidad's tip that it is really not the OS, as  they were able to use different brands of SSD with Linux. Thank you as well for mentioning that you use Crucial yourself, and that gives me an inclination to try this brand.

It is also worth noting though that there are still some not fully compatible yet with Linux as mentioned by @Jerry (thanks, Jerry!) e.g. some Samsung SSD models.

Thanks @Moltke  again for your detailed guide in diagnosing (I couldn't think of a better word) compatibility with SATA Rev type and BIOS. I still find using the Terminal a bit overwhelming but I'm learning, and with your post, I can use this should I need to re-check SATA Rev type and BIOS... All brands say they are backwards compatible with regards to Rev type. And the hardware Database has comparable pc to mine using SSDs, so I think it’s safe to say that they would work in my pc too. Re BIOS, I checked in AsusSupport, there is no firmware change, and the update is for an issue I don't experience with my pc, and also mentioned "without any special Reason, no need to update...," So, I guess, I will leave the BIOS untouched to avoid possibility of messing with it (I read it happens sometimes). Thanks as well for the extra effort checking Kingston for compatibility with my device. I appreciate that.

So it boils down to at least 2 probabilities, I guess, either the SSD I tried was defective, or I made an error in the whole process of replacing the drive and installing LL?

So I'd like to go back to my 3rd question - Is there anything that I should do 1st to lessen the chances of  problems installing LL in the new SSD?
The SSD fit well, and my pc recognized it so I believe I placed it correctly. I both tried installing LL using a bootable DVD following the instructions in the Manual. I used this with my old HDD, and successful at first try. I used this DVD twice with the new SSD. All attempts failed, so I decided to use PloP on DVD + Bootable USB stick (my pc’s BIOS does not have an option to boot from USB) following instructions in the Manual. This method I used for all the install attempts then after. Since I intended to have LL as the only OS in my PC, the steps were fairly simple to follow, it’s always clean install in all attempts. But there was always a problem. As mentioned, I never had trouble installing and running LL with the old HDD. Anything that I forgot to do?

Jerry:
Just be weary of these - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Samsung-860-870-More-Quirks

Moltke:
I've already started my research :) And it seems I do have a few options from Kingston for my HP 2000-2b09wm https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/laptop/hp/2000-series/hp-2000-2b09wm-laptop and this one seems to be compatible too https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436926462&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+evo+850 So, I guess you need to research, and I did look for it here https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/ssd-upgrades/laptop/asus/k-series but it's not listed. So, maybe Kingston doesn't support your device. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version