You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

ROBLOX: is there anyway to get this working in LL?

Author (Read 12227 times)

Re: ROBLOX: is there anyway to get this working in LL?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:35:01 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Thank you for letting me know how it went Mike.
I have had the similar issues but with software, it keeps me tied to windows on one computer, which can be frustrating.
Maybe in the future some will work on the game for Linux.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 05:08:31 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

It also says it runs in VirtualBox , and I know you have tried this and it was not working.
I will look too for some more info.

Update -

Does this work ?

Many thanks bitsnpcs.
My son seems to have already seen the video you posted & tried it himself in LL2.8, but without success, so we both tried this again on LL3.4, and I followed the above video, that you posted, with him to the letter.

We used Crossover used in the video as an installer (I think this is a Wine extension), had Wine pre-installed and configured for Windows8, and seemed to have got Roblox Player and Roblox Studio versions (which both come with the Roblox package) installed, with their  red and blue icons automatically appearing on the desktop once the installation seemed to have run to completion. However, when finally we clicked on the play button for either the Player or Studio version, it didn't work: it either got stuck in a loop (Player version), asking if you wanted to download Roblox (of course it was already downloaded & apparently installed!); or just crashed (Studio version)  Judging from what I've read on the net it seems that, at the present time, Roblox will only work on a browser in a Windows OS.

Many thanks  for your interest and attempt to help us - much appreciated as always  :)

Mike
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:14:15 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

It also says it runs in VirtualBox , and I know you have tried this and it was not working.
I will look too for some more info.

Update -

Does this work ?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:27:46 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:53 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

http://roblox.wikia.com/wiki/ROBLOX_on_Linux
It says it will run using Wine.
Many thanks bitsnpcs. I had a closer look at this link and what it says is somewhat disappointing:

"As of May 15th, 2015, ROBLOX is considered a "Gold" application in the Wine App Database."
I checked this statement in the link given and a further link that expands on it: unfortunately the statement is misleading as apparently out of 5 trials involving Ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10, 3 were rated as "rubbish", one "silver", and only one rated as "Gold"...

Furthermore, the link goes on to say:
"As of July 22th, 2015, ROBLOX games shut down after loading the place. According to the ROBLOX Linux Wrapper Github Issue Tracker page, Wine seems to have networking issues, others speculate that ROBLOX is detecting Wine as cheating software, and others are saying that an OS lock is in place, preventing Wine from running ROBLOX."

My son tells me he tried ROBLOX in Wine, within LL2.8 [setup(3) in sig], but without success.  I haven't found any up-to-date references for Ubuntu 16.04 running ROBLOX in Wine, but will nevertheless give it a go with LL3.4 [in setup(4)]. I'll post back the results here as soon as we're done.

Many thanks again for your interest
Mike
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:02:11 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 11:08:45 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

http://roblox.wikia.com/wiki/ROBLOX_on_Linux

It says it will run using Wine.

ROBLOX: is there anyway to get this working in LL?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

ROBLOX is a popular browser-based game that only appears to be able to be played through a Windows OS, and I can't find anything online suggesting that it can be played on a browser through Linux? It is one of my children's favourite games. 

I have tried playing it in Win10 set up as a virtual machine but this didn't work - most gaming doesn't work in VM. So, have had to resort to a standard Win10 install just to play this game!

Any ideas or experience in getting ROBLOX to run in LL (or Linux generally) is really appreciated. As always, many thanks for any feedback.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:49:15 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section