You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Formatting a USB drive

Author (Read 9804 times)

Re: Formatting a USB drive
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Omygosh! Yes, kill it. It should be a matter of seconds, not hours!
Well that's not exactly true. Depends what the OP means by "format". Some things take quite a bit longer:  i/e writing multiple passes of zeros, re-formatting from Windows tools, re-formatting an xFAT drive, converting sectors from xFAT to ext4. Simpler to format to FAT32 first then allow the installer to install ext4. Insufficient info from OP on what is exactly going on. Doesn't need MintStick application in any case using Linux Lite.
TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Re: Formatting a USB drive
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 05:46:04 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Omygosh! Yes, kill it. It should be a matter of seconds, not hours!

I actually use MintStick for formatting USB thumb drives. In the application menus it shows up as Menu -->Accessories --> USB Formatter. You can download it from here and use Gdebi to install it.

Formatting a USB drive
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 04:21:35 AM »

param96

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i3 M 380 (4) @2.53 GHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: No dedicated GPU

I started the process of formatting my USB drive (64 gb) through GNOME Disk. 2 hours have elapsed and still the process has not completed. Previously I had formatted my 4gb Sony pen drive which formatted in a few minutes. I have also changed the file system to Ext4. Does it usually take this long or should I kill the process?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section