You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

External hard drive not detected or recognised

Author (Read 38727 times)

Re: External hard drive not detected or recognised
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 03:21:50 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
If you have another PC... put the drive only directly in that, boot LL Live and see if you can see it..??
That will prove the drive is Kaput... You said you have already ruled out the caddy...
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »

br1anstorm

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
My last thought on this is that the drive may be formatted as exfat. This was common a few years back on MS storage devices.

Thanks for your continuing interest!  But no, the paperwork confirms that it shipped formatted NTFS (the user leaflet even includes instructions on how to reformat for use in a Mac).

I think it's definitely R.I.P. for this deceased Iomega drive!

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
My last thought on this is that the drive may be formatted as exfat. This was common a few years back on MS storage devices.

You could try: sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

best of luck
TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 09:21:09 AM »

br1anstorm

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Your best bet is probably to try the windows command line, and if you can get to mount properly clear it with the windows partition manager.
 You might be better off to buy a 10$ SCSI to SATA adapter as suggested if you cannot use the windows disk manager to configure the disk order and convention in order to mount it. It's not mounting in Linux so the volume itself maybe using a proprietary paged startup convention, which only allows it to appear correctly in the windows build it was set up for, or it has an older windows security feature enabled, or it is using a striping convention for an older dated raid setup.
It's hit or miss as to whether the disk is still operable, but if it was working when you stopped using it, it is probably still operable, unless you had it in a high dust or high humidity area.

TC

Thanks trinidad for those further thoughts.  Not sure I have fully grasped all the detailed tech advice (I'm no expert in configuring, mounting, bus start up conventions, and all the other procedures you mention - and unaccustomed to command prompts in Windows and also command line working in Linux).

But what I can say is that, using some online advice (youtube...) I did try to find or see this pesky drive in a Windows laptop using command prompts (diskpart and list disk).  It didn't show up. And I have no idea how to "get it to mount" in Windows.  The disk clearly won't mount in either Windows or Linux, although both seem to see the SCSI controller and list the device as a USB device - with the reference ST 932032 5AS (which seems to be the ID or model number for the Iomega 320GB portable HDD, as my other external drive, which is the same Iomega model, has the same ref number...).

I don't quite understand the "SCSI to SATA" adapter comment.  When I took the actual hard drive (its a standard 2.5 HDD just like those in most laptops) out of the Iomega enclosure and tried it in another caddy, it was clear that the drive had the standard SATA connector.  This plugs into the PCB interface/adapter in the caddy which enables the USB connection.

I have all original packaging, instructions and serial number.  The drive doesn't have any fancy configuration or encryption:  it is supposed to be usable out of the box on Windows or Mac.  My other identical drive is configured NTFS, works fine with Windows and Linux.  The packaging says some proprietary EMC Mozyhome online backup software is preinstalled.  I have tried contacting Iomega Customer Service (now owned by Lenovo).  Their answer was 'can't help, it's out of warranty' (even though it is new and unused).

So I fear this may be a lost cause.  Unless or until I can get to see the drive in either Windows or Linux, I can't format, initialise, or do anything else with it on the lines of those tips in the link kindly provided by merlin.  There is no personal data on the drive which I need to retrieve.  With regret, I'm coming to the conclusion that the HDD itself is faulty or dead and that there is no easy way to bring it back to life.

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 07:34:59 AM »

merlin

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics (Cherryview) x86/MMX/SSE2

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 08:31:31 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Sorry again. I just noticed you said you never used it. Do you have the initial paperwork shipped with the drive? Start there if you do, and the serial number from the drive on the outside of the case.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 08:23:48 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

The disk path is listed the way it is (basically prepared for editing) so you can configure the correct disk path from a windows command line disk utility, i/e sda0 sda1 etc. and configure the bus start up conventions, however that will still not be correct if you attempt to run it from another computer. Your best bet is probably to try the windows command line, and if you can get to mount properly clear it with the windows partition manager. Then go to a Linux disk utility and format it however you like. Right now it is being seen as storage in linux because it is SCSI on a USB. You might be better off to buy a 10$ SCSI to SATA adapter as suggested if you cannot use the windows disk manager to configure the disk order and convention in order to mount it. It's not mounting in Linux so the volume itself maybe using a proprietary paged startup convention, which only allows it to appear correctly in the windows build it was set up for, or it has an older windows security feature enabled, or it is using a striping convention for an older dated raid setup. Redo Backup might be a solution too. It's hit or miss as to whether the disk is still operable, but if it was working when you stopped using it, it is probably still operable, unless you had it in a high dust or high humidity area.

TC

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 04:47:50 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Hi,

I'm almost certain the Seagate IOMEGA HD is a SATA drive.
If you have another PC, temporarily disconnect the drive(s) in that.
Plug in the drive from the IOMEGA.
Stick a Live USB stick in that PC and boot it, can you then see the IOMEGA Drive.?

Just a thought.... GL
ps
It does sound like the HD is toast though.... :(
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »

br1anstorm

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Sounds like only the controller/connection is seen...
But seeming more and more like HD failure..

Ah, that's interesting.  Also to my untutored mind the most likely conclusion. I didn't know how to interpret the evidence about the portable drive (or bits of it!) showing in some locations but not others.  It seems entirely credible to me that the computers are "seeing" the controller/connection/interface (which is working) but not the actual hard drive beyond it (which is dead.....and maybe just spinning in its grave).  So richtea was probably right!

