Hardware - Support > Hard Drives and SSDs

Linux (LL) compatible SSD

<< < (3/3)

dentalcher:
Hi. I need your help regarding internal SSDs. I am not tech savvy so please pardon me if my questions sound absurd to you:
1.   Will internal SSD work with a very old (12-year-old) laptop?
2.   Are there specific SSD brands/models that are compatible with Linux particularly with Linux Lite (LL is the only OS in this computer)? Some lesser known SSD brands include compatibility with Linux in their product description but I’m worried about their durability. The more known brands do not specify that they are compatible with Linux.
I asked because I replaced the original 320GB HDD (using only 15% OS + files) of my ASUS K401N with a Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA. I chose this because the memory (4GB) is also Kingston, and I believe, it’s a reliable low-cost brand. It fit perfectly, computer recognized it, but every time I would install LL 5.4 (always clean install, “Erase Disk and Install Linux” type) there was always a problem after another i.e. error in copying files during installation; cannot open an App; Install updates error (which I posted 2 issues in Installing Software section of the forum); Busybox Initramfs error every time I would reboot, etc. I never had trouble installing and using LL with the old HDD. After around 15 re-install attempts, I realized it was the SSD causing the problem. So for now I’m back with the HDD but I’d like to make it work faster so I want to replace the drive with an SSD.
3.   Is there anything that I should do first like formatting the SSD for LL, etc.?

Thanks very much for your input!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version