Hardware - Support > Hard Drives and SSD's

Good idea to clone HDD to ssd?

<< < (2/3) > >>

firenice03:
Just a thought -- something you might want to think about...
Is as you're plugging/unplugging disks --- If both were plugged in together.. The /dev/sdX may be different.

i.e.
if the 500/136 was sda and the 160 is sdb its not necessarily going to boot... Or vice versa
Grub doesn't know where the bootloader resides...

You may wanna try, connecting the disk boot to a LiveUSB, once at the desktop launch terminal and run

--- Code: ---sudo update-grub
--- End code ---

it should scan and repopulate the OS's..
Not sure what was done with "boot repair disk" .... but maybe the above will help resolve....

I haven't tried with a clone.. but you "could" connect both disks and update grub - it should see both LL's

DeepThought:
@firenice03

--- Quote ---You may wanna try, connecting the disk boot to a LiveUSB, once at the desktop launch terminal and run
Code:
sudo update-grub
--- End quote ---

Won't that try to update-grub on the liveusb ? I think you will need to create a chroot environment on sda and then update grub there :)

waynebob:
Booted a LL 4.6 dvd with both HDD's plugged in (machine will not boot from usb). Did sudo update-grub.
Got /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of '/cow'.   ??
Question : I kind of thought if you had 2 HDD's each with an OS that the bios would determine which would boot, just like when you have to put the DVD drive first in line for it to boot.
Apparently I was wrong?

firenice03:

--- Quote from: DeepThought on December 17, 2019, 03:38:04 PM [email protected]

--- Quote ---You may wanna try, connecting the disk boot to a LiveUSB, once at the desktop launch terminal and run
Code:
sudo update-grub
--- End quote ---

Won't that try to update-grub on the liveusb ? I think you will need to create a chroot environment on sda and then update grub there :)

--- End quote ---

Eh you maybe right on that... @DeepThought Thanks!!   
and each/either will need to be mounted .. i.e. /dev/sdxY will need to mounted then chroot  then grub could be updated....

The following should do this... although I'm not at my system else I would test the commands... @DeepThought this more on par? missing anything

For x the corresponding letter (sda or sdb ... ) Y the number (sda2 or sdc1) - You'll need to know these.. *It maybe sda but confirm and I would start with 1 drive not both..

From the LiveUSB...

--- Code: ---sudo mount /dev/sdxY /mnt
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---sudo chroot /mnt
--- End code ---

--- Code: ---sudo update-grub
--- End code ---

If grub needs re-installed

--- Code: ---sudo grub-install /dev/sdxY
--- End code ---

Reboot

firenice03:

--- Quote from: waynebob on December 17, 2019, 06:40:06 PM ---Question : I kind of thought if you had 2 HDD's each with an OS that the bios would determine which would boot, just like when you have to put the DVD drive first in line for it to boot.
Apparently I was wrong?

--- End quote ---
@waynebob
Kind of..  BIOS says skip all else and go look for something I can use.. Or go find something usable in this order..
Whether Windows or Linux there is a boot manager/boot loader. Grub is this boot manager of sorts. Depending on how many OS's or disks it will list all available OS's.
- You could have 4 OS's on 1 disk, BIOS doesn't care just wants to know where/which disk....
Grub says where on the disk to go find it - Win?? Linux Lite 1,  LL 2, or LL3   :)
Updating grub tell grub to scan the disks for an OS.. Then it will display them. -- Yes you could have multiple LL's running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version