You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

External Drive permissions

Author (Read 3424 times)

Re: External Drive permissions
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 03:10:17 PM »

Jim Adcox

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I have an update. 

I played around with it a bit more.  my external drive is attached via a usb.  it is an 8TB drive.

I partitioned it into 4ea 2TB drives, and formatted them for Fat32.

In my attempt to debug, I changed one of the disk to a EXT4 format.  This automatically made it available to change the permissions.

However I can not access it remotely in this format given it is system internal only.

My goal is to access the disk from my remote Mac laptops and to use the drives as backup (timemachine) drives.

External Drive permissions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »

Jim Adcox

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I just set up my home LL server.  wow, that was easy!  Everything went much smoother then expected all the way up until I try to actually access my external drive.

As Root I am able to access and edit the drive, but as a standard user I only see them as grayed out options and don't have create options.

I've logged in as Root, and have tried to change the permissions, but just errors out when I try and set them to a user or read and write.

I've tried doing this with the partitions both mounted and unmounted, and get the same result.

My goal is to have 4 network shares that can be accessed by my home users

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section