You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Why do I have to reboot to use the USB ports?

Author (Read 9835 times)

Re: Why do I have to reboot to use the USB ports?
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
So nobody else has had this issue at all. That makes me feel special.

Hello Tyrannocaster,
you can reset the USB sub system these ways without rebooting - https://askubuntu.com/questions/645/how-do-you-reset-a-usb-device-from-the-command-line 

PS I gave you +1 for your comment, now you is special.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:16:49 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 11:39:35 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: e5300

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
LOL, I wouldn't even know how to do that! No, it's just a plain installation on a SSD. I just booted from a Bodhi Linux USB and tried using the flash drives and they all worked fine after removal and reinstallation. I haven't tried with a Linux Lite USB because I have to burn one and for some reason I seem to be short on drives at the moment. I need to try that, because maybe the Linux Lite USB disk will work fine too - that would be a real drag if it's just something that happens on an installed version.

But at least I had to reboot to get out of the Bodhi live disk, so I have one use of my USB disk left before I have to reboot. :-)

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 10:42:57 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Are you running Linux Lite as a VM in Qemu or OracleVB?

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 10:48:48 PM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

So nobody else has had this issue at all. That makes me feel special.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well, I had this problem all along and apparently nobody else did with 4.0 because I posted about it several times - I just didn't know I had to reboot. The 4.0 has been upgraded every week so it's as current as it can be. I'm not willing to go to 4.4 unless I have a good reason, and so far I don't see why the upgrade would fix it for me when nobody else had the problem before. It's very frustrating.

Maybe I should try booting off the 4.4 install ISO and see if I still have the problem.

I was hoping there is some sort of command line thing that would let me re-initialize the USB port. It seems really peculiar that the USB port works on bootup but stops letting me copy to it after I take a drive out. It reads fine from the re-inserted flash drive, though.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 10:32:43 AM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb

I have no problems on linux lite 4.4. Upgrading within series is simple via lite upgrade.
And if not working install updates with "install updates" before upgrading.

Why do I have to reboot to use the USB ports?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:38:44 AM »

Tyrannocaster

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I've been using Linux Lite [4.0] for several months now with mostly no problems. However, there is one dealbreaker which I have been putting up with that has just gone too far. I didn't really understand the problem until yesterday, when I figured it out - although I only figured out the symptom, not the cause. I thought the USB performance was just erratic - sometimes I could copy files to a USB drive, sometimes I couldn't. Yesterday I figured out that when I can't copy to the USB drive, I have to reboot and it will work...until I remove the USB drive. From that moment, no matter what drive I stick in the USB port, the system won't let me copy anything to it.

Is there some way of re-initializing the USB port to avoid this? Obviously, this is not sustainable in a workflow context.

The machine is a HP Pavilion p6110f, if that helps.

Thanks,

Ty

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section