You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Cannot Open External Drives

Author (Read 3690 times)

Re: Cannot Open External Drives
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Fixed it.
I forgot to mention above that I couldn't correctly mount or access any internal partitions except the system's partition either, they'd show as mounted but when I tried to open all that would happen was Geany would open with the label or UUID as the title.

I used the program 'Disks' to edit the mount options of the internal sda3 from /media/home/Storage to /mnt/Storage, also set it to Identify as Label=Storage in the dropdown list.
Still didn't work, trying manually mounting & restarting.
Then I chown-ed /media & /mnt to my user, edited fstab manually to use the UUID for sda3 again instead of the label & to set the mountpoint back to /media/home/Storage, restarted & it mounted at startup & could be accessed as expected.
After that plugging in anything external mounts and opens as expected.
Maybe something to do with permissions was messed up or was changed by Systemback's install, I have no idea but it's all working well for now  8)

Cannot Open External Drives
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »

JmaCWQ

• Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I've just done an install from a Systemback image of my LL-2.8 system on the same hardware it was created on.
For some reason now when I plug in any external USB drive or mount an internal drive they open with Geany  :o
I'm guessing it's probably something simple that's been messed up by Systemback, but I have no idea what or even what to look for to fix it.

If I Open as Administrator from the Desktop or any folder, then navigate to the drives I can view all the files on the drives, copy, paste, delete etc..
I've chown-ed them to my user which did change ownership but I still can't access them from my user account, every time I try Geany opens with the drive's UUID or label as it's title.
Cannot change the permissions of any internal partitions, it appears to do so but they remain as root ownership.

Used Systemback a few times now without issues, on both EXT4 & BTRFS filesystems, this time it's BTRFS for sda1 & sda3, swap is sda2.

Never seen anything like this before and have no idea where to even start searching for a solution, hopefully without having to start from scratch with a clean install.
Was wondering if anyone's seen something like this or perhaps knows of a fix?

Thanks

EDIT: the rest of the install seems to work fine so far, programs work as expected, settings all kept etc. etc..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:03:55 PM by JmaCWQ »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section