You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux (LL) compatible SSD

Author (Read 13496 times)

Re: Linux (LL) compatible SSD
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »

dentalcher

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA C79 [GeForce G102M]
Having previously always used HDD I installed the Crucial SSD on my system a year ago.  The motivation was to improve boot time and the trigger was the release of LL 5.0.  I was impressed with both.  I don't recall doing anything outside of the standard instructions current at the time.

For what it is worth, I think defective hardware rather than your method is more likely the cause of the type of issues you have described given your HDD version works fine.

thanks again @stevef . It's important for me to verify that I did the proper procedure so I really do appreciate your reply. Hopefully the next SSD I get would install and run LL without any problem at first try.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 02:22:01 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Having previously always used HDD I installed the Crucial SSD on my system a year ago.  The motivation was to improve boot time and the trigger was the release of LL 5.0.  I was impressed with both.  I don't recall doing anything outside of the standard instructions current at the time.

For what it is worth, I think defective hardware rather than your method is more likely the cause of the type of issues you have described given your HDD version works fine.
clueless

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 11:17:52 PM »

dentalcher

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi all. Thank you so much for your tips and suggestions. Sorry, took me quite a long while to thank you.

Thanks @trinidad  for your suggestion. I actually checked this site and was thinking of getting this brand when I returned the Kingston A400. Crucial did a helpful job to those looking for a compatible SSD with the computer models. But I held off because it wasn't stated that it was compatible with Linux in the product description in the vendor site (Amazon.ca). Like I mentioned, many known brands have not specified there which OS they support, some lesser known brands specified otherwise. I’m trying to avoid making an error purchasing and end up returning again... Coming from a tech expert like you to check on computer model compatibility/ availability gave me an answer that it is more of the hardware, and not the OS to look into. Thank you.

Thanks @stevef  for reminding me to use the LL Hardware Database. I used this when I was about to install LL, and when I uploaded my own after successfully installing it with my old HDD. To narrow down, I checked those with the same CPU. I noticed mostly those with SSD use Kingston, I saw one with the same make and closest model to my pc using an older Kingston SSD version of  the model I returned (how ironic, it didn't work for me) ... also, Crucial, and some other brands... With this, it just strengthens Trinidad's tip that it is really not the OS, as  they were able to use different brands of SSD with Linux. Thank you as well for mentioning that you use Crucial yourself, and that gives me an inclination to try this brand.

It is also worth noting though that there are still some not fully compatible yet with Linux as mentioned by @Jerry (thanks, Jerry!) e.g. some Samsung SSD models.

Thanks @Moltke  again for your detailed guide in diagnosing (I couldn't think of a better word) compatibility with SATA Rev type and BIOS. I still find using the Terminal a bit overwhelming but I'm learning, and with your post, I can use this should I need to re-check SATA Rev type and BIOS... All brands say they are backwards compatible with regards to Rev type. And the hardware Database has comparable pc to mine using SSDs, so I think it’s safe to say that they would work in my pc too. Re BIOS, I checked in AsusSupport, there is no firmware change, and the update is for an issue I don't experience with my pc, and also mentioned "without any special Reason, no need to update...," So, I guess, I will leave the BIOS untouched to avoid possibility of messing with it (I read it happens sometimes). Thanks as well for the extra effort checking Kingston for compatibility with my device. I appreciate that.

So it boils down to at least 2 probabilities, I guess, either the SSD I tried was defective, or I made an error in the whole process of replacing the drive and installing LL?

So I'd like to go back to my 3rd question - Is there anything that I should do 1st to lessen the chances of  problems installing LL in the new SSD?
The SSD fit well, and my pc recognized it so I believe I placed it correctly. I both tried installing LL using a bootable DVD following the instructions in the Manual. I used this with my old HDD, and successful at first try. I used this DVD twice with the new SSD. All attempts failed, so I decided to use PloP on DVD + Bootable USB stick (my pc’s BIOS does not have an option to boot from USB) following instructions in the Manual. This method I used for all the install attempts then after. Since I intended to have LL as the only OS in my PC, the steps were fairly simple to follow, it’s always clean install in all attempts. But there was always a problem. As mentioned, I never had trouble installing and running LL with the old HDD. Anything that I forgot to do?

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 06:37:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 12:14:36 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I've already started my research :) And it seems I do have a few options from Kingston for my HP 2000-2b09wm https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/laptop/hp/2000-series/hp-2000-2b09wm-laptop and this one seems to be compatible too https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1436926462&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+evo+850 So, I guess you need to research, and I did look for it here https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/ssd-upgrades/laptop/asus/k-series but it's not listed. So, maybe Kingston doesn't support your device. 
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 11:34:55 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@dentalcher Is this your pc? http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/asus-k40in-review/

