You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Problem with installing LL-only (single boot) to Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Author (Read 3574 times)

Re: Problem with installing LL-only (single boot) to Samsung 850 EVO SSD
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 02:22:17 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
@m654321

Glad it's sorted... The mysteries of computers.  ???

Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Don't use a separate boot partition. Grub should be at the beginning of the first partition on the disk. The message is just a prompt for windows rescue media because your computer can't find the disk. It's been my experience that if you try to use a separate boot partition on some computers, even with legacy mode enabled, the BIOS will not find the disk. This is because the UEFI loader is still the default whether or not you enable legacy mode; legacy is just an added feature; thus the system looks for Windows disks first; thus the prompt, because Windows defaults to the media channel when disks are unavailable. There are tricks to get around this, not too difficult, but since you have already succeeded I won't go through them.
TC 
Thanks Trinidad - I've never used a separate /boot partition - was just querying it, though had half-assumed it wasn't necessary.  Many thanks too for your explanation as to why my UEFI laptop doesn't recognise a GPT formatted SSD that has only LL installed on it, i.e. without a Windows OS installed alongside it.  This makes perfect sense.

Cheers
Mike
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Don't use a separate boot partition. Grub should be at the beginning of the first partition on the disk. The message is just a prompt for windows rescue media because your computer can't find the disk. It's been my experience that if you try to use a separate boot partition on some computers, even with legacy mode enabled, the BIOS will not find the disk. This is because the UEFI loader is still the default whether or not you enable legacy mode; legacy is just an added feature; thus the system looks for Windows disks first; thus the prompt, because Windows defaults to the media channel when disks are unavailable. There are tricks to get around this, not too difficult, but since you have already succeeded I won't go through them.

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:34:29 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

If you are only going to boot LL, I would suggest just regular MSDOS partition option, not sure if GPT really gives you anything.?

The only time I have seen that message was on 1 install when for whatever reason the BIOS boot disk order got messed up.

If you are not even seeing the SSD in the BIOS, check the SATA/Power cables.
Also check for a possible BIOS update on the MOBO/PC website.
Your suggestion to use an MSDOS partition table worked - thanks Dave.  I've no Bios-grub partition option now, as I've removed the GPT format so I've simply installed LL with '/' and '/home' partitions.  I've never used a separate /boot partition,  but am assuming this is not necessary, even if, at a later date, I was to add another linux distro to the SSD. 

It's interesting that I'm unable to install LL on its own on a GPT formatted Samsung 850 EVO SSD.  It might be because the laptop concerned is a UEFI one [see laptop type in (1), in sig below).

Interesting, because elsewhere i.e. setup (3) in sig, I installed LL (single boot) without difficulty on a GPT formatted Corsair BX100 SSD, but the laptop involved was not a UEFI one.  So maybe whether the laptop is a modern UEFI type or an older one (without UEFI) is what determines whether a Linux distro can be installed alone (single boot) and reboot successfully on a GPT formatted disk.

The power cables are fine as another Samsung 850 EVO (with a win8.1/LL dual-boot on GPT) shows the 'P0:.....' entry in the boot list in PC settings.

Mike
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:40:28 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 06:14:19 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
If you are only going to boot LL, I would suggest just regular MSDOS partition option, not sure if GPT really gives you anything.?

The only time I have seen that message was on 1 install when for whatever reason the BIOS boot disk order got messed up.

If you are not even seeing the SSD in the BIOS, check the SATA/Power cables.
Also check for a possible BIOS update on the MOBO/PC website.
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

Problem with installing LL-only (single boot) to Samsung 850 EVO SSD
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:55:29 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

I am feeling more confident now in moving away from a Win/LL dual-boot to an LL only PC.  However, I wont ditch Windows OS totally, but will keep it in a virtual machine for some of those things that are still a bit difficult to do in Linux generally.

With the above in mind, I thought I would replace the Win8.1/LL2.8 dual-boot, already installed on one of my 250GB Samsung 850 EVO solid state drives, with LL3.0 only.

Before, installation I made sure the PC was in Legacy/CSM mode and once I was in the LL3.0 live environment (using a DVD) I opened gparted to wipe the drive clean and ensure I had a GPT formatted SSD.

Once that was done I executed LL3.0 installation, allocating 15MB for Bios-grub, 30GB for /, and 50GB for /home.  All went very smoothly, as expected, until I rebooted.  On rebooting, the PC did not boot into LL but instead I got a black screen with the following message in white letters:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Following this message, I went into PC Settings and noticed that the line "PO: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB" does not appear in the boot list. Furthermore, there appears to be no option to add this to the boot list.  I don't know what to do next.. I'd be grateful for any help/advice.

Just for the record, I'm using laptop (1) - see signature below.
Many thanks for any help - I'm beginning to pull my hair out with this seemingly intractable problem... :-[

Cheers
Mike
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:45:41 PM by m654321 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section