You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

how to install windows 7 on my hard drive

Author (Read 7619 times)

Re: how to install windows 7 on my hard drive
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 03:40:37 AM »

jclassic1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: intel pentium D 3.00Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: pentium D
Thank you all for your advice.
I may not have to bother though as I think she is after a new laptop.

Anyway thank you all

John

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Three main options:
  • Use GParted to resize/move current Linux partitions to make room for Windows at beginning of disk.  Then install Windows to the free space you made at beginning of disk.  After that you'll need to use live LL dvd/usb to re-install grub to get booting of LL restored.
  • Clone your current LL install to external source.  Wipe out drive with GParted.  Then install Windows to beginning of drive and leave space after it to restore the LL clone to.
  • Use GParted to wipe drive clean.  Then install Windows to beginning of drive.  Then install LL to end of drive.
Last option is easiest and will take the least amount of time.  Just copy any important data files you have in your home folder to a usb stick for safe keeping and restore them to home after you've re-installed.  If you've got your browser and email all set-up and don't want to do that again, copy their hidden folders to the usb stick too.  (Eg.  Open file manager to your home folder, hit <Ctrl+H> to show hidden files/folders, look for and copy the ".firefox" and ".thunderbird" folders.  After re-install and before you start either of those programs for the first time, copy those folders into your new home and they should be used automatically.  NOTE:  on new install use the same username that you're using now.)

Open GParted while booted with live LL dvd and delete all current partitions on drive.  (You'll probably need to right-click the Swap partition and choose "Swapoff" before you can delete it and possibly other partitions.)  There's a GParted tutorial listed on this page if you need it:  https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tutorials/linux-basics-useful-beginner-information/.

After deleting all partitions, make one new NTFS formatted partition at start of disk and set it to approximate size you want for Windows to use.  (Probably best to give it at least 40-50GB.)  Leave rest of drive unpartitioned.  Install Windows and tell it to use that NTFS partition.  Install LL after that and choose the "Along side" Windows option from installer.  It should then automatically use the unpartitioned space and make its own partitions for you.  (If you prefer to have a separate /home partition, you'll need to use the "Something else" install option and make partitions yourself.)
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 06:52:25 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
Nice one firenice03 :)
Thank you sir ;D
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Nice one firenice03 :)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

In any dual boot situation, Windows must be installed first, then Linux.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

As Jerry said, wipe out and restore Windows (if the restore partition still exists) or by CD..

OR install Virtualbox and run Windows in a virtual environment (VM).. Will still need CD/.iso and license key...

Another thought - is there a specific application she needs/likes/prefers?
Maybe able to install it in Wine if there isn't Linux specific application replacement...

Some options to think about..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:24:36 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

In any dual boot situation, Windows must be installed first, then Linux.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

how to install windows 7 on my hard drive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 06:13:34 AM »

jclassic1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: intel pentium D 3.00Ghz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: pentium D
My old desktop computer used to run Windows 7 but I have wiped the hard drive and now have only Linux Lite installed.
This is great for me but my wife does not like the Linux system and would like to have the Windows 7 installed as well.
I have no idea about using gparted program to set up the hard drive so I can install windows and need someone to give me step by step instructions on how to do it.
Looking at the Gparted set up is really putting me off of trying in case I ruin what I already have installed.

Please help me as the wife is threatening to buy a new windows computer if I cannot sort it out.

Thanks

John

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section