I don't think the encryption angle is relevant:  the drive is brand new out of the box - I have not been able to see it, never mind put any data on it or encrypt anything.

I can't test it myself by connecting direct to a motherboard, as I don't have a computer which would enable me to do so.  But I suppose at some stage I could remove the hard drive and get it tested/checked somewhere.

Until then, maybe that's as close to a solution as we're likely to get.  Huge thanks again to all who helped with the detective work.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:34:58 PM by br1anstorm »

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

So I'm still baffled.  How come in Windows this portable external drive is listed in Device Manager but not in Disk Management?  How come in Linux Lite under System Info>Storage the drive shows up (with SCSI2 as controller), but is not seen - at all - in GParted?

Sounds like only the controller/connection is seen... Beside another caddy, have you tried connecting this disk directing to the MOBO (SATA/IDE) if you have ability via a desktop pc.
But seeming more and more like HD failure.. Only other thought that comes to mind would be some sort of Iomega Encryption; more than likely not since never being used prior...

Info: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268418-32-unlock-iomega-hard-drive-detected-computer

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »

br1anstorm

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks to all who have offered thoughts.  I'll respond to the various comments in roughly the same order.

richtea - I think you may eventually be proved right.  I'm ready for the possibility.  But I want to try and check beyond doubt that the patient is definitely dead, and not just sleeping or hiding!

Jocklad - thanks for the link to that video, which I had in fact already seen as well as a lot of other clips all about various possible reasons for a drive's failure to show.  In my particular situation, I have already disassembled the drive (the connections to the PCB were good);  I have fitted the hard drive itself into another enclosure with a different PCB interface (and it still didn't show on screen);  so I have reassembled it into its original casing again.  I don't think there is a physical/connection issue.

Merlin - I haven't yet tried that command line route.  But to be honest, I'm not optimistic that fdisk - l will reveal the drive (see below - I tried to do it via command line in Windows and got no joy). If it isn't listed, there's no point in going on to other commands.

trinidad - I understand what you are saying.  In GParted, on the top right of the screen there is indeed a dropdown box which should list and show all drives.  The problem is that it only shows the internal hard drive of my laptop (as /dev/sda - or what would be the 'C' drive in Windows).  There is simply no listing for my portable external drive:  so there is no disk name which I can click in order to highlight it and get details of the device.  But I'd be interested if you could explain/clarify the matter of a disk path, and the significance of an SCSI-configured connection.  Is this a clue as to where I should look, or what I could to, to track down the drive and make it "visible" on screen?

firenice03 - as mentioned above, the dropdown in upper right of GParted screen shows only internal/dev/sda.  Clicking on the dropdown does not list any other drives/disks.  This "invisible"  portable disk hasn't been used:  it is brand new, but will have some OEM Iomega software on it so should be initialised, formatted and maybe partitioned.  My other - identical - Iomega portable drive certainly was ready to use out of the box and I have been using it successfully for years...

In fact although I did not mention all the details in my original post, when I plugged the drive into a Windows laptop, it said "found new hardware" but the drive did not appear in the My Computer screen.  It did show up in Device Manager, but not in Disk Management. It was also listed in the "Safely Remove Hardware" popup.   So I did exactly what you suggest:  went into command-line, did diskpart and list diskOnly the internal laptop ("C") drive showed on the list.  No sign of the external drive.

So I'm still baffled.  How come in Windows this portable external drive is listed in Device Manager but not in Disk Management?  How come in Linux Lite under System Info>Storage the drive shows up (with SCSI2 as controller), but is not seen - at all - in GParted?

I wonder what to try next - before consigning this un-used HDD to the bin....

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 11:21:46 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Just a couple thoughts...

Plug in the drive then launch GParted after its launched and has located drives, in the upper right is a drop down (typically defaults to internal /dev/sda) can you drop this to the external? If so, does it list the disk possibly as all unallocated?

I ask as you mention it spins up in Windows but nothing shows - possibly this disk has not been used/configure and doesn't have a partition yet??? or not active of sorts?? Might just need to create a partition and format...

Or if you find yourself in WINDOWS - from a command prompt try..
Code: [Select]
diskpartonce it comes up to DISKPART> type:
Code: [Select]
list diskThis should list the disks attached (0 should be internal) and if the disk is active and size..

Again just a thought
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:28:43 AM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I'm sorry. The disk path is correct looking for a windows naming convention. It still should show up and be accessible from any newer Linux Lite live CD.

TC

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

G-parted only shows one disk at a time in the side menu when using external drives. You have to open the disk menu to select the other external disk. Click on the disk name (somewhere in the top menu I forget where, or maybe menu>device>) but you need the action that will produce a dropdown menu with every device listed. The first file you posted is a correct looking disk path for an external USB connected disk so the device is operable and must be listed. It may not show up in USB menu because it configures as SCSI.

TC

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »

merlin

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics (Cherryview) x86/MMX/SSE2
check your external harddisk with command fdisk -l
if your device detect, try create a new partition with this command cfdisk /dev/sdX (sdX is your drive on result from fdisk -l)
try to mount your harddisk, this is step:
1. Open your terminal and create folder usb in directory /media
# mkdir /media/usb

2. Then, try mounting your harddisk with below command:
# mount -t ntfs /dev/sdX /media/usb

3. If success, try open directory /media/usb

Hope this help!

Regards
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:10:53 AM by merlin »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section