Hardware - Support > Hard Drives and SSDs

Why do I have to reboot to use the USB ports?

(1/5) > >>

Tyrannocaster:
Yes. (To Safely Remove/Eject, I mean.) That is, when it lets me. It doesn't always let me, and sometimes when that happens, it NEVER tells me it's been released. I also try using the eject triangle next to the drive's name, which I assume does the same thing. I like Lite a lot but honestly, the problems I've had with using USB drives have been pretty much constant.

--- Quote from: torreydale on May 22, 2019, 10:47:05 AM ---@Tyrannocaster ,

When you remove the USB, are you right clicking on the USB's icon via the file manager (Thunar) and selecting Unmount or Safely Remove/Eject?

--- End quote ---

EDIT: I've been searching and reading and it really seems like this is a Linux issue and not a Linux Lite issue - there are so many people who have problems with USB drives and Linux. The Ubuntu forums have lots of threads but it goes beyond Ubuntu based distros, too.  :-[

For those of you who don't have these problems, consider yourself lucky!

torreydale:
@Tyrannocaster ,

When you remove the USB, are you right clicking on the USB's icon via the file manager (Thunar) and selecting Unmount or Safely Remove/Eject?

Tyrannocaster:
Because that isn't a permanent fix; it will only last until I reboot. I've tried it.

--- Quote from: minesheep on April 21, 2019, 02:38:55 PM ---
Why to not fix it permanently via the administrator window

--- Quote from: minesheep on April 21, 2019, 05:24:03 AM ---If you can access the drive with root account in thunar right click it again and select "Properties..." and allow write and read permissions from "Permissions" tab. Now it should work until you format it again.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

bitsnpcs:

--- Quote from: Jerry on April 20, 2019, 02:33:06 PM ---Freedom isn't free.

--- End quote ---
+1 very deep, and wise words  8)

Tyrannocaster:
Yes, that seems to work, although it requires an admin window, and it seems just as easy to just keep the admin window open (I have four virtual desktops, so it's not in the way). But it's an easy thing to do. What I wonder is why do the permissions get changed each time I unplug the USB drive? Should that happen?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version