I don't really have any experience dealing with SSDs, but I can see that the k40n(from that review)ships with a 320GB 5400RPM hard drive, whereas the Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA uses a SATA Rev. 3.0 connection. I suggest you find out whether the k40n SATA ports meet that. You can do that via terminal:
Launch Linux Lite Terminal and type
Code: [Select]
dmesg | grep -i sata | grep 'link up' and hit Enter. For example, running that in my hp notebook I got this
$  dmesg | grep -i sata | grep 'link up'
[    3.611072] ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    3.611145] ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
Another way to find out SATA info is
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdX | grep "^SATA" # replace X with the appropiate, i.e /sda
hit Enter and type in your password when asked, then hit Enter again. Here I get
$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep "^SATA"
SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 1.5 Gb/s
Once you know that, you might try searching for a SSD that meets the Rev. type and specifications. You could use this service https://linux-hardware.org/
First, you'll need to install the pkg hw-probe
sudo apt install hw-probe once installed, make a probe with
sudo -E hw-probe -all -upload Note that
Private information (including the username, machine's hostname, IP addresses, MAC addresses, UUIDs and serial numbers) is NOT uploaded to the database.
Also, it might be that you need to upgrade the bios' firmware. https://www.asus.com/us/SupportOnly/K40IN/HelpDesk_BIOS/ To check whether that's the case, in LL terminal run
sudo demidecode --type bios and if the version is lower than the one from the link above, you might consider upgrading it.
I've been thinking on replacing the HDD for a SSD on this hp too, now it seems I need to research about that, thanks to your thread :)
NOTE: Like I said, I don't have experience dealing with SSDs, so the info about is mostly intended to help you ping-pointing the possible reasons you're getting issues, and hopefully find a solution, what I mean is, that I could be wrong about the whole thing, and neither the SATA Rev type nor the bios have anything to do with that. Just wanted to make that clear. :)

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

Did you look at the Linux Lite hardware database at

https://www.linuxliteos.com/hardware.php

There's 60000+ computer variants that have been reported as working.  Searching for 'ssd' reports 6000 results.  Maybe scan through those to try to find some SSD models which you can then check for current availability and compatibility with your hardware.

Personally, I'm happily running LL 5.6 on a Crucial CT250MX500SSD1 which I selected after checking the hardware DB.
clueless

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 10:40:08 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Search like this:

best SSD for ASUS K401N-VX129RHere's a start:
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/k40in

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:47:25 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 09:09:04 AM »

dentalcher

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Can you share the specs of your pc? I suggest downloading LL 5.6 https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php and try with that one. Also, if the SSD has warranty, you might consider returning it and ask for another one.

Hi Moltke. thanks for your reply.
My pc:
ASUS K401N-VX129R
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz FSB 800MHz, 2M L2 Cache
4GB DDR2 Memory
320GB HDD SATA
(1366x768) nVidia GF G102M 512MB VRAM (dedicated)
Intel® GL40 Express Chipset +ICH9M
Motherboard: 60-NVNMB1100-C22 Asus K40IN Intel Motherboard s478

Please let me know if there are other info you need. I already returned the SSD. That's why I"m seeking your help so I can get the right one. I intend to upgrade to LL 5.6 once I finally have an SSD. I just started to use Linux late July, the LL 5.4 - my first ever Linux after reading so many FOSS articles/blogs re "Windows Alternative" and "Best Light Weight Linux Distros". For now I'm sticking with 5.4 - it's running well and I'm learning & loving it...

Thanks again!

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 08:54:49 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi. I need your help regarding internal SSDs. I am not tech savvy so please pardon me if my questions sound absurd to you:
1.   Will internal SSD work with a very old (12-year-old) laptop?
2.   Are there specific SSD brands/models that are compatible with Linux particularly with Linux Lite (LL is the only OS in this computer)? Some lesser known SSD brands include compatibility with Linux in their product description but I’m worried about their durability. The more known brands do not specify that they are compatible with Linux.
I asked because I replaced the original 320GB HDD (using only 15% OS + files) of my ASUS K401N with a Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA. I chose this because the memory (4GB) is also Kingston, and I believe, it’s a reliable low-cost brand. It fit perfectly, computer recognized it, but every time I would install LL 5.4 (always clean install, “Erase Disk and Install Linux” type) there was always a problem after another i.e. error in copying files during installation; cannot open an App; Install updates error (which I posted 2 issues in Installing Software section of the forum); Busybox Initramfs error every time I would reboot, etc. I never had trouble installing and using LL with the old HDD. After around 15 re-install attempts, I realized it was the SSD causing the problem. So for now I’m back with the HDD but I’d like to make it work faster so I want to replace the drive with an SSD.
3.   Is there anything that I should do first like formatting the SSD for LL, etc.?

Thanks very much for your input!

Can you share the specs of your pc? I suggest downloading LL 5.6 https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php and try with that one. Also, if the SSD has warranty, you might consider returning it and ask for another one.

Linux (LL) compatible SSD
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 01:36:58 AM »

dentalcher

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi. I need your help regarding internal SSDs. I am not tech savvy so please pardon me if my questions sound absurd to you:
1.   Will internal SSD work with a very old (12-year-old) laptop?
2.   Are there specific SSD brands/models that are compatible with Linux particularly with Linux Lite (LL is the only OS in this computer)? Some lesser known SSD brands include compatibility with Linux in their product description but I’m worried about their durability. The more known brands do not specify that they are compatible with Linux.
I asked because I replaced the original 320GB HDD (using only 15% OS + files) of my ASUS K401N with a Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA. I chose this because the memory (4GB) is also Kingston, and I believe, it’s a reliable low-cost brand. It fit perfectly, computer recognized it, but every time I would install LL 5.4 (always clean install, “Erase Disk and Install Linux” type) there was always a problem after another i.e. error in copying files during installation; cannot open an App; Install updates error (which I posted 2 issues in Installing Software section of the forum); Busybox Initramfs error every time I would reboot, etc. I never had trouble installing and using LL with the old HDD. After around 15 re-install attempts, I realized it was the SSD causing the problem. So for now I’m back with the HDD but I’d like to make it work faster so I want to replace the drive with an SSD.
3.   Is there anything that I should do first like formatting the SSD for LL, etc.?

Thanks very much for your input!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 10:01:49 AM by dentalcher »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section